The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP Phil Spector
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2021 9:01 am    

Controversial and somewhat of a mad genius, creator of the "wall of sound", Phil Spector has died of natural causes.

----> https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/17/entertainment/phil-spector-death/index.html

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 17 Jan 2021 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2021 9:35 am    

A guitarist who normally plays in a very strong and self-assured manner told me that he found it difficult to play well with a loaded gun pointed at his head.

Gary Hoetker

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2021 10:25 am    

One thing is certain about him. Some of the great music in our time is enveloped in his Wall of Sound. He is an innovator.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2021 11:31 am    

I met him once, but didn't realize i was talking to him.

I was working at a music store in Hollywood that catered to the entertainment industry. Well known actors and Musicians stars used to come in all the time.

One day this guy came in and asked when the LP of River Deep Mountain High by Ike and Tina Turner would be released. I told him I didn't know, but I loved the single, and what a great producer Phil Spector was.

The next day I received a test pressing of the LP and a note telling me that he appreciated my enthusiasm for his work.

I kept the record for years, but eventually gave it to Joe Goldmark.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2021 12:45 pm    

That's a great story, Mike!

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2021 6:13 pm    

The guy was such a psychopath. He had a gold coffin in his basement with a glass top and told Ronnie Spector if she ever left him, he’d display her corpse in it

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2021 6:44 pm    

There is no controversy. He was batpoo crazy. He died in prison. He should have been in a psyche ward long before he killed that young woman. He left a legacy of great record productions that we who must remain are left to compartmentalize in the same part of our brains with the memories of OJ Simpson’s football career and Bill Cosby’s comedy.

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2021 6:58 pm    

I am not going to say anything about my Gold Star Recording days with Stan Ross & Dave Gold about Phil Spector. How ever the Gun? RIP (Phil) Dude

William Gallagher

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2021 8:57 am    

Hey Mike, did he repurpose that coffin for personal use? Hopefully with the glass top...

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2021 7:07 am    

https://thebluemoment.com/author/1947rwilliams/
Interesting article.

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 20 Jan 2021 2:13 pm    

He was batshit crazy, and I heard that he died of COVID.

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2021 2:20 pm    

Don't forget all the Pedal Steel he used in his sessions!

William Gallagher

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2021 5:16 pm    

Interesting article Joachim. You have to wonder along with his pathological narcissism what secrets, fears and inner demons he fought with - honestly, why on earth in this business would someone need a gun and body guard?

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2021 5:58 pm    

William Gallagher wrote:
Interesting article Joachim. You have to wonder along with his pathological narcissism what secrets, fears and inner demons he fought with - honestly, why on earth in this business would someone need a gun and body guard?

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic because it looks like you prefaced your own question with the answer. All those traits of his character were fueled and amplified by drug and alcohol abuse. It’s oddly logical and sad to think of his approach to music production (More! More! More!) as being aligned with an addictive personality disorder. This, combined with power tripping on his huge success, eventually lead to paranoia and violence.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2021 2:37 am    

Kenny Davis wrote:
Don't forget all the Pedal Steel he used in his sessions!

I can see your irony, Kenny, But there are ecceptions like this one:
Remixed version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWV4pFV5nX4
The Spector version;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPTHem2iu0A

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2021 6:08 am    

Joachim - help me out a little bit, I'm not that familiar with these recordings. Give me the difference between the two versions.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2021 1:06 pm    

Kenny, if my ears don't mistake me, the second (the original) version has more reverb added. George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" is a mystery to me, in terms where it was recorded. London, Los Angeles, Nashville?
All I know is that Pete Drake was on a few songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHX-MFg2Zqw

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2021 1:19 pm    

The "All Things Must Pass" album was recorded in London. Phil Spector co-producer, George Harrison producer. Pete Drake flew to London to do the sessions. George wanted Spector to co-produce because he liked what he did with the Beatles "Let it Be" album. Spector produced solo albums for Lennon and Harrison. McCartney didn't like Spector's "overproduction" on the "Let it Be" album, especially on "The Long and Winding Road". Years later Sir Paul remixed and released a stripped down version of the "Let it Be" album.

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 22 Jan 2021 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2021 1:25 pm    

Thank you, Doug.

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2021 1:47 pm    

Joachim - After I posted, I listened closer to the two versions. I believe that the extra reverb was the main difference.

I started getting into Pedal Steel "seriously" about the time this was recorded, however I was a traditional country guy. My influences were Tom Brumley, Lloyd, Rugg, and Emmons. However, I did buy Ringo's Beaucoups of Blues album because Pete Drake and others were on it. I thought it to be a novel thing having this terrible British vocalist being supported by these great pickers! Since I didn't get into that type of music, I didn't realize that Lloyd had recorded with McCartney, and Pete with Harrison around that timeframe.

There's no doubt Spector made his mark. At least he was smart enough to let Pete Drake be Pete Drake! (Did you catch the Lay Lady Lay lick he used?) Looking back, it's kinda cool that these two were involved like they were since Pete became an incredibly successful producer himself.

I have to admit the only reason I posted earlier is to mention this and other deaths posted that are contrary to what b0b wants on this particular forum section...

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2021 2:23 pm    

Pete Drake and Phil Spector were both hired by Harrison. Pete was recommended to Harrison by Bob Dylan. Evidently Pete got along fine with Spector because he wasn't mixed out! Smile

Incidentally, here is a demo from that session that features Pete's pedal steel loud and clear... starting at 2:00. It sounds like it's just guitar, drums, and steel, and maybe bass ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TZ3Hsc8kvg&t=2m11s

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2021 3:34 am    

Thanks for the information, Doug. I looked at the credits on my (triple)record and it seems that half of Derek The Dominoes were involved in making this record.

Kenny, I've noticed the "Lay Lady Lay" lick also.

Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2021 1:04 pm     Inner Demons

That “Gold Star site is now a strip mall parking lot on Santa Monica Blvd”....such that the ‘layering’ of asphalt seems an appropriate legacy.. like many things not here anymore. Rolling Eyes