The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need Suggestions for Rack Setup
William Carter

Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2021 5:19 am    

I am starting to think about a rack setup in case I ever have to play with a band that doesn't do amps on stage. I am only interested in country music. I am trying to get as close as possible to the sound of a Nashville 400 or Session 115.

I only want rack mount hardware. I do not want a box full of pedals, or any pedals or boxes that have to be strapped into the rack with zip ties.

I looked at Quilter's Steelaire rackmount, but I assume it is a power amp and not just a preamp. I also do not like the lack of mid-shift, as there is no way to cut around 800-1000 on this model. Their hi-mid is around 2k and lo-mid is 500.

I saw Line 6 Pod HD which looked like it might be a good turnkey setup. Does anybody know if it can get close to a Nashville 400?

One forum post mentioned the Presonus tube preamp as being a good one. Does anybody have experience with this one?

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2021 6:17 am    

https://vintageking.com/milkman-sound-the-amp-19-rack-version-vintage-king-exclusive

http://www.sarnomusicsolutions.com/products/rtp.html

There are so many options these days. I would make a list of the functions you need.

Will you be powering speakers at all ?
In ears only ?
Reverb ?
EQ ?

I wouldn’t be so set on 19” rack stuff. I can do everything I need with a standard Milkman “the amp” and it fits in my pac seat or in my carry on when I fly. I would also take a look at “the Ox” and the kemper modeling stuff.

Basically everybody is making a desktop instrument di these days that will suit your needs. The home recording market is blowing up. The quality in sound and build in the pro level stuff is astonishing. Even the guitar center/consumer level gear is getting really good.

Look at channel strips for more choices in the 19” and lunchbox format. There are amazing units available that are built for pedalboards also.

William Carter

Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2021 8:00 am    

So I'm looking for this to completely replace a Nashville 400. I will add a rack unit for delay/reverb if the preamp does not include it. I am not looking for anything to power speakers, because to me it doesn't make sense to replace 1 piece of gear (Nash 400) with 2 or more pieces (rack and speakers).

The end goal is to be able to play on stage without an amp, meaning possible in-ears and definitely a direct out to the main mixer console.

I hope to find a preamp with EQ similar to Peavey, with a mid-shift that can be set to 800-1k. I can always add a rack EQ unit if more is needed.

If Walker Stereo Steel were still in production, it would be the perfect fit for what I want, but nobody has filled that void since Walker retired.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2021 8:13 am    

Why do you need it to be in a 19" rack form ? I'm sure you have your reasons. I'm just wondering.

Also if you want a Walker amp I'm sure you can find one used. Maybe put a notice in the wanted to buy section.

William Carter

Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2021 8:20 am    

I want a rack just for convenience. Anything in a rack is stuck there really good, doesn't shuffle around. Once you put the covers on, you don't have to worry about what gets put on top of it, etc. Things shuffle around inside a tool box or pack a seat. Racks, you can leave everything plugged in together. When you open the top, you just have to plug it into AC power and the instrument/mixer.

Walker preamps do not come up for sale very often. I have been looking for a long time. Walker still sells preamps that he has refurbished, but they are twice the cost of what a used one would normally be. I am also not sure about buying something that is out of production, since I would not know how to get it serviced in the long term should anything go wrong.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2021 8:25 am    

Check this thing out:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ColourBoxV2--jhs-colour-box-v2-preamp-pedal

Stuff like this is actually better than rack gear that was popular in the 90's in every way. Full analog signal path, great transformers, studio quality EQ and versatile gain staging. Plus it fits in your pocket !
Massive progress is being made these days.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2021 8:36 am    

I'm with you on the convenience ! As far as Walker amps go they should be pretty easy for any amp tech to repair. If I was you and wanted to stick with a 19' rack I would buy that Milkman rack from Vintage King. The EQ and reverb are great. Also there is nothing better made or sounding than anything Brad Sarno builds. Both of those guys are real pedalsteel players with super customer support. They are both building amps for the best musicians on the planet and are at the top of there game.
If you want a more solid state punchy sound maybe look at Quilter gear.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2021 9:43 am    

I have the Pod HD bean and it comes nowhere near the same as the Nashville 400. One of the worst equipment eq layouts ever. And unless you use the eq effects your sound will suffer. My old Pod Pro and Pod XT was much better to use but with less features. The line 6 helix can sound great but I don't see a rack unit.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2021 9:48 am    

Larry Dering wrote:
I have the Pod HD bean and it comes nowhere near the same as the Nashville 400. One of the worst equipment eq layouts ever. And unless you use the eq effects your sound will suffer. My old Pod Pro and Pod XT was much better to use but with less features. The line 6 helix can sound great but I don't see a rack unit.

I wasn’t impressed with the Line 6 pods either.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2021 9:57 am    

Look for one of the Peavey Tubefex or Transtubefex multi-fx units. The Profex II was the first one but it doesn't have the XLRs out.

Make sure it has the Newman steel presets and very important that it has the batteryless mod. These are all you need to go to FOH. Connections allow for a XLR direct line out. The steel presets have the eq and effects already programmed into ea. patch so all you have to do is select a patch.

If you want a dedicated amp to go along with this, one of the 1 rack spc. lightweight DPC Peavey units such as 750, 1000 or 1400 bare amps work well with these.

Also consider one of the 1 rack space Stewart amps, but they are heavier.

All this stuff is 90s vintage, so older technology.

Quite frankly, I can't understand why this type of stereo rack stuff has lost favor with so many steelers.

It is so versatile and that's why I'm still using rack stuff. Mine is all TubeWorks and Boss/Roland gear, but that's just because that's what I found at the time I was setting it up or it might very well have been the Peavey fex units.

By all means the Walker pre or combo units as they are based on the Session circuitry. They come up from time to time if you are patient.

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 20 Jan 2021 7:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2021 11:53 am    

Could you not rack mount the chassis from a Nashville 400? I’ve seen that done with a Session 500 before.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2021 1:07 pm    

Not positive but it may fit. A rack is 19 wide and the Nashville cabinet is 20 wide. Need to measure the actual chassis width. I'm thinking maybe with a slight bracket mod it would fit. However the heat sink may require a several space rack to accommodate the size.

Johnie Helms

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2021 7:23 pm     Rack mount preamp processor

Try and checkout a older Roland GP100, single space preamp, they also have great sounding Verbs & Delays. And plenty of Preamps to choose from...

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2021 4:07 am    

Here may be an idea for you. This details how I "split" a 112.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=270418&highlight=

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2021 8:30 am    

What Johnie Helms said. Another vote for the Roland GP-100

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2021 8:48 am    

Don’t pass on the Quilter Steelaire rack mount. Yep, it’s power amp/pre amp. Between the Lo-Mid and Hi-Mid controls, you can get where you want to be. The onboard reverb is very good, but if you’re looking to get other effects, pair it with a Lexicon MX200 or similar unit and you’ll be good to go.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2021 8:49 am    

Deleted double post.

Last edited by Roger Crawford on 22 Jan 2021 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2021 9:11 am    

If you want a Stereo Steel - if it isn't already sold - https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=366102

I have nothing to do with that sale. It just sounded like what you're looking for, all ready to go together with TC Electronics effects in the shock-resistant rack.

I also personally love my Sarno Revelation rack preamp. No effects onboard, but a good effects loop. Basically a Twin Reverb preamp with a few extras in rack-mount form. I have two, don't really need them both, but just leave one set up at home and one in a rack for gigs periodically. That is - if any of us had any gigs. Muttering