The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Paul Franklin
Lavon Chappell

The Heart of Dixie
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 12:17 am    

Probably gonna offend some folks ,but I believe Paul Franklin is the best steel player ever. I love Buddy , Jimmy, loydd ,Pete , Tom , Hal , Weldon, all of the originals. But Paul inspired me more than anyone , and still does.

Dan Yeago

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 5:07 am    

I don't know enough to say who's best with so many gifted players out there. Taste is certainly a factor, and there are some masters whose knowledge brings them to a level that I'll never comprehend and yet their music just leaves me cold -- mind boggling talent, yes, but it doesn't grab my ears by the throat so to speak.

That said, there's so much of Paul's playing that leaves me speechless and is so heartfelt. The playing he's done with Alan Jackson is my favorite and I just play those early CD's over and over. If it's possible to wear out a CD then I'm on track to do it.

So with so many amazing players out there now I've had to stop thinking in terms of who's best, but rather who plays with appropriate taste that suits me. Paul, Tommy, and Mike float to the top for me. And then there's also Mike Auldridge's reso with the Seldom Scene. And there are so many more to come. So many gifts....

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 7:02 am    

My wife asked me once is this one better than this one. My response was no. I believe once you get into a category ,like all of the great players are , how can you determine who is best. Tommy White , Lloyd, Paul, J.D. , Mike Johnson , Doug Jernigan, Herby Wallace, Weldon , so many more. How can you pick just one ? Not to mention so many here in Texas. 😃
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 7:06 am    

I tend not to fall into the "so-and-so is best" trap. There are so many great players, dead and alive, and I have my favorites. Is Paul "better" than Buddy? No. Is Buddy better than Paul? No. They are both great, AND different.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 8:11 am    

I prefer the term “favorite” having thought of music as more cooperative than competitive.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 8:52 am    

It's evolution.

Don Poland

Hanover, PA.
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 9:12 am    

Someone being "offended" by you stating that you believe Paul is the best, is simply immaturity in my opinion. In this day lots of people feel offended by others beliefs. I simply can't understand why that is. You believing Paul is the best is simply that. I am inclined to agree with you, but again, it is simply my opinion. That doesn't take anything away from all of the other great players out there. Life isn't a popularity contest.

Don Euton

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 9:29 am    

I do not know for sure , but I would bet Paul has played on more session recordings than anyone else. Or could it be Lloyd Green?

Don Euton

Steven Hicken Jr.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 9:39 am    

I don't think people should be offended with that statement but I'd definitely say the subject of who's better than who comes down to taste (within reason).

As mentioned before, there is an elite group of players who are the best in the world but I think within that category it all comes down to taste.

Compare an Elite to an Intermediate player, the difference is obvious. Elite to Elite, Inter to Inter, Advanced to Advanced? Within those groups its taste.

What I will say is that Paul has huge achievements with the instrument that surpass many. Not only one of the Nashville A Teamers since the 80/90s, he's also been on rock mega tours with Dire Straits taking the instrument to a whole new level and audience...and he really did. He wasn't just an ambient padder dancing half of the time...he blasted the audience away with amazing playing and really got steel the recognition it deserves.
202X *Insert new guitar here*

https://www.stevenhickenjr.com/

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 9:54 am    

Don , I didn’t read where anyone was offended. Must have missed that part. It’s like asking who is the best rock guitarist, the best classical pianist or the best violinist. I believe Sinatra was one of the best vocalist , but was he “The Best” ?
Cheers 🙂
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats

Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 10:35 am    

I listened to Paul doing an interview with Lloyd Green and Tommy White at different times. What I heard most in these conversations was the word “Creativity”. The ability for someone to create a passage or phrase on the spot under pressure doing a recording session. These are gifts that make these players great players along with so many others in the industry past and present. So “Greatest” then is defined as a contribution that the individual has given to the Industry. There are many great players out there but they will be mainly remembered for their respective contributions to this fantastic instrument and Industry.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 10:59 am    

I doubt anyone is offended by an opinion. If you were to ask Paul, Tommy, Mike J etc...they also would have an opinion, probably the same one ! Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 11:23 am    

Imagine a huge wheel of fortune reel with a couple hundred spaces for favorite steel players. Give it a spin everyday, it would come up a winner every time. That would keep Vanna White busy for years.

Allan Thompson

Scotland.
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 1:16 pm    

No best just different.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 3:17 pm     Paul Franklin

Don, my guess as to has done the most sessions in sheer numbers, would be Sonny Garrish. Now the most hit songs and the biggest stars, that's a horse if a different color.

Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 5:49 pm    

No offense here, Lavon, if Paul Franklin has inspired you the most and he's your favorite, then good deal! For me I have a list, in order who I think is the best and it starts off with Emmons, then Chalker and so on... Paul Franklin is in the top ten.
I wonder what Franklin would say about this? Who's his top player favorite and inspiration?

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 6:18 pm    

Many great players mentioned here but Paul’s innovations, technical prowess, and other contributions are innumerable. He’s been in the forefront since the 1980’s. (That’s about 40 years folks, BTW) He WAS the next Buddy Emmons. Who will be the NEXT Paul Franklin?

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 6:41 pm    

And let's not for get Tom Brumley. It just a matter of taste. Tom was just one of the front runners with a new sound, (Bakersfield Sound). And with that was Ralph Mooney who I give credit too for many artist becoming a hit artist. And then you have too put Lloyd Green in there. He was on so many artist records with a new sound. There really is just too many. I love them all. J.R.

W. C. Edgar

Iowa City Iowa, Madison CT, Nashville, Austin, Phoenix
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 10:51 pm    

Of course, Paul is a great player as are many others.
Emmons was the innovator that took this instrument to the present level.
1979 Peavey LTD
1980 Peavey Nashville 400
Goodrich L-120
Toured with Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson & more
wcedgar.com

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2021 6:41 am    

I'm a fan of Mike Johnson myself. Very Happy
Erv

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2021 7:40 am     Paul Franklin

W.C. Buddy with some help from Jimmy Day. Didn't Zane Beck come up with knee levers and Bud Carter with the all pull mechanics? A lot of different people added little things here and there, but if we have to narrow it down to one person, then it's no contest, Buddy Emmons.

Last edited by George Kimery on 17 Jan 2021 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Don Poland

Hanover, PA.
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2021 8:36 am    

Ronald Sikes wrote:
Don , I didn’t read where anyone was offended. Must have missed that part. It’s like asking who is the best rock guitarist, the best classical pianist or the best violinist. I believe Sinatra was one of the best vocalist , but was he “The Best” ?
Cheers 🙂

I'm not sure if you are referring to myself or Don Euton, but if you read Lavon's first sentence, he is saying he may "offend" someone.

Kevin Horn

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2021 8:56 am    

K Maul wrote:
I prefer the term “favorite” having thought of music as more cooperative than competitive.

I agree. As a new member, but old-timer, I have to add the name of one of my favorites and that is John Huey (sometimes spelled Hughey).

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2021 9:48 am    

I agree. As a new member, but old-timer, I have to add the name of one of my favorites and that is John Huey (sometimes spelled Hughey).[/quote]

That's because that's how it's spelled.[Hughey]

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2021 12:01 pm    

Cool

Last edited by Ricky Davis on 20 Jan 2021 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total