The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Joe Wright's Technique Bundle question
Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2020 4:21 pm    

I'm digging out courses that I have but never got around to. Those of you two-finger-pick guys that use Joe's exercises: Do you just cross over with the thumb in the exercises that use the third finger? I'd like to bring these into my practice routine but it's too late for me to add the third fingerpick.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2020 5:40 pm    

I don't have his course but in watching him play the 3rd finger is seldom if ever used. Watch some of his playing videos and see what I mean. Few pro players use the ring finger. I don't use it myself either. Hopefully some others will chime in.

Scott Denniston

Post  Posted 10 Dec 2020 6:03 pm    

Thanks Larry. I think I'll just go through and modify all the exercises with a third finger. You know, the main idea is that you're quick and accurate with each string in any pattern. Looks like great warm up exercises.

Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2020 6:07 pm    

I have a Technique Bundle printed book from about 2004, and I just re-checked, the vast majority of the exercises are T 1 2 . Especially considering how he breaks down all the possible moves, there is no problem with just ignoring the ones that use 3. If you can do all the T 1 2 moves in the book you will be more than covered on right hand technique.

Mark McCornack

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2020 3:21 pm     Re: Joe Wright's Technique Bundle question

Scott Denniston wrote:
I'm digging out courses that I have but never got around to. Those of you two-finger-pick guys that use Joe's exercises: Do you just cross over with the thumb in the exercises that use the third finger? I'd like to bring these into my practice routine but it's too late for me to add the third fingerpick.

I don't want this to sound like another old guy post (even if I Am an old guy), but I started with fingerpicks (one thumb, two fingerpicks) on 5-string banjo back in the early 1970's and shortly after on steel with this configuration. About 3 years ago I added a ring finger pick for playing steel. I'm really glad I took the leap to do this, though there was a bit of a learning curve. My point being it's not "too late" if you want to give this a try. Just my opinion. it gets used mostly for chording in my case.

Scott Denniston

Post  Posted 19 Dec 2020 4:04 pm    

That's encouraging Mark. I do like the big fat chords and will be migrating to a D12 soon. I did the Plasti-Dip trick on my 1941 picks so I'm getting used to some weirdness anyway. Might be a good time to try adding that extra pick too.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2020 4:32 pm    

I have been working with Joe's “My Approach To Pedal Steel Guitar” for a couple years now. There are hundreds of right hand exercises in the book. Most, as has been said, are for T12, but there are a good number for T123. I play Thumb and two fingers style. Any time I see a 4-string grip, I just put my bare finger 3 to work. If there is a consecutive single note exercise over 4-strings where the T123 approach is indicated, I alternate T1T2. If there is a pattern with string skips where T13 or T23 is suggested, I don’t skip the exercise, I just bash through with T12.

I prefer leaving finger 3 pick-less. I love 4-string grips though, and that fingertip is getting some callous on it.

I have to say, Mr. Wright’s book has been an enormous help in getting my right hand act together. Still a loooong way to go, but it’s a BIG book.

Mark McCornack

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2020 5:00 pm    

I'd also admit playing with a pick on the ring finger isn't without its drawbacks as well. Primarily, it interferes with fingertip damping with the R-finger since you now have a chunk of metal hanging out there. For me personaly, it's worth this drawback though.
I won't advocate that playing with three fingerpicks in unconditionally "better", but certainly a choice one can make, and it's definitely not "too late" to see if it's for you. Razz

Scott Denniston

Post  Posted 19 Dec 2020 5:33 pm    

I haven't been doing any ring finger damping. I think I might get along with it for chording if I can keep the ring finger mostly out of the way for single note stuff. That seems to be what Rick Schmidt does in a video I watched. I was first introduced to pedal steel by a player in LA named Bill Wymiller (sp?) who played with four picks. Incredibly great player I haven't heard much about since. He had me come in on a Wednesday night and set up across the stage & trade rides with him. That was a good kickstart for me playing with a good band. But I digress. Bill was too good to just quit. But I heard he was a math genius too.

Mark McCornack

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2020 5:51 pm    

..... one last comment. I play with Dunlop .020's or .022's. For the ring finger, I'm using a Dunlop "mini" .020 as I found my ring finger was crashing into my others less with this smaller pick on. Again, just personal preference and the way my right hand is constructed. It made a big difference to me, but your milage may vary.

Scott Denniston

Post  Posted 19 Dec 2020 7:13 pm    

I practiced with the ring finger pick on tonight. Didn't pick with it just had it on. It's very awkward but I'm just going to wear it for awhile and keep it out of the way till I forget it's there. If that works then I'll start slowly introducing chord grabs with it. In the meantime I'll do some Joe Wright exercises with it too.