The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Session 500 Disassembly [SOLVED] Thanks, all!
Pat Greenwood

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2020 9:00 am    

My Session 500 acts like there is a bad connection. When I tap on the top it cuts in and out or makes an awful racket. I’d like to open the top section and Thought I removed all the screws ( four on the top straps and all the corner protectors and handle strap) but it seems like I am missing some retaining screw or screws. Any suggestions?

[EDIT] I did not get the top chassis out, but marked this solved based on the two replies below. Thank you! I put everything back together and I’m going to try troubleshooting in the traditional manner.[/EDIT]

Last edited by Pat Greenwood on 7 Nov 2020 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2020 11:19 am    

I think you got them all. The chassis might be pretty snug in there. If you don't see any screw heads on any surface I don't remember there being anything hidden. I took one out two or three years ago. When you say "open the top section" you do mean slide the chassis out the back I assume. As I recall that's what it does---slides out the back.

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2020 11:29 am     mark 4 session 500?

if your amp is the tall cabinet, it says mark4 on the front of the amp. if so you have to remove the chassis in 2 pieces. you remove the bottom section from the back side, there are a couple of harness you have to unplug. after u remove it you then remove the 4 strap screws from the topside of the amp....thanks jack

Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2020 11:35 am    

EDITED: Thinking about it now I can't remember if I had to remove the power amp screws (on each side in back) and slide the pre and power amps out as one and separate. In that case you need to unplug the reverb tank and take note of where that goes.

Pat Greenwood

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2020 11:39 am    

Scott Denniston wrote:
I think you got them all...When you say "open the top section" you do mean slide the chassis out the back I assume. As I recall that's what it does---slides out the back.

Yes. That’s right, Scott.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2020 8:15 am    

If my memory serves me correctly(always suspect these days)- it is the 4 screws on the top that through the straps act as the grounding for the amp and that frequently they need to be addressed to solve some of the problems that arise with the 500.