The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ''simple'' or ''freeze'' settings don't seem to work for me
John Ed Kelly

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2020 5:18 pm    

Hello again folks.

OK, I'm getting up to speed with my 2016 version BIAB, and thanks for replying to my first request.

I read up on the settings as for the subject above and I think I understand what it's about...but...

Just as an example, in a 32 bar standard tune with 4 bars of Eb being the desired sequence (bars 17-20), BIAB insists on playing (Eb, Eb9, Eb, Eb9) as a variation which I just don't need or want.

BIAB is not just adding a passing chord as a segue to the next chord, by the way, its changing the nature of the desired chord.

So, I experimented with ''simple'' and ''freeze'' and it still persists in playing its variation, which does not fit the fairly uncomplicated melody, so I'm baffled.

Perhaps one of you folks out there can help...thanks...JK

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2020 5:31 pm    

Simple arrangement and track freeze do two different things.

Simple arrangement tells Band-in-a-Box to select an arrangement that is not as busy.

Track freeze, the gray/blue snowflake control on each track, tells Band-in-a-Box to freeze the track content. If you press the regenerate command a track with a blue snowflake (freeze is enabled) will not regenerate while a track with a gray snowflake does regenerate.

Two tricks you can try are (1) modify your chord chart, regenerate, return to your original chord chart and (2) change styles then return to the original style.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

John Ed Kelly

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2020 9:28 pm    

Thanks Jim...I'll work through your advice...JK

Jim Fogle

Post  Posted 26 Nov 2020 9:33 am    

John,

Did you get it worked out to your satisfaction?

John Ed Kelly

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2020 4:38 pm    

Hi Jim,

It's still a bother having supplementary or passing chords being added by BIAB. Here's an example of the required chords:
F F F F Bb F C7 F C7 C7
F F F F Gm C7 F F
F F C7 C7 C7 C7 F F
Bb Bb F F Gm C7 F F

All I really want is for BIAB to play these straight. It's an old hymn and doesn't need extra chords or variations.

At present I have found that ''Bogey - Slow Swing Ballad'' gives me an approximation of the real rhythm section in our working band. There no way our chord player would add modern substitutions and additional chords without upsetting the flow of the melody.

I find BIAB to be excellent, but I don't need it to ''second guess'' my chord needs. I HAVE experimented with various settings and used the ''simple'' option but it does not dampen the the enthusiasm (so to speak) of the chord player.

I tried your trick (2), but that didn't work for me. I am unsure of what trick (1) will do.

By modify chart you mean I should change some chords, if so to what extent?

To ''regenerate'' means to save the file?

To ''return to original chord chart'', means to change those new chords back?

Sorry, for the obvious questions, but this version of BIAB is so much more complicated than my unusable 1998 version. The old version didn't add in supplementary chords, so you can understand my dilemma.

Thanks.. John

Jim Fogle

Post  Posted 4 Dec 2020 7:12 pm    

John,

Regenerate means to tell Band-in-a-Box to rebuild the song. By default, all tracks regenerate when the green play button with the stars is selected. It's kind of the same thing as telling musicians to play a song again, but to play the song just a little different.

You can freeze a track to prevent the track from regenerating. Sometimes one or more tracks, for instance drums and bass, may play exactly like you want. Each mixer track has a snowflake button. Enabling the snowflake button on a mixer track is like telling a musician, "That's great! Don't change a thing!" When that happens, press a track's snowflake button (the snowflake color changes from gray to blue) and the tracks will not rebuild (regenerate) when you regenerate.

What I'm suggesting is the freeze the tracks you don't want to change. Then select the green play with stars button so the tracks you don't like will rebuild.

If that doesn't help, simplify the chord chart. For example, instead of F F F F Bb F C7 F C7 C7 try (note - means blank in my example) F - - - Bb F C7 F C7 - where you don't type in the same chord over and over when it occurs multiple times and then regenerate the tracks you don't like.

Sometimes you can slightly change the song tempo and that will make Band-in-a-Box use different audio.

Another trick is to change the key signature of the song. If it's set to F, try it in E. It's a half step lower but Band-in-a-Box will be forced to use different RealTracks audio.

Another trick is to replace a RealTrack with a different RealTrack, midi instrument or a midi SuperTrack.