The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tommy White
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2020 3:03 pm    

Do you realize Tommy White has been the staff steel guitarist at the Grand Ole Opry for 22 years? I still get to see him there, mask and all, through Circle TV.

Congratulations on your long run there Tommy and your other accomplishments as well.

Tommy is from my area and although I never really knew him here, I used to see him at the clubs and jamborees when he was a teen-ager and young adult. He was terrific way back then.

What he has accomplished I guess is what most steel guitar players dream of.

He can be seen tearing it up on the recorded versions of the Vincent and Dailey shows and the Ray Stevens CabaRay shows on Circle as well.

Just wanted to throw a little recognition and thanks your way for all the music you've given us over the years while I can.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2020 4:15 pm    

I watch those shows and reruns on RFD TV. Mostly I get my steel fix from YouTube. I use my tablet and earbuds so the little lady can watch her horrible terrestrial TV. Remember the TNN network. I was in hog heaven when that was on. Wonderful shows and all fresh material. Lots of steel guitar. Tommy, Larry Sasser, Hal Rugg, and many more.

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2020 5:43 am    

It is amazing that it has been that long. (22 years) Tommy is a wonderful player and ever better all around guy.
He never has a anything but a kind word for everyone. His parents did a good job with him! What a player!!!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2020 1:46 pm    

Wow, 22 years! Tommy's a first-rate player, and for over twice that long, he's been on my personal "Top 10 Players" list. Mr. Green

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2020 1:54 pm     22 yrs.

Yeah, I think that's right. I read in an interview in a 2002 copy of the NTSGA newsletter that he had been at the Opry 4 yrs. at that time. I defer to Tommy, of course.

Those old shows that Larry mentioned are good too, but I wanted point out that you can still see Tommy and the Opry live on Circle TV.

please wear a mask. just do it. it won't kill you.😷

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2020 9:09 pm    

Aw, thank you so much for mentioning my tenure at the Grand Ole Opry Jerry.
I’ve had the most fortunate things in a steel player’s career happen to me. I’ve devoted my entire life to pedal steel guitar, the instrument we love. To have anyone recognize me or my career accomplishments is most certainly humbling. My hope is that, the instrument lives on. It is the most versatile and beautiful voice I can think of in any genre of music.
Stay safe and well my friends!

Robert Rogers

Manchester,TN
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2020 12:33 pm    

Tommy your a true legend and I'm proud to know you,
Robert Rogers

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2020 11:36 am    

Again, thanks so much fellas! So nice.
To the best of my recollection, I started playing the Grand Ole Opry in January 1986 with The Whites. I quit in October 1993 due to a busy schedule with cable TV shows on the Nashville Network and recording sessions. I would return to the Opry as staff steel player in I believe April 1997 or possibly 1998 when our dear departed hero Weldon Myrick resigned the position. 😊

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2020 2:07 pm    

Again, thank you to everyone! I’ve received an overwhelming amount of emails and pms.
I’m working hard to return a reply to everyone! I want to thank Paul Franklin for including me in his method course! Paul’s course is just the best and it was an honor for me to have a small part in contributing. I hope everyone of you stays safe and healthy! 😊

Junior Knight

Eustace Texas..paddle faster..I hear Banjos...
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2020 2:20 pm    

The way I see it...
The opry is very very lucky to have Tommy White. One of the greatest and innovative players God has ever made.

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2020 3:41 pm    

Thank you Junior Night! I feel the same about you and your playing!

Junior Knight

Eustace Texas..paddle faster..I hear Banjos...
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2020 3:46 pm    

Thank you sir. I appreciate that.

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2020 12:03 pm    

Tommy,
This should make you feel good. This oversized 15 year old kid with his ShoBud LDG, that you met at a little music theatre in West Plains MO, is now a 50 year old man, still trying to play half as good as you were when you were just in your teens. It is such a great honor to know you and can call you my friend.

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2020 8:14 am     Tommy

Probably in the 90's when tommy was doing one of the cable shows,Music City Tonight might be it.I witnessed tommy ,Wanda Vick?,and the full band do orange blossom special. he played a Bud. I have never been the same!! Wow. Used to be on Youtube. Wonder if it is out there somewhere to view again. anyhow,Tommy you are "the killer"

Franklin

Post  Posted 27 Nov 2020 1:17 am    

I second what Junior said about TW! I want to publicly thank Tommy for covering the Time Jumper gig so many different times. I am proud to say Tommy is also my dear friend. Greatness runs thick in his soul!

Paul

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2020 7:30 am    

One of the great things about this Forum is that we have the best players in the world participating. Paul Franklin and Tommy White, both wonderful gentlemen and the finest players of pedal steel guitar, thanks you for being here, sharing with us you knowledge and expertise, and all the wonderful and heart felt music over the years.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2020 10:37 am    

Tommy is a dear friend, gentleman and an awesome person ... you'd be a hard pressed to find a nicer guy than Tommy ... I don't need to mention his playing, we all know what happens when Tommy sits behind his steel ..

Billy Knowles

Kenansville, N. C. 28349 usa
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2020 7:53 am     Tommy White

Tommy White is one of the Greatest Steel Guitar Players to ever play the instrument. As well as a great 6 string player also. He and Jimmy Capps played the Opry for ever because of their Greatness. But equally as important, he is one of the nicest people on the planet.

STEEL GUITAR EAST

Emmons authorized dealer and approved service technician

my web site: http://www.steelguitareast.com

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 8 May 2021 6:17 pm     Tommy wearing it out on Opry Live tonight

Circle TV. Opry Live tonight. Last segment. Steve Wariner Family band Burnin' the Roadhouse Down. Tommy White burning the C neck down. Good Grief. Smokin'. Long jam session. Lots of picking by the entire band.

Repeats here at midnight Eastern DST. Worth a look.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 May 2021 12:57 am    

Several years back while I was in Nville , TW was on stage at The Stage with Vince Moreno. After a bit I had to leave and TW motioned me to wait one more song. He and Vince swapped seats, TW was now on Telecaster, Vince on Steel. They covered a smokin cover of RT 66 ! TW is not just a great Steel player, Tele pickers be advised , he can wear out the frets ! Laughing

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2021 7:48 am    

In my not so humble opinion , one of the best players on the planet ! Congrats Tommy!

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 23 May 2021 8:32 am    

Mr. Tommy White is like Spider Wilson. He always seems to be around a TV camera! We've been so fortunate for that for so many years.

George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2021 4:46 pm    

If not mistaken I seem to recall Buddy Emmons saying that Tommy White was his favorite player. That should tell us something.

Benn watching him for years.

Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2021 1:33 pm    

Tommy you are the Greatest ever and you're so kind. You are a dear Brother to me and I value our friendship so very much. Top of the Breed in this cat. Way to go my friend.

Michael Breid

Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2021 7:36 am    

Years ago I was with a group that opened for Donna Fargo. Tommy was playing steel with her then. I saw this kid with long hair tuning up his steel and asked him if he'd ever heard of this hot-shot steel player in Nashville that everyone was talking about named Tommy White. He answered, "I guess that would be me, but I don't think I'm a hot-shot steel player". Nice fellow.