The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender '68 Custom Pro Reverb
Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2021 7:13 am    

Looks like a new amp coming from Fender.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/68ProRev--fender-68-custom-pro-reverb-1-by-12-inch-40-watt-tube-combo-amp

Benjamin Davidson

Post  Posted 14 Jan 2021 11:31 am    

I think I'm gonna watch for one of these to come around to a local shop and demo it out against my Deluxe (which unfortunately is under powered for steel) and an tube based Twin. If the noise floor is quiet, and the Tone is as expected I'm thinking two of these would make a great live/recording WET/DRY or STEREO rig.

Downside, really looks like a ProReverb in name only (keeping the name for 40w / 2x6L6 class amp), differences:

-Single 12 vs. Dual 12 speakers - cost benifit or weight driven. Would make it a little easier in move and be in a studio environment.

-Solid State Rectifier - voltage sag if any would be expected to be similar to the Twin. Most likely a cost saving measure, but could have simply been a design constraint with chassis layout (they also went to a plug in style power cord and placed that connection and power/standby switches about where that tube would sit).

-Single channel, not many guitarists are using the normal channel of their amps these days, so that is an understandable cost saving and noise floor measure.

-Mid-Control, not something on the early ProReverbs, and this is a huge plus in the feature set for me. Also like the fact that Fender didn't go all out and put in a Master Volume.

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2021 12:55 pm    

I'd sure like to demo one of these. I've been wanting a tube amp with about 40 watts of power. I like the weight reduction by just having one channel. I don't need two channels anyway.

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 14 Jan 2021 1:39 pm    

It’s the amp that Fender should have started making in 1963 (with a tube rectifier that is), would have been their best seller ever because it would have been hand wired, not the pc board junk that they make now.

Last edited by Cartwright Thompson on 15 Jan 2021 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2021 2:48 pm    

very interesting, If I still had a 2x MTH gig I would be even MORE interested ! Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2021 5:48 pm    

That's what a Princeton Reverb wants to be when it's grown up! Winking

Rick Heins

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2021 12:47 pm    

Haha, I was going to post this amp today and here it is!

My goal with this amp was to make a great, moderately-powered tube amp that was smaller than a Deluxe Reverb, light (only 35lbs), grab and go amp with an added middle knob and bright switch. It is the original circuit with some tonal tweaks and no rectifier tube, which in an amp this wattage doesn't affect the feel or sag of the amp.

It wasn't to recreate the original amp because bigger, heavier amps aren't as popular these days to a lot of players. That's why we call them Vintage Modified. Smile

They sound great for guitar AND pedal steel if you're playing smaller gigs and don't need all the power of a Twin. Check out my Instagram clips of the amp in action! Make sure to swipe through all the videos so you can hear some steel as well!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKAMZhzs8rj/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2021 8:03 am    

Rick Heins wrote:

It wasn't to recreate the original amp because bigger, heavier amps aren't as popular these days to a lot of players. That's why we call them Vintage Modified. Smile

They sound great for guitar AND pedal steel if you're playing smaller gigs and don't need all the power of a Twin. Check out my Instagram clips of the amp in action! Make sure to swipe through all the videos so you can hear some steel as well!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKAMZhzs8rj/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I like your way of thinking regarding the Pro Reverb. To me the old version was a Twin Reverb with less power and all the weight. Making it a 1x12 makes a lot of sense - a DR on steroids. Looks like a winner to me - good job!

Rick Heins

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2021 3:53 pm     New 68 Pro Clips!

Here's an all steel clip I did to show the amp on about five with just a hair of reverb so you can really hear the amp, just disregard the playing. Wink

Still pretty loud so I'm excited to try it out with my band if I ever get to do so. Haha!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKSSeJRMKPN/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2021 6:17 pm    

Has an extension speaker out! Thanks! Smile

Rick Heins

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2021 6:27 pm    

Dave Meis wrote:

Yessir!!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2021 1:25 am    

Dave Meis wrote:

My thoughts exactly.! Laughing

My band mate called me last night, he was asking me about the the TM-DR and TM-TR, why I never acquired one. I gave him an immediate reply, NO EXT SPEAKER out . He had no idea that they didn't have one . He said but they have a LINE OUT..I said..who cares ! Line Out means you need another amp.

He said he was considering one, I stopped him cold, told him to check out the new PRO reverb, 1x12 ,40 WATTS, WITH TREMOLO and ext speaker out. And NO Overdrive !

He looked at it while we are were on the phone..thanked me profusely!

I suspect these are PC BD based amps, I sure hope they are good rugged quality as I also think this could be the best production offering Fender has offered in decades. Hopefully it also has increased headroom of over the DR. If it does and it is about the same as or better than the HR Deluxe, ( moderate headroom) they will have a winner here. 40 watts without improved headroom, we may as well stick with the DR.

This new amp is a 2x6L6 platform which means a higher +DC and improved Output Trans over the DR which is a 2x6V6 platform, with a lower +DC . Increased headroom should follow.

Years back I bought the NEW Custom Vibrolux 2x10 , 40 watt amp. it had less headroom than the DR. It didn't last long for me.

Rick Heins

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2021 10:39 am    

Tony Prior wrote:
Dave Meis wrote:

My thoughts exactly.! Laughing

My band mate called me last night, he was asking me about the the TM-DR and TM-TR, why I never acquired one. I gave him an immediate reply, NO EXT SPEAKER out . He had no idea that they didn't have one . He said but they have a LINE OUT..I said..who cares ! Line Out means you need another amp.

He said he was considering one, I stopped him cold, told him to check out the new PRO reverb, 1x12 ,40 WATTS, WITH TREMOLO and ext speaker out. And NO Overdrive !

He looked at it while we are were on the phone..thanked me profusely!

I suspect these are PC BD based amps, I sure hope they are good rugged quality as I also think this could be the best production offering Fender has offered in decades. Hopefully it also has increased headroom of over the DR. If it does and it is about the same as or better than the HR Deluxe, ( moderate headroom) they will have a winner here. 40 watts without improved headroom, we may as well stick with the DR.

This new amp is a 2x6L6 platform which means a higher +DC and improved Output Trans over the DR which is a 2x6V6 platform, with a lower +DC . Increased headroom should follow.

Years back I bought the NEW Custom Vibrolux 2x10 , 40 watt amp. it had less headroom than the DR. It didn't last long for me.

Just to be clear, the '68 Pro amp will start to breakup if it's cranked past six or so. However, it hangs in there nicely at 5.5 and is pretty darn loud at that volume! Louder than most situations I'd play in.

The older Vibrolux was Bruce Zinky designed and it did break up very early, as was intended by the product manager at the time. This is a different beast.

Gary Kaye

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2021 7:34 pm     Fender Pro Reverb

I guess if it’s clean until about 5 or so before starting to breakup you basically have 20 w
of clean power with some extra headroom, hopefully.
Using strictly for steel I think I would drop in a TT 12 or similar high efficiency speaker to get the full potential of what looks like a awesome amp. Now we’re talking headroom ...

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2021 11:55 pm    

theres really very little VOLUME difference between the Blues jr, 15 watt rating, DRRI ,22 watt rating, or a 40 watt amp, persey, the difference is always how much clean headroom is available. A 15 watt Blues Jr can cut a small/medium room gig volume wise , but it will be ugly ! If I were to play a small room gig on the 6 string slide, THAT would by amp of choice. And I have, but not with an E9th/C6th Instrument.

IF this 40 watt PRO is comparable to a HR Deluxe, ( 40 watt ratting, 2x 6L6) ) headroom wise , it may very well be a contender in the small/medium room class of amps. The fact that it has reverb and an ext speaker out makes it a strong contender.

Last edited by Tony Prior on 18 Jul 2021 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2021 7:32 pm    

Hmmm......

Wonder if you could fit a 15" in one of those. Winking

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2021 2:04 am    

Thirteen hundred bucks and you guys are serious about this piece of junk with a MIC PC board .

For half the price you can buy a nice silverface head, and tote around a small light 1 x12 or 1x15, or 2x10, or 4 x10, or 2x12 cab and have a real amp that won't lose 2/3 of its value the first year you have it... I will never understand why guys always get giddy over the latest PC board amp Fender comes up with... They have marketed a bunch of them, and they are unreliable, sound meh in comparison to the originals, and are invariably EXPENSIVE,,,, i dunno, I guess I am just old and crotchety, but those things are just awful....

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2021 10:51 am    

Agree with Bob C for the most part (aside from the old and crotchety thing). I do like the sound of my FINO Pro Juniors for lap steel, however. Even though they break down alot, and need to be serviced more often than most. More often than not, the issues are PC board-related. But still, they'll never touch this thing:

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2021 11:17 am    

beware....from the fender ad copy...

"Fender also tweaked the amp's negative feedback to give it increased touch sensitivity, and it also starts to overdrive faster."

there goes your headroom.

im with bob C. i wouldnt pay $1300 for a printed Cboard amp.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2021 11:35 am    

Bob Carlucci wrote:
Thirteen hundred bucks and you guys are serious about this piece of junk with a MIC PC board .

For half the price you can buy a nice silverface head, and tote around a small light 1 x12 or 1x15, or 2x10, or 4 x10, or 2x12 cab and have a real amp that won't lose 2/3 of its value the first year you have it... I will never understand why guys always get giddy over the latest PC board amp Fender comes up with... They have marketed a bunch of them, and they are unreliable, sound meh in comparison to the originals, and are invariably EXPENSIVE,,,, i dunno, I guess I am just old and crotchety, but those things are just awful....

I went down the vintage amp road for several years. Old amps are like old cars. If you want to use it as your daily driver you better either know how to service them or be prepared to spend the money to get them serviced, which ain't cheap. And the prices for vintage amps are getting into ludicrous range. Add servicing to that and you've got a potential money pit.

Recently my 74 Princeton Reverb crapped out and it was $440 to rebuild the board. I decided I wanted a new amp that would not require servicing for many years. After looking around the new 68 Custom Pro Reverb looked like the perfect package. Same weight as my Princeton but with 40 watts and a 12" speaker. I decided to try one as Guitar Center had a 15% off July 4 sale and I could return it if I didn't like it.

After three weeks I have decided it is a keeper. It sounds wonderful and the weight and compact package is perfect for what I do (lap and console steel). I took a peek inside and everything is super clean and well laid out. Soundwise I'd compare it to a Super Reverb through a 1x12. I swapped a 12AT7 for the V1 preamp tube and it really smoothed out the gain. Plenty of clean headroom. Maybe not enough for pedal steel but it is absolutely excellent for lap/console steel. We'll see how it holds up. I don't understand the bias against PCBs. I don't think the electrons care whether a human did the soldering as long as they follow the same path.

Bottom line, I think Rick Heins and Fender did a great job in designing this amp.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2021 1:52 am    

Tim Whitlock wrote:
Bob Carlucci wrote:

For half the price you can buy a nice silverface head,

I decided to try one as Guitar Center had a 15% off July 4 sale and I could return it if I didn't like it.

Vintage is nice but it's an unknown, can't be returned unless you buy it from a box store. Then all bets are off performance wise. New can be nice AND can be returned !

I doubt I would spend $1300 bucks on a new amp like this but thats just me . I did spend $1300 bucks on a used Dr Z Maz 38 head though. Different beast.

Vintage amps are getting older each day and the unknown is just way too unknown now. My bandmate just bought what was supposed to be an early 70's Pro reverb, it was near $800. Turns out it was a modified Mid 70's amp and really in need of some work, He ended up getting a $350 refund. Now its a good value. But it still needs all E Caps ,screen resistors, a couple of tube sockets and cabinet work. It is NOT gig ready.

Sorry guys , a quality , gig ready, USED Vintage era Pro Reverb etc... is not half the price. But we can BUY one at half the price ! LOL Very Happy

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2021 3:26 am    

[quote="Tony Prior"]
Tim Whitlock wrote:
Bob Carlucci wrote:

For half the price you can buy a nice silverface head,

I decided to try one as Guitar Center had a 15% off July 4 sale and I could return it if I didn't like it.

Vintage is nice but it's an unknown, can't be returned unless you buy it from a box store. Then all bets are off performance wise. New can be nice AND can be returned !

I doubt I would spend $1300 bucks on a new amp like this but thats just me . I did spend $1300 bucks on a used Dr Z Maz 38 head though. Different beast.

Vintage amps are getting older each day and the unknown is just way too unknown now. My bandmate just bought what was supposed to be an early 70's Pro reverb, it was near $800. Turns out it was a modified Mid 70's amp and really in need of some work, He ended up getting a $350 refund. Now its a good value. But it still needs all E Caps ,screen resistors, a couple of tube sockets and cabinet work. It is NOT gig ready.

Sorry guys , a quality , gig ready, USED Vintage era Pro Reverb etc... is not half the price. But we can BUY one at half the price ! LOL Very Happy[/quote

Never said you could buy a Pro, Super,Vibrolux,Deluxe, twin etc at half the price.. You can buy a HEAD at half the price is what I wrote,and simply use a small light cab with it, and be way better off than with that MIC PC board "amp"...They are NOT reliable and have given many buyers a ton of trouble as they get bounced around during tough use.

Its very amusing at how my friends here that favor modern PCB amps because "new/reliable" can with a straight face deem a vintage amp unreliable because its old,,- are you guys serious???
Once a solid Fender head or combo gets a recap, and a good once over by a tech worth his salt, they typically go for years and years with NO issues, no matter how old they are... Anyone trying to represent them as cranky old smoking, ready to blow up, burnouts has no conception of reality.
They are supremely reliable.. There is a reason there are so many still out there being used hard daily, 50-60 years after the fact... Get one that works decently, bring it to the right guy to get set up, and use it for years and years, then sell it for as much or more than you paid... OR, buy a "latest and greatest"
MIC PCB model, and within a year start dealing with PCB issues, especially around where the tubes sockets are located, noises that the tech simply cannot find, unserviceable MIC components, broken off shafts on pots, etc etc...Not for me.... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2021 5:19 am    

Bob nobody is arguing and nobody said they prefer a NEW modern amp over a vintage amp or head. Its a discussion.

Buying new has no guarantees and buying Vintage is the same, no guarantees, Head or Combo. The issue these days, 40 or 50 years later, is that many are unsuspecting and NOT getting what they think. While you and I may be very well aware, many are not . We can count on all of our fingers the number of instances where buyers made a purchase and then found out after the fact that the so called original 40 or 50 year old amp is NOT fully intact. Not worth what they paid, they are now underwater.

I personally love the old Fender amp heads but I am also able to rebuild or restore them myself. I've done it dozens of times . A to Z. I have a premium Dr Z head and multiple cabs but I don't want to carry a head and a cab. The Dr Z head I have weighs more than a couple of my small amps . Now add the cabs.

We are in a new era, 20 to 25 lbs for the whole package. Its not a bad thing and its NOT for everyone. Actually the era is changing once again to a Pedal Board amp with a direct out to a sound system. An amp that is the size of a stomp pedal.

The new "techno" amps , like the discussion here of the Pro, while pricy, serves a valid purpose in the modern era. This amp, a small footprint 12" combo, 40 watts, weighs 35 lbs, 8 lbs less than the the ever so popular 40 Watt Hot Rod Deluxe. Will it be successful ? Who knows.

RE: The Blues/Hot Rod series has been out since the early 90's, difficult to service but yet still very popular and very reliable. They are a far cry from a vintage amp. The amp generations that followed will be the same, hard to service or NON serviceable , but yet reliable.

It's a discussion of thoughts, not an argument ! Very Happy

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2021 5:05 pm    

In today's money $1299 isn't a lot. I fired up The Inflation Calculator and found that the current $1700 price tag of a new Twin-Reverb translates in 1964 bux to about half of what you'd pay for a new Twin-Reverb in that year. If Leo had made a 1-12" single-channel trem/reverb 40 watter in the early blackface era, I'm certain it'd be a good deal pricier than the $153 that today's $1299 represents in that time.

Methinks they're selling us more sizzle than steak. Laughing

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2021 3:59 am    

Dave Hopping wrote:
In today's money $1299 isn't a lot. I fired up The Inflation Calculator and found that the current $1700 price tag of a new Twin-Reverb translates in 1964 bux to about half of what you'd pay for a new Twin-Reverb in that year. If Leo had made a 1-12" single-channel trem/reverb 40 watter in the early blackface era, I'm certain it'd be a good deal pricier than the $153 that today's $1299 represents in that time.

Methinks they're selling us more sizzle than steak. Laughing

LOL and we could not buy that Twin in 1964 and return it for a full refund in 45 days along with FREE shipping !