The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP Tommy Dodd
Sandra Scott-Wall

St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2020 8:44 am    

Donna, we are so sorry to hear this. Condolences from our family to yours. RIP Tommy.

Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 7 Dec 2020 8:47 am    

I just didn't want to believe it. Prayers and blessings for Donna and the whole family. Great player and friend. Definitely will be missed.

Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2020 8:54 am     RIP Tommy Dodd

Dear Donna,

Kathy and I are so saddened by this tragic news. We want to extend our deepest condolences to you and your family. Tommy will definitely be missed by all who had the pleasure of knowing him.

Sincerely,

Lynn and Kathy Stafford

Franklin

Post  Posted 7 Dec 2020 8:58 am    

Shocking news to wake up to...Donna, sending you our love and prayers.
Paul Sr. and family

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2020 9:01 am    

A deep sadness here at my house today! Tommy was such a beautiful soul and an inspiration! Deep condolences Donna! 🙏🙏🙏

Floyd Lowery

Deland, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2020 9:09 am    

So very sorry to hear this. Donna you will still be in my prayers.

doug jernigan

smyrna tn, usa
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2020 9:15 am     Tommy RIP

Donna, Jetta and I are so sorry to hear of Tommy's passing. Tommy was a long time friend of mine. We spent a lot time together at the Dallas Steel Guitar Show. I have always admired his playing. Our heart felt prayers go out to Donna
and the rest of the family. His presence will be missed here but there is great rejoicing in Heaven! See you on the other side my friend and brother!

Brian Gattis

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2020 9:17 am    

Condolences to Donna and the family. I sure will miss Tommy! He helped me so much with my lessons. What a great man. He will be missed by everybody that
knew him.

Last edited by Brian Gattis on 8 Dec 2020 3:41 pm; edited 2 times in total

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2020 9:40 am    

Being a post-transplant patient myself, it’s especially sad that Tommy passed after his complex surgery and long rehabilitation ordeal. He was much loved by the steel guitar community and will be missed. My condolences to Donna and the Dodd family.

Last edited by Tony Glassman on 7 Dec 2020 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dennis Ellerbee

Jackson, Georgia US
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2020 9:42 am     Tommy

Rest in peace my old friend. Been friends with Tommy for twenty years. The steel guitar community lost a good one. Prayers for Donna and family.

Jim McGinnis

Owasso, OK USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2020 10:04 am    

Prayers for Donna and family. I remember several years ago hearing him play "Come Dance with me" and his medley of the Turtles song "Happy together and Pick me up on your way down" in Dallas. I couldn't wait to get home to learn those songs. I never met anyway who had more fun on his guitar than Tommy. He will be missed. Thank god for our wonderful memories.

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2020 11:02 am    

Oh this is hard. My deepest sympathies to Donna and the rest of Tommy's family. He was such a great pedal steel player, and he was a kind person.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2020 11:10 am    

OMG, I'm at a loss for words. This is such devastating news. Like so many of us here I thought that Tommy was on the good road to getting back. We have lost a great player and, by far more important, a great person and a so well-respected human being.

Donna, please accept my heartfelt condolences and be sure that I am thinking of you. I know that words cannot really help, but the love for Tommy that so many of us here have expressed may provide comfort.

RIP, Tommy and Thanks for the gift of having known you.

Walter Stettner
Vienna, Austria

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2020 11:27 am    

My heart aches at this news. Among all the friends I've made through playing the steel shows since 1992, Tommy became one of my closest pals, Donna as well. Whenever my caller ID spelled out his name, I always perked up with a smile because he just had that effect on me. If I ever attend another steel show, it will be a little darker because TD's light will be missing for me.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Wesley Medlen

LaCygne,Ks
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2020 12:02 pm    

Very sorry to hear this Donna. Our prayers go out for you and your family. God Bless Jenny and wes

Fred Martin

Phoenix, Az
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2020 12:37 pm    

Very sorry ! He could warm up a room before he hit a note!, And never will forget him cranking out Billie Jean! Just the best !

Larry Custer

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2020 1:22 pm    

I'm so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with your family. Tommy was a great picker,he will be missed at steel shows.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2020 1:43 pm    

Prayers for Donna and Family, and all of Tommy's Friends! Sorry to hear this news! I only met Tommy once and it was at the Alabama Steel Guitar Association's first Hall of Fame Show!

Tommy was a Great Guy and Wonderful Steel Guitarist! I have his very first solo CD Album and always enjoy listening to him play. Again we send our prayers and condolences! RIP Tommy!

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2020 4:18 pm    

Wow this is a shock. I knew Tommy was seriously ill. But always felt he would pull through. Tommy was tuff like that.

As this thread attest. He was loved by all who knew him.

Rest in Peace big fellow. You deserve it. Prayers for Donna and the entire Dodd family.

Jana Lockaby

Kaufman, TX
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2020 5:30 pm    

He inspired me with his playing, and encouraged me with his words. He, and Donna, are such very, special, people to me. Such a very, special man. Thoughts, and prayers, for Donna, and the family.

Tony Edwards

Six Mile, South Carolina
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2020 5:33 pm     Tommy Dodd

I am so sorry to learn of Tommy's passing. I did a recording session with Tommy way back in 1977 at the Sounding Board in Easley, SC. He played steel (of course) and I played lead guitar. Many years later, I met Tommy at the Southern Steel Convention in Saluda, SC. One of the nicest guys around and he always remembered me when he saw me. What a great steel player! Rest in Peace, My friend. Our condolences to Donna. May the Lord speak a peace which passes all understanding to you today. Love and Prayers.
CLR Custom SD10 Pedal Steel; Telonics 500-B Combo w/ TT 15"; Hilton Low Profile VP; Telonics X-10 Pup; Frenchy's Steel Mill Strings; George L's Cables; BJS Tone Bar; Hoffmeyer Picks. This combination produces a Heavenly tone! Psalm 33:2 "Praise the Lord with...an instrument of ten strings."
"Listen and silent are spelled with the same letters!"

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2020 6:02 pm    

I am sorry to hear about Tommy Dodd's passing. He was an excellent pedal steel player and he always chose really interesting songs. I had some nice conversations with him at the steel shows and his love for the steel guitar and for life in general was inspirational. My condolences go out to his wife Donna and to all of his family and friends.

rick andrews

Westminster Co 80031
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2020 7:39 pm    

I am sad to hear this. Strength and peace for Donna and family.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2020 7:45 pm    

One of a kind. Conveyed everything an entertainer would wish to achieve. Stu-S, I remember the first time you played with him @ SWSGA. He introduced you as his new "best Friend". Last time I seen him and Donna they had both lost a lot of weight and looked great. I just got done playing my set and he made my day by telling me "You know, I'm going to have to steal some of your songs". He then gave me one of those special smiles. What a loss. Thanks Tommy. See you later. May the the Lord comfort you Donna. Ron Pruter

Roy Rosetta

Nederland, Texas.. On the Texas Gulf Coast
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2020 8:17 pm    

Our prayers and condolences go out to Donna and the family. This is really sad news. Tommy was a dear friend who over the many years of our friendship shared many great moments and times together. I always looked forward to Tommy's sets on all the shows he played on because his show always had so much energy.
Rest in peace dear friend and go be with Our Precious Lord.
...Roy and Barbara