The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fractal Axe-Fx III
Max Bernstein

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2020 5:46 pm    

Seems like this topic comes up on the forum every few years -- I use a Fractal Axe-Fx III on a 6 string gig and may be incorporating some steel. I've made a few patches that sound OKAY but not great like I can get my reg. guitar patches. Is anyone here using a Fractal (any version)? Does anyone have any presets they've made on any version of the Fractal they'd be willing to share, or any best practices?

Thanks!

Jerry Erickson

Atlanta,IL 61723
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2020 5:32 am    

Max, I use an AxeFx II mkII. I'll email you a few patches. What pedal steel guitar are you playing?

Max Bernstein

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2020 1:29 am    

Thanks for sending these Jerry, big improvement over what I was working with. Messing around now with these w the Eminence IRs discussed in another thread and like what I am hearing.

Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2020 9:20 am    

Are you guys using a volume pedal in front of the Axe FX, or are you using the Fractal expression pedals? I just got my FM3, and am considering trying one of the exp pedals as my volume pedal.....I generally use a Hilton active volume pedal, and love the idea of one less power supply.

Also, have you all created a pedal steel tuning preset, or are you using outboard tuners?

Tom Dillon

La Mesa, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2020 9:51 am    

I recently got an Axe-FX. So far I'm still figuring out the ideal audio routing and settings for using it as my main audio interface. I was surprised that it doesn't have a mic pre built in.

I haven't dug deep into the presets yet, but I can say the Twin Reverb Silverface amp model ("Double Verb") sounds pretty great for steel with the default settings. I did turn down the master volume for more headroom, and swapped the reverb in the preset for the Spring Reverb model. I haven't spent a lot of time with it yet but it sounds promising. I also have a few of those new Eminence steel guitar speaker IRs to try out with it.

Jerry Erickson

Atlanta,IL 61723
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2020 10:57 am     Volume pedal question

Charley,I use my volume pedal in front of it, like I would on a real amp.