The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stripping paint off of aluminum (Crossover)
Liam Sullins

Brookville, Ohio
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2020 9:45 pm    

I'm needing some advice for stripping paint off of my Crossover when I start to work on it. What would be the best option for it? Sanding is going to take a lot of time...

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2020 6:54 am    

If you’re completely disassembling the guitar you could consider having it soft bead blasted. Our shop can provide a smooth, light texture, and rough textured finished surface. You should be able to find someone in your area who can do it. Might cost a little but it’s a big time saver and the ultimate prepped surface.

Just my 2 cents...good luck!!

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Eddy Dunlap

Nashville, Tn
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2020 7:18 am    

Jeff Surratt has worked on/refurbished numerous Crossovers over the past few years(including a recent one that was Scott Shipley's now with Steve Hinson) and Pete Drake's. He always rebuffed or finished the hardware to the best cosmetic shape it can be in.

Don Poland

Hanover, PA.
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2020 7:18 am    

If you used a good quality paint stripper, would that not work? Unsure how aluminum is affected by paint stripper.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2020 8:10 am    

The frame is an aluminum/magnesium alloy. It didn't have a smooth finish like polished aluminum so I think a paint stripper wouldn't harm the metal, though I don't know how attractive it would be.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2020 9:29 am    

I want to state that I made some assumptions in my first post.

-I remembered the crossover I owned had a black frame/endplates etc...all the metal except for the undercarriage was painted black...and maybe had a “krinkle” typed finish. So I assumed the OP’s guitar is like the one I had.

-I assumed that the OP’s intention is to repaint the metal frame black instead of going for something shiny.

The suggestion I posted was based upon the statements above. All possibilities should be considered based upon his goals.

Best regards,
MB

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Liam Sullins

Brookville, Ohio
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2020 9:50 am    

Marty Broussard wrote:
I want to state that I made some assumptions in my first post.

-I remembered the crossover I owned had a black frame/endplates etc...all the metal except for the undercarriage was painted black...and maybe had a “krinkle” typed finish. So I assumed the OP’s guitar is like the one I had.

-I assumed that the OP’s intention is to repaint the metal frame black instead of going for something shiny.

The suggestion I posted was based upon the statements above. All possibilities should be considered based upon his goals.

Best regards,
MB

I should of put that in there, sorry! My goal is to bring it out to a shine.

Liam Sullins

Brookville, Ohio
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2020 9:55 am    

Eddy Dunlap wrote:
Jeff Surratt has worked on/refurbished numerous Crossovers over the past few years(including a recent one that was Scott Shipley's now with Steve Hinson) and Pete Drake's. He always rebuffed or finished the hardware to the best cosmetic shape it can be in.

I'll ask him, just spoke to him. He sent me a spring for the changer for my Crossover actually.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2020 4:02 pm    

Be very careful with using a paint remover on aluminum.
If it contains Caustic Soda or similar chemical it will eat and destroy the aluminum.
Check its use on a small spot to be sure it is safe before using.
Even Oven cleaners will make aluminum form a white dusty crust as the aluminum is eaten.

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 8:22 pm    

Use "Kutzit". Won't harm the metal and it's not sloppy to use.
PRR

Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2021 5:56 am    

I wonder how a pressure washer would work?