The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitar seats
Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2020 2:03 am    

Out of curiosity, Do YOU prefer a steelseat with a backrest ? I have a seat which had a backrest and after a while I felt that the back rest was not required so I removed it and the only noticeable difference was it was less bulky to carry.

Richard Stoops

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2020 6:16 am     seats with backrest

I have two Steeler's Choice seats, one had a backrest and the other didn't. I felt I needed a backrest, but the standard backrest wasn't high enough to give proper support and it felt like it was actually pushing me off the seat. I made a new, longer backrest and angled it back a bit. It felt great, so I made an identical one for the other seat. The added height and angle feels great and if I ever buy another seat I will add my own backrest design.

Dick

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2020 6:25 am    

Absolutely necessary for me. However as said, it needs to be tall enough for proper support. The taller backrest is a blessing. Of course it adds bulk to the size and you lose a bit of portable ease. My new seat from forum member Scott McCumber has the perfect backrest for me. You may not require the same height or size, so that can vary based on our physical body dimensions.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2020 2:50 pm    

I prefer a backrest myself, while I am actually playing it does not make contact with my back, but it's real nice to lean back against it when not playing a passage ... and it's also very beneficial during a long set list, or session over several hours !
I guess it will depend a bit on your "size" too -- since I am more of a slim jane pretzel I don't need it to stabilise a dodgy back hehe !!
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2020 5:15 pm    

Same as Paddy...

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2020 5:26 pm    

I've had a couple of Steeler's Choice basic seats with a back. They did not seem deep enough front to back for me and I'm a relatively small guy. I preferred the old backless sho-bud seat for years that I bought way back in the 80s. It was more comfortable for me and less restrictive.

In the last 5 yrs. however, I have several old man lower back problems so I went back to the Steelers Choice with a back and a sidecar. It lets me rest my old back between songs or just relax when possible.

My biggest problem with pac-a-seats is that I tend to stuff them full of possibles and they become as weighty as the amp, speakers etc., especially the bigger one with the side car.

I may be the odd man out, but in a perfect health situation, I'd still prefer the backless models.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2020 5:37 am    

A must for me, I use a Really lightweight Scott Dixon seat.

MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2020 5:45 am    

Probably the Rolls Royce of seats Malcolm.
Quite a hefty price though.
What is the weight of the seat(empty) ?

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2020 5:50 am    

Yep, they are expensive Billy, managed to pick mine up used. Will empty out all the contents, strings, volume pedal, tools, spare effects etc, and get back to you with wieght.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2020 7:32 am    

+1 for a seat with a back.

I built about a dozen seats late 80's/early 90's. I used boat seat hinges (Like Joe Naylor's steel seats). I experimented to get the right location for the seat back. It was a little higher than the boat seat hinge frame (stuck up about 2" higher than the frame about the same as Joe's seat backs) to get it secured to the hinges and still reach desired height.

I now have a Steeler's Choice sidekick with back. I bought one of Joe's "Lite" models with back as I wanted a lighter seat but missed the extra sidekick compartment so I sold it and just deal with the bigger/heavier seat.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2020 11:34 am    

Billy, weighed in at a fraction over 7Kgs. The newer version might be different as it has adjustable legs.

Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2020 2:57 pm    

Thanks Malcolm.

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2020 8:36 am    

+1 here for seats with backs. At a narrow 6'1" the Steelers Choice seats fit me perfectly, and the back support is often much appreciated. Truth be told I hurt my back throwing gravel and am at this moment writing while sitting on a Steelers Choice Sidekick, the height and padding of the seat, and the location and firmness of the back have proven most therapeutic. Surprise discovery, it's also easily the most comfortable tv chair I have.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2020 12:36 pm    

Malcolm that would be the perfect flying seat ... I have one of Joe's lite seats and took the back off it so it fits in the overhead on a plane better ... but I usually use my Steelers Choice sidecars (2 of those) for most of my gigs.
I must check out those Dixon seats though - very cool and light..so perfect for flying.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2020 3:56 pm    

Paddy, they have a updated model out, it has four individual folding height adjustable legs. Not seen one live yet, only a pic somewhere here on forum. Contact John Dixon, he will give you info, they have a dealership in US also.

Edward Efira

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2020 5:16 pm    

Malcolm McMaster wrote:
Paddy, they have a updated model out, it has four individual folding height adjustable legs. Not seen one live yet, only a pic somewhere here on forum. Contact John Dixon, he will give you info, they have a dealership in US also.

Malcolm,
I enquired with their sales guy and apparently they have no representation in the US. This is what I received after contacting them:

Hello Ed
Usual price for the Lap Steel Seat is £350 plus VAT and shipping, and yes we can ship to the US.
Best regards

Gavin

Gavin Coulson
Sales Agent - Scott Dixon Inc.
+44 (0) 7512 756 550
www.scottdixoninc.com
www.facebook.com/ScottDixonInc

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2020 12:58 am    

Ed, I was always of the understanding that they had a dealership in US from speaking to John Dixon, I just looked at website and appears to be one in Australia, but nothing for US.I know a lot of American artists and bands use their cases, and they are normally at the NAM show.
As regards price I don’t think you would pay VAT(20%) as it only applies to sales inside U.K.you would have to pay whatever the US import tax is.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2020 4:40 pm    

Pics of newer style adjustable legs

Edward Efira

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2020 5:40 pm    

Thanks Malcolm, it's a high price (approximately $500 with shipping) but it looks perfect to me, I am a small guy so the adjustable legs seem very attractive.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2020 1:24 am    

Ed, if they are at the NAM show in January, if it is on, you could always arrange to pick one up from them there and save shipping, perhaps get a demo one at a discount.

Edward Efira

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2020 5:41 pm    

Great suggestion Malcolm, I'm going to follow up with them, Thanks!

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2024 12:27 pm    

Cool seat!

David Wisson

Bedford, Bedfordshire, England
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2024 12:56 am    

Hi Billy Because I only play at home now. I use an office chair. My wife works from home so I'm tucked behind the office door. Every time I sit down and spin the chair to face my steel the back gets caught in the door handle.roll on retirement then the office becomes the music room and I get my bespoke Beech recording desk back from the wife! Dave 🥴