The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho Bud Fingertip parts
Kelcey ONeil

Sevierville, TN
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2021 2:14 am    

Hello all,
Does anyone have any undercarriage parts for a Fingertip, knee levers, cranks, shaft brackets, etc.?

Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2021 5:49 am     My Sho-Bud Fingertip

Kelcey: I've been trying to get knee lever parts for my fingertip for at least a year. The guy from pedal steel parts doesn't reply. If I had your email, I could send you some photos of my 1968 Fingertip. It's beautiful! You should see it. Thanks, Tommy.....

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2021 6:05 am    

Try PMng Bob Muller in Oregon. He’s restored some and is quite knowledgeable. He bought a D9 Fingertip from me a few years ago.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2021 6:19 am    

Not trying to be a smart ass believe me,, Just don't understand why you just don't use more readily available parts from later bud models??.. If the guitar is clean it won't be devalued by 1 cent by having "non original" parts.. With pedal steel, functionality always trumps originality... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Gary Patterson

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2021 6:21 am    

Tommy,

It doesn't seem like Michael Yahl to not reply. I've recently seen on this Forum that he's having some trouble with his website contact page. Try emailing him at Michael@psgparts.com.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2021 6:33 am    

Yes these are NOT all standard original Fingertip mechanics underneath the most famous Fingertip in history; that Lloyd Green cut hundreds of number 1 hits on through the 60's.
IT also plays better and tunes better than any fingertip in history. It was very easy to design and mount all the stuff; I had a great time doing it and it turning out so good; it's behind glass at the "Country music hall of fame museum" In Nashville, TN.

Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2021 10:39 am     Sho-Bud Fingertip 1968

Ricky: The bell cranks on mine are not original. But when replacing the original knee levers, I would like them to be the original teardrop shape like on Lloyd's. I know they are available, from Michael Yahl. I'm going to need other things too, and will get it done sooner rather than later. What you did to Lloyd's is a true work of art. I wish you weren't so far away. We could put mine in tip top shape pretty quickly, but I'm not shipping this one anywhere. Thanks, Tommy.....

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2021 11:57 am    

Yeah Tommy; you only ship something off to someone that knows what and how to do it and you don't know how to do any of that. So since you are capable and know what you want; you just have to get with Michael. He is extremely busy of course being the only one now alive making real original machined parts for 10 different Makers of Pedal Steel Guitar. Email him. or just order from his site...that's what I do; even though we've been great friends for a long long time and can chat for hours on the phone....we both are busy and polite enough to each other to do biz and keep going.
Heck I'll order somethings and check out online and then next day it will say packaging up; then shipped and I'll have in with in 3 days....; so that is the most achieving way to get the best stuff quickly from michael. If you're not sure what to order from the site; I can coach you on a few things...but do through my email...as I'll want pics of certain things to get you the best fit; placement and stuff....sshawaiian@austin.rr.com is my email.

Ricky

Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2021 12:09 pm     Sho-Bud Fingertip 1968

Ricky: I know you are much better at working on these, than I am. The real concern is with the shipping companies. I just bought another S-10 Emmons push/pull, it came via FedEx. The seller packed it very well, but left the case handle exposed, thinking it would be a help. Thankfully, the steel was not damaged, but the case handle was demolished. Probably because when it fell off the end of the conveyer, it landed upside down right on the handle. Damn shame really, because the case is like new otherwise. thanks, Tommy.....NEVER AGAIN with FedEx.

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2021 7:21 pm     Re: Sho Bud Fingertip parts

Kelcey ONeil wrote:
Hello all,
Does anyone have any undercarriage parts for a Fingertip, knee levers, cranks, shaft brackets, etc.?
I may be able to help you. I have some sho bud parts. Let me know what you are wanting. I think I have some bel cranks and brackets as well as cross shafts. Key head Changer and End plates Bunch of stuff.

Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2021 7:53 pm     Sho-Bud Fingertip 1968

Jimmie: I need knee levers. I want the teardrop shaped ones that were original in 1968. I could use at least 4 or maybe 5 if I can find them. Thanks, Tommy.....

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2021 8:00 pm     Re: Sho-Bud Fingertip 1968

Tommy Auldridge wrote:
Jimmie: I need knee levers. I want the teardrop shaped ones that were original in 1968. I could use at least 4 or maybe 5 if I can find them. Thanks, Tommy.....
I do not have the teardrop knee levers.
I could make them if you have one to get a pattern from.

Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2021 8:04 pm     Sho-Bud Fingertip 1968

Jimmie: No, I don't have one. They tell me, Michael Yahl has them made up. I guess that's where I'll find them. Thanks, Tommy.....

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2021 9:53 pm    

Yes Tommy; you can order them right here>
https://psgparts.com/Lever-Knee-Teardrop-100-105-1.htm
He has all the sizes that the bracket these fit on and he even has a set screw in side where it folds to make it closer or further from your leg(yes original had NO WAY to adjust for that..but Michael made it). He has 130 of them in stock; how many do you need???
Ricky

Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2021 5:53 am     Sho-Bud Fingertip 1968

Ricky: I think 4 is what I'll need. I will also need everything to go with them, cross shafts, mounting brackets, and bell cranks. I even need an axle for the E9 nut, with all the little pulleys that the strings sit on. I forget what they're called, but mine are missing. It's a long story, I'll send you a p.m. tomorrow. Thanks, Tommy.....

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2021 7:19 am    

No don't send me a PM...I would really need to see pictures of the underneath of what is there and what you want mechanically to put in; then I can direct you from some questions and measurements of what cross shafts and linkage you'll need to hook the knee lever brackets to put those cross shafts....and/or michael will need that info also....so you can email him those pics of what you want to do and he will come up with it>
michael@psgparts.com is his email.
sshawaiian@austin.rr.com is my email and you can send pics to those emails....but you can't do that with PM...ha.
So come on; lets get this Fingertip you have CRANKIN out the Music again Bro.
Ricky