Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tommy Dodd - Inside His Transplant Journey
Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2020 11:03 pm    

Thomas Clayton Dodd
March 14, 1949 – December 4, 2020
Inside His Transplant Journey

Tommy became Duke Lung Transplant Patient no. 2,045 on December 14, 2019. His personal weight loss of over 100 pounds (on his own) and rigorous 6 month qualifying process positioned him for acceptance into Dukes’s intense transplant program.
October 12, 2019
With the blessings and prayers of our friends & family, we packed up our Faith, our Love, and our pooch, Pepper, along with a few of our other favorite things in a small trailer, and left Atlanta for a temporary stay in Durham, NC. My 7-week caregiver training, and Tommy’s 22 days of boot camp only reinforced the magnitude of the risks and challenges that lay ahead. His persistent cough and shortness of breath were taking over his life; and when doctors asked if he was ready for THE CHALLENGE, Tommy replied, “Bring it on”.
December 14, 2019
Tommy’s transplant was considered a success; the donor lungs were perfect. But, his heart began to struggle, causing acute kidney injury that eventually led to end stage renal disease. Two months later, he had a heart attack, and would be back in the hospital on and off for a total of 10 months because of various instabilities.
November 3, 2020
He received an aortic valve replacement and a pacemaker. Both were placed without issue, but two days later both his left and right femoral arteries hemorrhaged. Within the week, I noticed something different was happening. The ebb and flow of the usual treatments weren't changing things. There was no infection, rejection, or anything else they could pin point. He was sleepy and barely responsive. His blood pressure dropped, his CO2 rose, and his heart-rate skyrocketed. His delirium wasn’t improving, nor could they get arterial access for accurate readings. Just two weeks earlier, Tommy had said that he wanted to be in my arms if he died first.

Early Friday morning, Dec. 4, the doctor dropped the railing on Tommy’s bed so I could be closer to him, and contacted Tommy’s sons, Ryan and Travis to discuss the quickly changing sequence of unmanageable events. Ryan, Travis, and grandson Luke had time to speak to their dad and grandfather while he was somewhat responsive. As they all spoke from their hearts, I felt Tommy’s grip confirm the pride he’d always had for “His Boys.” My sons, Dan and Taylor also expressed their love and respect for the role he played in their lives as a loving support for their well-being and the man who loves and protects their mother.

The doctors removed his tube feed line, the bipap unit, the dialysis machine. He covered us with a blanket, lowered the lighting, closed the curtain, and then stepped away. Our world was quiet as I listened to the subtle roar of our joint struggle become a peaceful sound of triumph. I thank God for that beautiful gift to honor my husband’s wishes.

Coping
God got up-close and personal with us those 352 days following the transplant. I was with Tommy each and every day in and out of the hospital (with the exception of 45 days during the Covid lockdown period.) Even on the grueling days, we listened to music or comedy in his room, played games, had picnics, called friends and family, and danced in place holding hands. Sometimes when he slept, I would get out my small tool box and tighten loose screws in the cabinetry. For some reason, it gave me a sense of accomplishment, and helped strengthen my coping skills. Yes, I’m serious. Try it! Sometimes Tommy would catch me "working" and ask me to put my tools away. We never stopped our silliness, and when we both tried to think of a name or something that stumped us, after a few seconds we’d say in unison our favorite old Southern saying, “It don’t make no never-mind!” and we would move on. He was the funniest person I’ve ever known, and made me feel like a high school groupie when he played music!
Strength
Tommy actually considered himself blessed to be around in 2020 feeling better than he’d felt in 2019 - and he was cough-free! That's a WIN we'll take!!!
He was so strong, hopeful, and appreciative through it all. He never lost sight of his commitment to taking care of the donor lungs that made it all possible, Duke’s amazing healthcare angels who cared for him, nor the continued support of his family and friends.

Tommy loved the Lord, and knew his talents were God-given. A piece of him belongs to each one of you who loved him through his music. He knew how truly blessed he was!
I was honored to be Tommy’s caregiver, cheerleader, barber, handy-man, interpreter, activity director, direct family contact for updates, and the eyes & ears for his many restrictions. When he was in ICU, I helped him brush his teeth before I left at night. He would see me getting everything ready with the suction wand in my hand, and make the OH NO groan. It was just automatic for him to respond that way. Then, going for the save, he would affirm, “I know, I know, your mouth is the gateway to your heart health!” He was my best friend, my hero, my rock, my protector!
Rest in Peace, my Love!
16 surgeries, including 2 AV fistulas, 3 mechanical cardioversions, open chest decortication of lungs, leg debridement after hemorrhage, tracheostomy, and numerous bronchoscopies
3 months total outpatient days in Durham with tracheostomy, daily tube feeds and flushes, nebulizer treatments, Trilogy machine maintaince, medication management, blood sugar testing & insuin delivery, wound care, Spirometer testing and recording, Vitals readings and recordings

Diagnosed with Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (2014)
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2020 11:22 pm    

❤️ Thanks for sharing, Donna. Tommy will live in our hearts forever. God bless you both, and your family. ❤️

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2020 3:15 am    

Donna, Thank you for sharing your precious moments with him. There have been times he came across my mind and I prayed for him. God knows best and I would imagine he is much better off being in Gods presence than we are here on earth. Be assured many people are praying for you and your family during this most diffcult time in your life.

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2020 3:24 am    

Thank you Donna, our hearts and prayers are with you and your family. May our Savior richly bless your lives.
Rest in peace Tommy Dodd.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2020 5:01 am    

Thank you Donna. This brought tears to my eyes. Bless you, Tommy, and your families.

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2020 5:04 am    

Donna and family, so sorry for your loss. I never met Tommy personally buy I was fortunate to see him play once at the show in Dallas. He was a talented musician and I could tell he was having so much fun! May God grant you strength and comfort in the days ahead.

Fred Thompson

Zephyrhills, FL
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2020 5:24 am    

Donna, our hearts go out to you... You and Tommy have been through so much the past year.. We continue to pray for you and the family through this difficult time.

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2020 5:25 am    

I'm glad that Tommy was in your arms and did not pass during a lockdown that would have prevented that. God bless you, Tommy and your family.

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2020 5:44 am    

Thank you Donna. Peace and love to you and family. Let your forum family know if you need anything we can help you with.

Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2020 6:02 am     Tommy

Donna,
My deepest sympathy & prayers for you and family.🙏🙏🙏

Lee Bartram

Sparta, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2020 6:06 am    

Donna,I ever got to meet Tommy in person but I sold him a s-10 Carter guitar for one of his students and I bought a power amp from him ,we talked via phone.I could hardly read your post from wiping the tears from my eyes.Thank you for sharing that with us.The faith that you and Tommy exhibits are a great inspiration to all of us.My prayers are with you.
Wouldn't it be so great if in our country we had more people like you and many others on this forum that would openly give testimony to how great our God is.
GOD bless you and your family in the days ahead.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2020 6:20 am    

Donna,

I didn't know Tommy, but living here in Nashville I always knew of him and heard his great playing. Thx for writing that!

When ever a fellow steel guitarist dies, it makes me sad as we share a bond that only a steel player knows.

Ron

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2020 6:20 am    

God bless you and give you comfort, Donna.
Tommy was blessed to have you at his side.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2020 6:52 am    

Donna, I know the effort of being a caregiver and do all supporter of a spouse. I can only applaud your tireless dedication to Tommy and know you can rest assured that you did everything possible to comfort him during this stressful journey. Thank you for sharing the events and information related to Tommys struggle to overcome a mountain of handicaps . You're story touched my heart and soul. God bless you and your family and may peace be in your life.

Floyd Lowery

Deland, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2020 6:54 am    

Thank you Donna for sharing this with us. If God has favorites, I feel sure Tommy is one of his special ones. I never met him in this life, but I hope to in the next one. I will be praying for you and your family. May God comfort you all.

Junior Knight

Eustace Texas..paddle faster..I hear Banjos...
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2020 7:10 am    

Words will never be enough to express the love and respect
that I will always have for Tommy.. both as a great Steelman and a person and friend.
Prayers up for you and all your family!

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2020 7:15 am    

Personally I never met Tommy but saw him perform in person a number of times and was always impressed with his playing. He always performed as if he was having so much fun. Sounds like he was a real Trooper with his fight during the times Donna talked about. May he rest in peace. We'll miss him.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2020 7:49 am    

Thank you for posting this Donna.
As you know, in the months and years preceding all this, Tommy and I spent many an hour on the phone (mostly arguing about something steel related, hehe).

We had been friends since the mid 70's. When Tommy moved to Atlanta, we opening our home to him until he could find a place of his own. I actually don't remember how long he lived with us. He said about 2-3 months. I said about 2-3 years. hehe

We spent many an hour in a car together (usually mine) on the way to and from steel guitar events. And he was so gracious, he would let me buy the gas.

I remember one trip to St Louis that I let him drive my Blazer. I dozed off and when I woke up the world was flying by. I looked at the speedometer and it was pegged out at 100mpg. I almost did you know what in my pants and vowed that I would never let him drive again.

We shared picking gigs when one of us could not make it and shared the same stage, butting heads, at many jam sessions. All in fun the whole time.

I loved and will miss TD

May our Lord let him rest in peace.

Bill
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Jason Stillwell

Caddo, OK, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2020 8:51 am    

Thanks for sharing, Donna. 💔

Roy Rosetta

Nederland, Texas.. On the Texas Gulf Coast
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2020 9:02 am    

Tommy was one of the first people that Roy and I met in St. Louis many years ago. He has since then been a wonderful friend to us both. What an incredible player he was. I asked him one time to learn the song "Somewhere Out There" by Linda Ronstadt and he did such an amazing job of playing it. Tommy was so kind and generous to the TSGA Benevolent Fund and he loved making me and the other team members laugh every time he passed in front of us.

Our hearts are swelled by your love story. May God Bless you in the days to come and always know that we are here for you in whatever way you may need.

Barbara Rosetta, Board Member of TSGA and Team Leader of TSGA Benevolent Fund
And Roy, the piano player that loved playing with Tommy

Laney Hicks

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2020 10:19 am     True Love

Donna,
True Love may get its start in the fairytale attraction stage...but it doesn't become the real thing until you've spent some time in the Valley getting right down to the heart of the matter, where the absolute truth about yourselves gets revealed...and Love grows up. Two very special people crawled through that almost impossible journey together. I just can't tell you how deep our respect and love for both of you goes! But, you, Donna Dodd are more than I know you even want to hear about right now; you were an angel sent of God to Tommy Dodd, for the good times, and for that journey, because he could not have done it without your heart and your tireless, encouraging presence; and you could not have done it without the Lord's empowering you supernaturally to meet the next minute's required demands.

Lord, hold you ever tighter to Himself now, and keep you dear Donna. We love you, sweet friend, Laney and Russ

Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2020 11:10 am    

Beautiful, thank you for sharing.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2020 11:20 am    

Donna reading this breaks my heart for you, and I don't even know you... Its VERY Obvious how blessed Tommy was to have you by/ON his side... I'm blessed with a wife like that too, who spent all 11 days I was in the hospital having lung surgery 2 years ago... God has made you and my wife a blessing to those around you... May God grant you peace and comfort through this... He's ALWAYS there.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Jack Strayhorn

Winston-Salem, NC
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2020 11:42 am    

May peace be yours.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2020 12:28 pm    

Dear Donna, If I were able to express things very well I would have written exactly what Laney said. You have earned your wings many times over. May God bless and keep you and the rest of the family.