The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Another “can you identify the builder” post
Derek Blalock

Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2020 6:32 pm    

Picked this up cheap as my first project. Supposedly built in the early 70’s. The thing is dirty, smells like a pool hall, and weighs about 80 pounds. It’s obviously had a busy life. Apparently built from sho bud and msa parts.

Since it’s such a tight community, just wondering if anyone has any idea what builder might have used these “trademarks” - the horse? I can’t identify the other badge, is it a word or a name or nothing?! Just thought it would be neat if anyone had any ideas. Thanks!

EDIT: Probably going to have a lot of questions on this journey I hope you can all be patient with me!

Mike Ritchie

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2020 7:02 pm    

The rivets are interesting?

Derek Blalock

Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2021 7:05 pm    

Can anyone identify the mechanism? Is this along the lines of the “rack and barrel” system?

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2021 7:57 pm    

One screw and 4 pop rivets is interesting. The screw may have been a replacement of that key.

Derek Blalock

Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2021 8:09 pm    

Bobby D. Jones wrote:
One screw and 4 pop rivets is interesting. The screw may have been a replacement of that key.

Absolutely a replacement. It’s much shinier and not covered in what seems to be a sticky mixture of motor oil and cigarette ashes thats built up over the decades like the rest of the undercarriage is. Surprised

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2021 8:35 pm    

Not a rack and barrel. The Sho-Bud rack and barrel systems have a rack that the pull rods run through and a brass barrel that contacts the rack.

You can see some pics in this thread: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=356900&highlight=rack+barrel and many views if you do a forum search on rack and barrel.

What you have is a modern all pull changer with a rod and bellcrank action in which ea. pull rod pulls an individual bell crank attached to a cross shaft.

Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2021 10:31 am    

Looks like old ShoBud knee levers and pedals. Not a ShoBud pedal steel though.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2021 1:47 pm    

It's a Frankensteel. It looks like it's well made though.

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 6 Jan 2021 2:20 pm    

Clean. Polish. Give it an oil change and a grease job. Tune it. Play it. Call it “The Horse.” It looks quite nice and well made.

Derek Blalock

Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2021 2:49 pm    

Mike Perlowin wrote:
It's a Frankensteel. It looks like it's well made though.

Previous owner said he believed the builder used sho bud and msa parts. Either way, a Frankensteel indeed!

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2021 2:50 pm    

Bud pedals, levers are close to bud, pull parts look close to MSA or certain Marlen guitars.. Adjustable return springs.. Looks very stout and well built, as good as anything else from its era probably.. Clean tune, and play it.. It will probably make a great old pedal steel that no one else has... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Derek Blalock

Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2021 2:51 pm    

Ken Mizell wrote:
Clean. Polish. Give it an oil change and a grease job. Tune it. Play it. Call it “The Horse.” It looks quite nice and well made.

The Horse it is!

Cleaning in process. Next project to tackle is pull changer and clean. Once I get that back in I want to work in the rodding. The e9 rods look a bit cluttered to be with plenty of room to spread things out.

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 6 Jan 2021 5:10 pm    

Derek Blalock wrote:
Ken Mizell wrote:

The Horse it is!

Cleaning in process. Next project to tackle is pull changer and clean. Once I get that back in I want to work in the rodding. The e9 rods look a bit cluttered to be with plenty of room to spread things out.

Glad I could help with the name. Very Happy Very Happy

This guitar will look really nice when you are done. Some Simichrome and a can of Mothers is in order. I just bought a mid-80’’s vintage BMI SD-10 that I’m sprucing up a bit. The guitar is in really good shape. I’m adding a RKR and another pull on RKL. The aluminum of this BMI will shine like a mirror with little effort. Mica is perfect.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2021 8:18 pm    

I like the reversers on the extreme left of the picture and that knee lever on the extreme right of the picture has to be a vertical or it's just not hooked up. The pull rod wrapping all the way around at the bottom, makes me want to get my hands on the guitar and save the poor thing.Crying or Very sad I agree with Sho-Bud-MSA

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2021 9:25 pm    

The Round cross rods and center split bell cranks look like 60's 70's MSA parts. The Reversers on the RKR/LKR are unique.
The aluminum plate backing on front and rear apron should make for a very stable guitar.
Well designed changer pickup frame.
The Horse looks well worth cleaning up and riding.
Good Luck and Happy Steelin.

Mike Flick

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2021 10:15 pm    

How are the right knee levers position wise? Looks like they should be closer to the changer.