56%  [ 74 ]
Barely use it
7%
 7%  [ 10 ]
Ack - who needs more weight to carry!
22%
 22%  [ 29 ]
Total Votes : 130

Author Topic:  Back rest on the seat? Yeah or Nay?
Robert Pastore

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2021 2:00 pm    

Contemplating getting a new seat, currently I gig with a fold up cushioned piano piano bench - but when I play at home I use a drum stool.

The drum stool has a back rest, bench does not.

I like the idea of having the back rest, but I normally sit towards the end of the seat (so my short legs can work the knee levers!)

Not sure how much use I would get out of it.

What say you, Pedal Steel Forum?

(FWIW - I'm in my 50s, so the back can get a little achey no and again)

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2021 2:58 pm    

I like a back rest, I do not sit with my back solid in contact with the backrest while actually playing.
But between songs it is nice to lean back and rest by back before the next song.
I have a seat without a back. It is stored somewhere, So if my backed seat breaks a leg I will have a spare.

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2021 4:18 pm    

I really like a seat with the back rest in the right spot. The first one I bought had a a rest but it was too low and didn't do much good. I was at a steel show and sat in a Steeler's Choice seat and the back rest was perfect, just where it needed to be to support me. Bought one and sold the other. On a 3 or 4 hour gig it is a life saver.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2021 6:27 pm    

I always used a plain old kitchen chair with a back.. Never ever liked backless pack seats.. Most of my live playing "career" pack seats with backs were rare or non existent.. When I used my pack seat in my 50's, I would have terrible back aches after a 4 hour gig, that were not a problem with a straight back chair... I would never buy a backless pack seat... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2021 6:42 pm    

I prefer a back rest, played for years using an old wooden folding chair that had stenciled on the back in black letters, ”Preston Funeral Home” that was given to me by the owner, followed by a Sho~Bud seat that I purchased down at the Broadway store sometime during the mid 70’s. Then, I bought a Steelers Choice with a backrest, think it was in the late 80’s and have preferred a backrest ever since then. I don’t always lean against it while playing 100% of the time but it’s nice to have for a rest whenever you need it. After being used to having a seat with a backrest for so many years, I once used another players seat while changing out bands. I forgot that his seat didn’t have a backrest and shortly before our set ended, I made the mistake of leaning backward to rest and over I went. Luckily, I recovered quickly without anyone of much importance noticing. Laughing

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2021 6:59 pm    

I also prefer a backrest. I never could use just a stool for regular guitar or just sitting. I tried a piano stool and it didn't take long to get a steelers choice with a backrest.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2021 7:14 pm    

I've been using drum thrones without a back rest since I started. Just a couple of months ago, I got a Gibraltar universal back rest, I really like it. I don't generally lean back against it, except when I do, and then it is very nice to have a little forward pressure to keep me from slouching.

This particular back rest is for drum thrones with the spinning seat height adjustment like the Pearl Roadster D1000N that has become my main seat the last year or two.

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2021 8:04 pm    

I’ve been using a Roc n’ Soc Nitro hydraulic drum throne with optional back rest and love it. Totally adjustable, very stable and comfy.
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2021 8:23 pm    

Backrest - absolutely for the same reasons the others stated above.

Richard Stoops

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2021 4:13 am     seat backrest

I have backrests on both of my Steelers Choice seats. One came with a backrest and I built the backrest for the other one. I did make the backrests higher so it came to the middle of my back and angled them back more. The original backrest seemed to be pushing me off the seat. After an hour, or so without a backrest my back begins to hurt. That's the same reason I have a backrest on my motorcycle.

Robert Pastore

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2021 5:59 am    

Awesome replies! Thanks everyone. I think a back rest is in order. I was looking at the Steelers Choice and was trying to decide on the backrest.

Looks like the old back will get a little support!

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2021 7:47 am    

Have a Steeler's Choice with a backrest and an old no-name without.When weight's an issue the no-name goes to work; when it isn't, the Steeler's Choice does

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2021 1:05 pm    

Most of the ones with backrests that I've tried push my butt too far forward on the seat.
I would buy one with a back if it was a perfect fit for me.

Brandon Schafer

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2021 2:44 pm    

I always viewed it as a way to make your seat heavier and less compact. So, I’ve never used one.

I also bet if I tried one, I’d like it while sitting in it!

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2021 2:44 pm    

My Scott Dixon seat, lightweight and sturdy.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Dan Rollans

Little Rock, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2021 6:24 am     Steelers Choice

Hey Robert, Thank you for the order. It will be ready to ship by Wednesday of next week.
I also want to thank all my satisfied Steelers Choice friends for the great recommendations. You guys are the the best!
Thank you, Dan Rollans @ Steelers Choice

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2021 7:34 am    

Before I bought a Steelers Choice, I built my own seat which was just a square box with plenty of space for extra gear in it. I made a seat back for it that attached to the back and stored inside the seat. Yes, I wouldn't own a seat without a back rest. Especially true when becoming a senior citizen. Now, if I could only have it heat and vibrate? Depending on who's singing, I could take a quick nap between songs.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2021 10:02 pm     If I Didn’t Have My Old Faithful.

If I needed a new seat a Steelers Choice would be my choice. This old Sho-Bud with my homespun back rest made from a leg brace will probably outlast me.

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2021 4:04 pm    

I bought a Steelers Choice with a backrest on it a few years ago and it's the most comfortable pedal steel seat I've ever used!

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2021 1:37 pm    

Definitely a back rest.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2021 2:17 pm    

So many seats nowadays have everything on 'em but the kitchen sink. I'm holding off until there's one marketed with an actual kitchen sink aboard. And perhaps a fridge.

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2021 7:51 pm    

I wouldn't bother with one myself. T.Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2021 12:32 pm    

Ive been using Steelers Choice seats for years, and just love the back rest ... perfect to rest against when your having a break, or between songs etc ...takes all the pressure off.

Dan will take care of you :-}
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2021 1:51 pm    

I use a steel seat with a backrest, and have for many years. I don't expect that's going to change anytime soon. But awhile ago I played a 3 or 4 set gig using a drum stool with no backrest. I expected it would be very uncomfortable, but it was no problem. I did not have any backpain from the gig.

Robert Jones

Branson, Missouri
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2021 4:02 am    

Hey Dan. I have sent you a PM. Check you messages please. No. I'm not a ghost. It's really me!!!
http://www.bjsbars.com/