The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Texas Honky Tonk Style
Chuck Campbell

Manassas, VA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2021 10:52 am    

Can anyone recommend a good Texas shuffle honky tonk style either BIAB or thier own. I have and use the Ray Price styles
Example:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0A9TeFBVks&list=PLuMHyui9Yc5-DuRoor5q9ULqvbnDJoKSk&index=3

Any help would be appreciated.

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2021 2:25 pm    

I like CTRYSWS.STY a lot.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2021 11:00 am    

Chuck,

Norman turned me on to the CTRYSWS.STY also. I use it and modify it sometimes.

You might consider creating a hybrid style using Real Tracks, Real Drums, and MIDI. I like the Real Drums, but the bass can get weird sometimes. If you're using a DAW, you can play the bass yourself, or use a BIAB MIDI bass and edit it within the DAW to get the walks you want. When I use the BIAB MIDI piano and drums, I power them with EZKeys and EZDrums to get more control over the individual drums, etc... The BIAB rim shot is never loud enough for me. Another trick I do sometimes is to use Real Drums and duplicate the drum tracks in the DAW, then EQ them to favor the individual drum I'm looking for. For example: I'd EQ one drum track to highlight the kick drum and use that in the mix. You can do the same on snare, etc...

Fiddles - I've not found a good substitute for the real thing if you want solos, but some of the Real Tracks can do some decent fills if you don't have a fiddler handy.

I just posted a recent song here on the forum that I used these techniques on. I'm learning everytime I use this stuff.

RC

Chuck Campbell

Manassas, VA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2021 7:11 am    

Thanks Norman this will help. Thanks Rick but the process is a little over my head. I appreciate your input.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2021 7:40 am    

Every bit of that is over my head. As much of a handyman, do it your selfer and pretty good with computers and steel guitar, I just can't grasp BIAB.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2021 2:00 pm    

Chuck Campbell wrote:
Thanks Norman this will help. Thanks Rick but the process is a little over my head. I appreciate your input.

Norman is very good with BIAB, etc... and a very good guy too. We trade BIAB ideas ocassionally. I've learned a lot from him.

It sounds a lot more complicated than it really is. If it was hard, I couldn't do it. Smile

RC

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2021 10:15 am    

Anyone have styles songs to share? Just updated from 2005 to 2019.

bob