The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Confused about Jackson vs Show Pro
William Carter

Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2021 9:40 am    

Between these two, which one is supposed to be more of the "modern Sho-Bud". Do both have some kind of ties to the original builders?

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2021 9:50 am    

Jackson has the direct ties. Show-Pro was started by Duane Marrs, who worked at Sho-Bud, and was very involved in their design and construction.
As far as which carried the brand along to where they might have gone...that's up for debate, I guess. JMHO...

Kelcey ONeil

Sevierville, TN
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2021 3:51 pm    

Sho-Pro would be much more akin to the “modern” Bud theme you seem to be interested in. Jackson’s are of a more prototypical and one off nature these days, some models push the envelope quite a bit.

Cody Stewart

Traverse City Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2021 10:33 am    

As stated before, Duane Marrs started the Show Pro Company and Jeff Surratt is his prodigy. It’s my belief that Paul Sr. And Duane Marrs both took Harry and David Jackson’s approach and elaborated tremendously. Giving you two great guitars: The Franklin and The Show Pro. Owning two show pros, I can say that they are superior to any modern guitar I’ve ever played, including Franklins. They are mechanically sound, easy to work on/maintain, and they look fabulous.

I’m sure the Jackson’s are also great guitars, but there seems to be more Show Pros out in the arena. that alone speaks volumes to me.

Jeff Surratt is a great guy to deal with. Give him a call!

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2021 2:49 pm    

There is not a bad steel made these days.. You cannot possibly go wrong with either one concerning a decision between a Jackson or a Show Pro pedal steel..

If you want to duplicate the original, old school, classic, authentic Sho Bud sound??.. Nothing I have heard yet comes as close to the old Bud sound as the Jackson guitars, which makes perfect sense if you think about it- right?... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......