The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Please help me find this Mullen Guitar!!
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2020 1:54 pm    

There’s a black D10 Mullen guitar that (for me) has “that” sound and sustain. If my memory is correct I had the pleasure of playing the axe at the Leon County Expo Center south of Buffalo, Texas on October 7, 2017.

I was sitting in that evening with Bobby Flores and the steelguitarist who played before us (with Claude Gray?) asked me if I’d like to save some time and use his guitar. As soon as I strummed it I was done. I started asking questions, and again if my memory is correct, he told me that the guitar had been a gift that his father purchased for him. Subsequently, he’d had Micky Adams work on it which included upgrading the necks to accommodate split-tuning. Naturally, I politely offered to purchase the guitar.

The whole time I played the set I was preoccupied with the guitar. It played like butter and rocked my senses. I started wondering about the metal parts, changer design, the steel end plates, wood, pup, torque of all of the fasteners, etc.

When we finished our set(and I failed to convince the owner to sell it to me) I headed for home....didn’t even stay to hear Restless Heart perform....LOL!! That guitar messed me up.

If anyone would help me identify the gentlemen who owns the guitar I’d appreciate it.

Thank you

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2020 8:02 am    

A Black Mullen D-10 RP with 8 and 7 is the one guitar I regret selling. Steel guitar or otherwise.

I had a chance to buy it back, but it was a a bit worse for wear.

someday I'll buy a Red G2...that's the ticket.

But seriously, good luck! The three or four Mullens I've played were all fantastic. I think they're all great.
The Mullen team is great too.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2020 10:34 am    

Ah, c'mon, it wasn't that beat up! And it's much healthier after intervention by Dr. Stafford.

And it is, indeed, a good'un.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2020 10:53 am    

Cool

Last edited by Ricky Davis on 19 Oct 2020 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 19 Oct 2020 12:40 pm    

Maybe the guitar belongs to Ronald Sikes?

Anyone have any info about him?

I don’t do Facebook so maybe that’s limiting me on this search.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Jeffery Mercer

Born in Portsmouth Oh. 12/10/1954
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2020 8:23 pm    

Here’s My 1995 Mullen Pre RP D-10 8X5
I love this Pedal Steel!
Respectfully,
Jeffery Mercer
Mentor, Ohio

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2020 8:50 pm    

Jeffery, that’s delicious!!!

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2020 6:30 am    

Marty, there is a Ron Sikes that is a steeler on FB. In his photos he is playing a Derby and a ShowPro.

Do you want me to try and contact him?

email me your contact info and I will give it to him

bferguson1947@gmail.com
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2020 6:50 am    

Ron Sikes was in Dallas Texas area. Corsicanna if I recall correctly. I sent him a message to see if he knows about this guitar. He's a member here also so I sent him a link to this thread.

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2020 7:27 am    

Hey everyone, I did reach out to Marty via email. However this wasn’t my guitar. I did own a black Mullen once , and I met Marty at a show here in Texas one time. I think he was putting the two together but this wasn’t mine. Mullen does build a fine guitar.
Marty , good luck in your search.

Best regards,
Ron
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 24 Oct 2020 7:29 am    

Hey Folks,
I really appreciate the help!! I exchanged emails with Ron Sikes and it wasn’t his guitar. I wish I’d wrote the name down.

Thanks again for the efforts!!!

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 24 Oct 2020 11:31 am    

I found the man and the axe!!

Mr. Al “Boo” Miller.....and the Mullen with “that” sound/sustain/timbre, etc... I love listening to Al’s playing and when I played that guitar every note sparkled. That’s a special guitar...IMHO.

Here’s a link to a prior discussion on Al’s playing and his own comments about his guitar:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=212735&sid=10b73e122660ef7196252aa81fbe574c

Wish there was a way to non-intrusively analyze the wooden body—-assuming that all of the other parts, pups, torques are the same on a sister guitar.

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 24 Oct 2020 12:41 pm    

For the record, I’ve owned approximately 50 guitars since I was 12 years old. It’s been my experience that there are several great builders making guitars. I’ve owned most of the brands available (and more than one of each)and played many of the ones I haven’t owned. It’s my observation that a person can’t make a mistake buying any new guitar available today, BUT occasionally any of those builders will produce a special one.

In my experience:
-I should NOT have sold my Sho-Bud D10 Professional that I purchased at twelve years old from JB Van. I should have had some levers added and kept it, but I graduated high school and thought I deserved a NEW guitar so I sold it. Wish I could find that one.

-I Wanted to buy the D10 Zum that Danny Cormier let me play at his shop, but I couldn’t afford it at the time.

-Laine Thibodeaux lost a special green lacquer Dekley in a club fire.

-I lost a special Derby due to a body crack caused by abusive handling.

So, to me, there are special guitars out there and I intend to buy one(or more) upon location of said guitars. Maybe when I retire I’ll travel around playing various guitars via my own signal chain. I’d have to pause occasionally and do some things on my wife’s list, but I think I can make it work. 😜😜

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2020 4:18 am    

Marty Broussard wrote:
Maybe the guitar belongs to Ronald Sikes?

Anyone have any info about him?

I don’t do Facebook so maybe that’s limiting me on this search.

Marty
I see that’s Boo’s D10 Mullen! I can very well see him offering to let you play it to save time, he’s just one of the nicest guys you’d ever meet.
I can definitely see no dice with him selling it. It’s got that sound for sure. And plays like a dream.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 25 Oct 2020 6:03 am    

Patrick,
I know it’s wishful thinking, but I have to try!....lol

Take care,

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2020 8:39 am    

Marty Broussard wrote:
Patrick,
I know it’s wishful thinking, but I have to try!....lol

Take care,

Marty,
I understand completely. I’m still trying to get Justin Griffin to let me provide a nice home for that wrap around Emmons of his but no joy.
And I have that custom 1995 lacquer pre RP Del built for Junior Knight....OMG it’s got “that SOUND” just weeping from its pores! And Mickey has overhauled it twice since it was new and the action is absolutely PHENOMENAL...I play it in socks. Junior has owned it n sold it , bought it back, sold it again two or three times n kicked himself every time he sold it...he reminds me every time we talk about how I NEED TO sell him that guitar I’m a low down smelly mortician that don’t use deodorant n got bad BO cause I won’t sell him “HIS GUITAR “ back 😂😂😂 Junior is my guitar hero. I remember when he first got that guitar And when it came up for sale I jumped on it to me it’s like owning Stevie Ray’s strat. If very you are around East Texas or Central Texas you need to come take it for a spin.
Stay safe, sir!
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2020 11:33 am     Rittenberry

Hey Marty, I have 2 Rittenberry guitars if you want to try one. I also have Gary building me a D10 Laquer. Joe Rogers should be getting his new guitar very soon and I’m pretty sure Joe would let you drive it!

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 30 Oct 2020 8:03 am    

@Patrick, the next time we’re around your area ya have to let me take it for a spin. Lol

@Dale, I’ll keep your offer in mind. I’ll try to make time to come over. Thanks for the offer!!