The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Byron Townley / Dusty Britches
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2021 12:00 pm    

Sad to report something I just found out this morning. One of my old Texas compadres Dusty Britches, fiddler, singer, guitarist, cowboy, chuck wagon trail cook, and genuine Texan passed away peacefully on Monday Feb. 15 from the effects of a stroke he suffered on Sunday, February 14.

Dusty was a fixture on several music scenes here in TX, either in the Huntsville area, or in the Bandera area. He was a total hoot to be around, play music with, listen to his BS-laden stories, or eat his chuck wagon cooking. In the early 70's his domain was Southeast Texas, and sometimes Idaho, though in the last few decades he was busiest in the Bandera area NW of San Antonio.

William Byron Townley, better known as "Dusty Britches," vaya con dios mi amigo, y hasta luego. Volveremos a tocar la musica algun dia muy pronto.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2021 1:06 pm    

Thanks for posting this Herb. Dusty was a character, and just a nice guy who was fun to pick with and be around.

Last time I saw him (quite a while ago I guess), he brought me up to speed on his windmill restoration business. I guess he was still doing that (?)

R.I.P. Dusty

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Scott Moon

Canyon Lake, TX
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2021 8:37 pm    

Very sorry to hear about Dusty. Last time I saw him was in Bandera a couple years ago. He sat in and we played twin fiddles and he sang a couple tunes. What a great guy. Rest in Peace Dusty ^i^