The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tommy Dodd - Inside His Transplant Journey
Dale Gray

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2021 8:26 am    

Donna, thanks for sharing that story, how thankful we can be when Jehovah reunites us with our loved ones.Dale.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2021 6:03 am     That was such a long struggle.

Hi Donna,
I'd never known or met Thomas and only know you through the forum, but the story of the struggle you both went through is amazing to read.
I'm very sorry for your loss because I'm sure that will be with you forever.
My best wishes for you and your family,
Andy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Wilfred Cuthbert

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2024 4:46 am     Tommy Dodd - my teacher

Donna what a moving story of all you two went through! Brought stinging tears to my eyes.
Tommy was such a blessing to me as well, he was kind enough to give me lessons over the course of a few years.
He welcomed me into the steel jam we used to have at the old pawn shop in Kennesaw where steel players would sit in circle and play along with a singer and small band, what an honor it was to sit and listen to him play! His playing was always so bold and confident and full of heart, larger than life, and I loved how he’d pull you in with a twinkle in his eye and play something to surprise you or make you laugh. His joy flowed right through his playing. He played like a man who knew who he was and who fully embraced his reason for being here.
I remember his big warm handshake and seeing him play in the Atlanta airport atrium and at various steel shows. And his PodXT settings won me compliments for outstanding tone while I played with two other musicians much better than I who were on better guitars!

Donna thank you for taking such great care of him and supporting him to be who he was - thank you for all your encouragement along the way too! May the Lord encourage and comfort you today and every day. I can’t wait to sit in the circle with him again one day in heaven giving the Lord all the glory!

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2024 3:08 pm     Re: Tommy Dodd - my teacher

Wilfred Cuthbert wrote:
Donna what a moving story of all you two went through! Brought stinging tears to my eyes.
Tommy was such a blessing to me as well, he was kind enough to give me lessons over the course of a few years.
He welcomed me into the steel jam we used to have at the old pawn shop in Kennesaw where steel players would sit in circle and play along with a singer and small band, what an honor it was to sit and listen to him play! His playing was always so bold and confident and full of heart, larger than life, and I loved how he’d pull you in with a twinkle in his eye and play something to surprise you or make you laugh. His joy flowed right through his playing. He played like a man who knew who he was and who fully embraced his reason for being here.
I remember his big warm handshake and seeing him play in the Atlanta airport atrium and at various steel shows. And his PodXT settings won me compliments for outstanding tone while I played with two other musicians much better than I who were on better guitars!

Donna thank you for taking such great care of him and supporting him to be who he was - thank you for all your encouragement along the way too! May the Lord encourage and comfort you today and every day. I can’t wait to sit in the circle with him again one day in heaven giving the Lord all the glory!

I agree with you. I too sensed Tommy's confidence in his playing. He could handle any kind of song that came along, and make it his own. I've been kind of out of touch with the steel guitar community the past few years, but I know Tommy is greatly missed.

RC