The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Eminence impulse responses
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2020 11:16 pm    

I see that Eminence is offering impulse responses for the PF350, the Wheelhouse 150, and the Travis Toy Double-T 12. That sounds like a good sampling to load into my Two Notes CABM, but I can't tell if they actually sound any good. The sound samples on the website are just rock and metal guitar with heavy overdrive.

Has anyone tried any of them?

Also, how hard is it to load impulse responses? I've never done it and am a bit technology challenged.

Patrick Richards

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2020 6:25 am     Wheelhouse 150

Deleted. Sorry guys off target.

Last edited by Patrick Richards on 30 Nov 2020 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Patrick Richards

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2020 7:34 am     Wheelhouse

Deleted.

Last edited by Patrick Richards on 30 Nov 2020 1:18 pm; edited 2 times in total

Patrick Richards

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2020 7:36 am     Wheelhouse 150

Deleted.

Last edited by Patrick Richards on 30 Nov 2020 2:22 pm; edited 3 times in total

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2020 8:52 am    

Paul, I have limited experience with impulses but I do know that each system will respond different to the impulses. A PA speaker that is more neutral has a better shot at delivering the best example. Line 6 uses impulses and depending on what amp and speaker set I use, the tones have to be further tweaked to my own personal liking. It's always worth a shot to try it out. I need a separate box like the 2 tone to be able to download impulses beyond my limited older line 6.

Corbin Pratt

Nashville
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2020 11:14 am    

I bought the PF350 IRs for my Kemper. I think they sound really great. They are very inexpensive as well. I have used a CABM before and none of the IRs were directly for pedal steel. These are significantly better than anything I've gotten from Two Notes. It's super easy to load them into a CABM or a Kemper.

Show Pro SD-10, Shaw Amplifiers, Kemper

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2020 12:00 pm    

I went ahead and bought the 3 impulse responses because Eminence was offering 3 for the price of 2. That deal ends at midnight tonight, BTW. It cost less than $24 for all 3.

The impulse responses loaded onto my home computer very easily. But now I can't get them to load into the CABM. I've done the latest update to the CABM, and have loaded the Torpedo Remote app onto the home computer. Everything is connected via USB and I can open the Torpedo Remote program, but I can't find the Eminence IRs anywhere on the IR Loader page, or the IR Manager page. The IRs show up in the download section on the computer, but there is nothing in the downloads on the Torpedo Remote pages.

Any suggestions?

Corbin Pratt

Nashville
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2020 12:08 pm    

See if this helps. If not, let me know.

https://support.two-notes.com/knowledgebase.php?article=239

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2020 1:08 pm    

Corbin: Thanks for the link, but I'm still stuck. The Torpedo Remote app is not showing the IRs that are in my computers download section, as well as in documents. So there is nothing to be dragged from the left column to the right on the IR Manager screen.

I need to get some other things done today so I'll have to come back to this later.

This is obviously operator error.

Corbin Pratt

Nashville
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2020 1:19 pm    

Ok, if I can help please let me know.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2020 4:51 pm    

I think I got it, after mucking around with the downloads in the computer. I got the IRs into the impulse file at leveled 48, whatever that means. And the Torpedo finally accepted them. Now to see if any of this works.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2020 11:07 pm    

It works!! So far I like the Wheelhouse/421 simulation the best. More experimentation is needed.

Corbin Pratt

Nashville
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2020 5:14 am    

Great! I've always found myself leaning towards a 421 on pretty much everything.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2020 6:32 am    

Slightly off subject, but since it was mentioned liking one speaker over others. In real life testing, I tried 3 speakers in a Peavey Nashville 112 (stock no mods), one being the Travis Toy 12, another the Telonics 12 (another custom Eminence neo) and another 12" no name neo speaker. The Telonics 12 won out in the NV112 by a narrow margin over the Travis Toy 12.

But the TT12 is the perfect steel speaker in the Quilter TT12 speaker combo. The Quilter "Block Dock" 12" speaker enclosure is perfect for the TT12. I tried the Telonics 12 in the Quilter Block Dock enclosure and like the Telonics winning over the TT!2 in the NV112, the TT12 won out over the Telonics in the Block Dock enclosure.

Thus sampling with different mic's, as Eminence is doing, may not really be a good offering. You may be able to hear the difference between microphones but not much more.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2020 1:56 am    

After using the Eminence impulse responses for five days I more or less settled on the Wheelhouse 150 with the Royer mic as the best overall simulation. But then tonight I played through my regular tube amp into a real speaker. That definitely sounds better to me. The Dual Showman, sweetened by a Brigadier delay and Wet Reverb, into the PF350 is smoother and more even sounding. The simulation sounds pretty good, but it can be screechy by comparison. If I have to play direct I can get by with the simulation gear, but my first choice will probably always be a real amp

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2020 6:54 am    

Paul, that's no surprise. After tweaking a number of modeler pedals with speaker cab simulation you get lost in the sound and find an acceptable better tone. Then when going back you find what was missing in the real tone. Tone chasing is an endless pricy affair with only slight rewards. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.