The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dekley 3x2 ¿is $800 a good deal?
Hugo Olmos

Spain
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2020 12:06 am    

Hello everybody,

This is my first message in this forum. I've been looking for my first pedal steel for a while and as this instruments are not common here in Spain, it very dificult to find a used one.
I found a Deckley in a second hand instruments shop but as it's not in my city I can't play it on site. They said it's from a old profesional musician who is selling most of his gear.
It only has 2 knee levers and the deckley logo seems to be a sticker.

Is $800 a good deal? They said it doesn't have any tuning problem and it works perfectly.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2020 3:44 am    

I did some setup work recently on a similar model. Not identical -- I notice some differences. I am NOT familiar with the evolution of the Dekley student model and how they may differ over time.

The guitar had been in storage for many years and I expected it to need a lot of work. Instead, it was nearly in perfect tune and it played very well. It also sounded very good. It seemed like a superior steel, compared with other student models from the past.
I was impressed.

I would advise a person to have 3 levers to start but there is MUCH that can be done with 2.
If you can buy this with a guarantee that it will be mechanically solid, then in my opinion that price is reasonable.

Here is a discussion of my recent experience.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=359477

edited to add: I would guess that the knee lever in the foreground was added later. It looks perfectly good to me.

Hugo Olmos

Spain
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2020 4:16 am    

Thanks!

I am waiting for a video they are about to send, and as it's a shop they offered a refound in case there are any issues.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2020 4:27 am    

A steel guitar that sounds good and plays well (plays in tune and stays in tune) and has 2 levers.......in my opinion this is definitely worth $800.
My biggest disappointment in this guitar is the way the legs attach to the body. There is nothing that can make it more solid and firm (I tried). But it was not a disqualifying feature.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2020 4:34 am    

I think the plastic leg brackets had a poor history of getting loose over time. There is a problem getting Instruments where you are and shipping from US is expensive, I’m sure. However if you saved another few hundred dollars you could get something like this!
http://www.justicesteelguitars.com/S10%20Jr.html
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2020 4:55 am    

If you could get the $$ together, that is definitely a better option.

Dick Hitchcock

Wayne, Nebraska
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2020 5:37 am    

Hugo, I agree with Jon. I am on my 2nd Justice (My 1st was an S10), and they are definitely a pro level guitar, with as much as you want to start out with... You won't find better people to deal with than Fred or Ron....My 2 cents!

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2020 6:15 am    

Myself being a Brit, i know how hard it was to locate and find a steel back then before the internet, and being outside the U.S.A you sort of took what popped up, these machines are like gold dust in EU...Of course things have changed now with the world, you can buy anywhere, but honestly from an old school mentality, 3 pedals and 2 levers can go a long long way and keep you busy for a lot of years chasing the classic licks etc. Personally if i was starting out i'd be all over it for $800.

Hugo Olmos

Spain
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2020 6:26 am    

I've just purchased it and it will be probably in my recording studio early next week.

I'll post my opinion from my beginner point of view once I am able to play a few notes on it. I can play dobro and lap steel but I suppose this is a different animal.

Thank you all for your fast responses.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2020 12:42 pm    

I think you made a great buy. Should take you a long ways.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2020 2:31 pm     Dekley

Yes
Great guitars. You can use older msa parts on them

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2020 4:15 pm     Dekley

Good Luck...

Dwight Lewis

Huntsville, Alabama
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2020 10:51 am     800 on pedal steel

I would wait, scrape together a couple more 100 bucks and you'll find a jewel here on the forum for sure.

My opinion.

Dwight

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2020 2:57 pm    

If you lived in America, I'd say byes. But sooner or later you will want or need more knee levers. Where van you get them in Spain?

Shipping the guitar to England or America, plus the cost of the levers, is going to be prohibitively expensive, You're better off buying a guitar that already has 4 knee levers. (Not the Carter Starter though.)

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2020 3:00 pm    

Good luck Hugo