The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  â€œIf Teardrops Were Pennies” intro: Take 3
Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2020 10:54 am    

Talk about earworms in a good way, this is it: third and final attempt to get this Lloyd lick right. And yes, Tommy, it’s in C#.

If Teardrops Were Pennies

Cool Steve Fishell story about this song HERE.

No idea how Lloyd got that little lick in the second measure without a sixth string lower.

Dolly Porter teardrops

Brett Resnick

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2021 10:22 am    

I was doing a little late night tab cruise and found this. Don’t think I’d ever heard this cut before. Frank’s tab got me thinking about how Lloyd approached it. Great intro per usual from Lloyd. Did some restructuring to Frank’s tab and this is how I think Lloyd might’ve played it. Don’t write tabs often so hopefully you can translate my chicken scratch.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2021 7:34 am    

I like the way it lays, Brett - thanks!

BTW it looks like this sweet intro was done by Stu Basore: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=162500

Sam Inglis

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2021 3:05 pm    

A question from a beginner if you don't mind -- the basic outline of this intro is much easier if you play the first five notes at the ninth fret as shown in Brett's tab, then slide directly to the 16th and play the next two full bars there using just the A and B pedals. But I'm guessing you hear something in the performance that tells you it wasn't done that way -- what?

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2021 5:39 am    

Sam Inglis wrote:
A question from a beginner if you don't mind -- the basic outline of this intro is much easier if you play the first five notes at the ninth fret as shown in Brett's tab, then slide directly to the 16th and play the next two full bars there using just the A and B pedals. But I'm guessing you hear something in the performance that tells you it wasn't done that way -- what?

Fair question.

I hear a tension or tautness in the first five notes that finally led me to choose the pedals-down position at fret 14. The heavier strings just don't sustain well at that altitude, giving it more of a pinched, clipped sound, which is what I wanted.

Ease of playing is often a major consideration in tabbing. But because this passage isn't particularly difficult technically, I kept trying different positions until I found one that synced up best with what's in my head and my hands. And Brett's take was brand new for me.

Sam Inglis

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2021 9:09 am    

Thank you for the insight, Frank!