The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Logitech C920 riddle
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2020 1:34 pm    

Briefly, I haven't used my webcam for some months. It used to work just fine but now it has to be plugged in at the rear of my desktop instead of the front or the machine can't find it, and although it will take photos sometimes, it won't take video. My laptop has the same version of Windows and if I plug it into either socket on there it works just fine.

The camera is a Logitech C920. Both computers are running Win 10.0.19041
I've tried all the recommended fixes: resetting, scanning for hardware, uninstalling/installing, turning off anything that appears to be "protecting" it.

Has anyone else experienced this (and hopefully solved it)?

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2020 4:50 pm    

There are three possibilities I can think of:

The webcam USB cable may have an intermittent connection that only shows up when the cable is positioned a certain way such as when it's plugged into that specific USB port. I consider this the least likely possibility. The best way to find out is to wiggle the cable and feel the length of the cable for a bulge or hot spot.

The USB port that use to work but doesn't recognize the webcam now is dirty or physically damaged. Canned air is the best way to clean out a dirty USB port. There is not a really good way to test for physical damage without taking the computer to a repair shop.

Finally, the USB or device drive for that port may be corrupted. Here is a web site article that provides step-by-step instructions to address this issue. This is the most likely possibility.https://www.peterboweycomputerservices.com.au/remove-old-device-drivers-windows.html
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2020 2:56 am    

I went to the Logitech website looking for driver updates but all I could find was a revised Settings app which I downloaded. When I open it I see this

which is an actual moving picture. So a signal is getting into the computer from the camera ok. But when I open the Camera app I get this

despite the fact that it's clearly connected. Any ideas?
If I plug it into a less convenient port on the back, it will work; but it will only take photos, not video

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2020 4:35 am    

"Refresh" (as I call it) the device.
Plug it in and then go to the device manager and uninstall it but DO NOT uninstall any driver. Disconnect the webcam and restart the PC. After its started, plug it in and Windows should detect and reinstall it. See if this fixes it as this procedure fixes a lot of corrupted/flakey device problems.

To access the Device Manager, RIGHT click on the Windows start icon on the lower left of the screen and Device Manager will be one of the items listed.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2020 10:05 am    

Thanks, Jack. I've tried that but I'm in a situation where the computer can see the camera ok.

If I select the "photo" tab at the right of the screen on the Camera app, I see a perfect moving image - and I can take a still from it.

But when I select "video" the image freezes and won't record.
The camera's working but something's stopping the computer from recording video.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2020 10:43 am    

Post this on the tenforums. Some good experts on there.
www.tenforums.com

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2020 12:22 pm    

Thanks I will

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2020 12:46 pm    

Having established that the camera itself is working just fine, I gave up on trying to get the Windows Camera App to work and downloaded a capture program called Debut from NCH Software (whose other products I use) and it works just fine.

Don't know why I didn't do that before. Even the free version has more features than I need.

So now I can get back to work!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2020 1:56 pm    

Good to hear it got resolved.

The tenforums post was stalled (no responses) until I asked for help in the VIP forum section.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2020 3:04 pm    

Glad you're a VIP - thanks, Jack!

It never really got resolved - I just walked away and took a different route. It's worrying that a Windows app (camera in this case) which is only a small part of the software can go haywire and seemly not be fixed without major repairs.

And that Logitech produce a program that won't run! Anyway, I'm happy now. We're about to go into national lockdown here so it's important to have all technology in place.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2020 3:19 am    

Later versions of Win 10 are dropping support for some older hardware and software. Or in some cases the OS has changed the way it handles some things. It appears in this case that Logitech needs to update their application software to be fully compatible.

Its no different than Apple OS'. When they come out with a new or updated OS version for the MAC PC's, software and hardware vendors must make their products compatible with the new MAC OS. The compatibility issue is worse than Microsoft that still does some backward compatibility that Apple doesn't do.

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 20 Dec 2021 12:27 pm    

big daddy micro is going to make your live a living hell till you give up and get their top 10 $9 each a month apps.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2021 1:28 pm    

Are you running Logitech "Capture", the app that comes with the camera?

If so (you should be) check to see that the C920 is actually the selected input device.

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2021 5:00 pm    

Thanks, Howard. I sorted it out a year ago but Stuart has suddenly fastened on it.

As he points out, subscriptions seem to be the way forward. I would say fine for businesses but not so good for the little fellow.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2021 5:16 pm    

Very Happy Very Happy

The joke is on me!

h

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2021 1:14 am    

To be honest, I was puzzled for a moment. It's because it's been just over 12 months, so at first I didn't look at the year Smile

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 21 Dec 2021 11:25 pm    

Sorry I wasn't shooting for a got you! I just thought it a good place to unload one out of my Big Box of Rants Wink