The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Milling the keyhead/neck/changer supports from one piece?
Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2020 10:29 pm    

I've heard a few people mention the idea, but has anyone ever done it?

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2020 9:06 am    

Dave,
I sent you a PM.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2020 9:59 am    

Hmmm...mysterious

I get the impression that builders have given up on cast endplates and cut them from the solid nowadays, now that we have CNC 'n' all.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2020 7:41 pm    

Aluminum tends to move with temperature changes, it would probably be hard to keep it in tune.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2020 1:35 am    

I seem to recall a Bigsby out there that Shot Jackson modified by cutting out the metal neck from the single casting and replacing it with a wooden one to try to improve tuning stability.

At least, that's the way I remember it!

Dave

Kelcey ONeil

Sevierville, TN
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2020 5:28 am    

If you’re referring to a one piece key/ neck/ changer mount unit, that’s essentially what Bigsby did. Great tone, but definite tuning issues due to temperature changes. Same idea with the Emmons bolt on push pulls: great tone, but somewhat finicky on the tuning with aluminum necks. Of course, the wooden neck push pulls used the same changer mounts without the tuning issue, because of the changer mounts not actually being part of the “neck”.

If you meant the individual components being milled from one piece rather then cast... who knows lol? The great tone machines of the past were all cast, but there are a few steels at least that are milled with no apparent drawbacks. Cross your fingers and pray lol?