The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Brownell's Ending Chord?
Don Crowl

Medford, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 11:11 am    

Can you steelers with a good ear tell me the the chord Claude Brownell uses at the end of "Blues Stay Away From Me" on his CD that was posted earlier? Could you tell me the notes he played?
Bill McCloskey: Can you determine where to find that ending chord on his tuning, i.e. what strings etc.?
I'm trying to introduce myself to Claude Brownell's Alkire tuning a little at a time, but would like to also capture that ending chord in other tunings I use.
Thnx
Don

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 1:49 pm    

I'll take a listen Don.

You might want to listen to this . I literally just recorded it a few minutes ago: a basic primer on some of the basic grips https://www.facebook.com/100058902304961/videos/119617266678350/

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 2:09 pm    

okay, I got it but you won't be able to play it like Claude and I'll tell you why after I tell you what he is playing on the last chord:

Last chord is a Gm played on the first fret with the grip 7 4 2 (G Bb D) The entire last phrase is that grip just moved down the neck and then up at the end.

However, Claude had a 30.5" scale steel and tuned a 5th below the standard tuning. In the standard tuning you can play the final chord but you can't play the chords just proceeding. they are too far down the neck to be played in the standard eharp tuning.

That said, you can transpose it so you can play it but you won't get that real deep sound he gets without tuning lower with a longer scale neck.

Don Crowl

Medford, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 5:38 pm    

Thank you SO much Bill. I tuned in to your tutorial. You did good, providing me more insights. Using Alkire intervals I have tuned my guitars down some to basic fret positions I’ve played in for a number of years. What was Brownell’s number one, skinniest string tune to? My first attempt is with a B flat open number one string, the skinniest string. For fun I have learned blues stay away from me with the Alkire intervals and got some pretty nice sounds and chords.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 6:19 pm    

I believe it is a B Don. Gives you a nice C chord on the first fret in an 8th fret Grip.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 7:09 pm    

its just a I 6/9. lets just think in the key of C. put an A and a D in the C chord.

Key C. play low to high C E A D. that will get you the sound. you could sneak in a G on top if you can.

Don Crowl

Medford, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2021 5:46 pm    

Thank you Bill H. I am not getting any sound close to Mr. Brownell’s sound. Obvious reasons are equipment and string gauges that I seriously need to change. As time permits I hope to see if I can come close to his sound. My tuning is very close to the Brownell tuning.You forum members are a treasure for us folks who need some help.