The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP William Ron Leslie
Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2020 8:46 am    

It is with great sadness that I offer a final farewell to my dear friend William Ron Leslie, a very sweet human being. He passed last week at the age of 79. My deepest condolences go out to his family.

Over the last 45 years of making things, I've had the privilege to become friends with so many of my customers. I met William late last year when he contacted me about building him a new steel. He'd been playing for around 50 years. The passion and love of the instrument and the joy he had playing was so up front and obvious, he sounded like an excited teenager when we spoke about all things pedal steel. His energetic excitement was truly an inspiration and honestly my phone conversations and the joy he shared when he got his new guitar were truly high points of what has been a very tough year for all of us in numerous ways.

He wasn't able to enjoy his new guitar but for a few months. It means the world to me that I had the honor of building him something that apparently had been on his bucket list for a while.

Godspeed William, I hope you and your wife are together again. Much love, your friend Ross

William with his brothers "back in the day"

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2020 9:57 am    

Sorry to hear about your friend. Prayers sent!

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2020 1:35 pm    

Ross, sounds like you answered his life long dream. I'm sure it gave Ron a warm feeling of joy in his last few month's stay on earth. My prayers for your friend and his family.

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2020 4:22 pm    

Sorry for your loss Ross.