The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The process BIAB to the DAW
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2020 3:16 am    

the process , this recent track is an example of the process that I have in place, probably similar to many. I have a had a few questions regarding this.

MP3 LINK ( guitar song ) >>>> http://www.tprior.com/Bsim.mp3

Here is another from a CD we did maybe 2 years ago. It has some conflict and level flaws that I now notice , but didn't notice at the time. Sad Live and learn apparently.

http://tprior.com/Once%20A%20Day.mp3

Disclaimer, the tracks that we complete here at my home studio,"the Rumble Room" are not retail, they are demo and fun,they are not intended for the CMA awards show ! The bar is set pretty low especially for drum tracks using any program.

A typical procedure for me, and I'm sure others, write the entire arrangement over in BIAB, this obviously is after the BIAB style is selected. I listen carefully to each component , especially the drum track with those extra fills. I will typically go into the drum editor and delete those extra fills to make the drum track more simple. To me no fill is better than an weird or offensive fill.

One thing I have learned over the years, and probably right here in this SG Forum group, is the use of DOT, DOT DOT and DOT DOT DOT ( ./../ ... ) for endings and arrangements. I no longer allow BIAB to create endings. I also do not use the BIAB repeat CHORUS functions, I write out the whole dang song and keep track ( pencil and paper) of the arrangement and measures.

IF a Bass line is simplistic it stays, if not I don't use it. If it hangs on I-V-I then it will be a consideration.

For me of equal importance is the AC guitars or maybe a simple piano track. IF they are simple and I mean simple, almost basic cowboy chord style, I will use them, if not I will track new instruments over in Pro Tools.

BIAB is a great program and gives a great snapshot of what we are wanting to do, but it can also add notes that are undesired. I don't have the patience to keep searching for the ultimate "biab tracks" , even though they are probably in there somewhere !

Once all the tracks are converted to WAV , inside BIAB, they are all sent over to Pro Tools and inserted into the session. At this point I have a standard process. The Drum track stays as a 2-track stereo, panned far left and far right. I add a stereo compressor ( Pro Tools) to that track to balance out any bizarre peaks, Its edited from one of the PT defaults, I call it BIAB Drums .

Each of the other tracks that I may use are now converted BACK to mono from the stereo BIAB track , this is a standard DAW function. We end up with TWO mono tracks. I save one and delete the other as well as the stereo track. If I use 2 Guitars or a Keyboard and Guitar I now have 2 mono tracks , they are now panned something like -75 and + 75 .

Same with the Bass line ,convert it to mono, use ONE mono track. The Bass line is set at center zero. Its now time to listen again, do they all fit nicely inside the BOX which I call my arrangement and vision ? IF the two guitar tracks are clashing, one goes or maybe they BOTH go and out comes the AC guitar for one or two NEW tracks recorded live. If the Bass track is useable,( not busy) great , if not out comes the Jazz Bass. The Bass track will also get a slight compressor and an EQ which pulls out everything under 80 HZ. There is nothing useful under 80 HZ anyway, get rid of it. It might even be 100, it just depends.LISTEN. The AC guitars may get a similar treatment but maybe up around 200 HZ, it just depends, what do we hear ? Do we hear a lot of BLAH on the bottom end or is it nice and clean ? A vocal, lead guitar or Steel will never jump out on the track if the bottom end is full of mud. IF the drum track is full of extra fills, same deal, it conflicts with the vocal, or lead instruments. IF we are playing in a band with a drummer like that we would turn and give them the evil eye !

Before the BIAB track is moved over to the DAW, it is "test proven" several times, its amazing that even after 2 or 3 times, an error is discovered. Now is the time to fix it. While it probably can be fixed over in the DAW, its much easier and way faster to FIX it ahead of the DAW.

Even after all of this, we have a few completed DEMO CDs we have done here at the house, I listen back months later and hear a conflict error and can't believe I missed it . This happens, but this does NOT happen on Music Row ! Very Happy

BIAB is a great tool for us to use with a DAW . Spend a few more minutes over in the BIAB world and the rewards may be plentiful over in the DAW world. I think my average time over in the BIAB world, once a style is selected, can be an hour or two. There is no rush. Keep in mind that I have already predetermined the arrangement ahead of BIAB.

The recent GUITAR track at the top, before laying down the electric guitar parts probably has a few hours combined time, BIAB/DAW track prep. Laying down the E Guitar, now thats another whole new topic , unrelated to BIAB. Laughing

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website