The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Another "Zero pedal" copedent option
Mark McCornack

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2020 5:13 pm    

A little over a year ago, I bought myself a new S10-E9th guitar with 4 floor pedals. On this new guitar, I tried a few of the normal changes on my NEW Zero pedal (farthest to the left), but none of the regular changes really suited me there. The other day I came up with something that I find to be pretty interesting. At the very least, I think I may leave it this way for a while and see how useful it really is to me.

The change is dirt simple. Essentially, it replicates the standard (Emmons) B pedal's function, but raises ONLY the sixth string a half-step, leaving the third sting unchanged. What this gives me is a nice Major 7th chord with the Zero and adjacent A pedals depressed, and a nice 13th chord with the Zero pedal and Eb lever together. These are both very useful changes to me, and in the heart of the treble grip (strings 6 through 3).
The normal IV chord you get with A and B pedals is still there pressing Z and A, with the exception of the third string that holds that major 7th. The action on this pedal is also very light as it is only raising one string and only by 1/2 step.

Anyway, if you're into tinkering around with pedal steels and have been forgoing use the zero pedal due to disinterest or dissatisfaction, maybe this will be worth a try for you as well.
Idea

Marc Jenkins

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2020 9:46 pm    

Very interesting, thanks Mark!

Mark McCornack

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2020 10:16 pm    

In addition to (at zero fret) the AMaj7 and the B13, there is also a nice fat AMinMaj7 if you have a way to raise the 5th string up to C natural. I get this note in a split with the A pedal and a B natural to Bb lever drop. So, Zero pedal + A pedal + B to Bb lever gets you that nice minor-major 7th
If you really want to go over the top, you can even get a B13b9 Shocked
Engage the Zero pedal, A pedal, E_to_Eb knee lever, and B_to_Bb knee lever. ALL the strings on the guitar (except for the 9th string, D) are members of that chord.
Wink

Last edited by Mark McCornack on 30 Nov 2020 8:08 pm; edited 2 times in total

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2020 1:32 am    

It's no surprise to me that it's useful. On my uni I have a lever that raises 6 but not 3 - it's a standard C6 change and I recognise all the uses Mark describes.
I suspect he'll stick with it.

Nikolai Shveitser

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2020 11:39 am    

Do you raise your 1st string?

Mark McCornack

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2020 2:58 pm    

Hi Nikolai,
Not certain if your question was directed to me or Ian, but in my case, I leave the first string where it is.
In terms of chords at the zero fret (no bar), the high F# on the 1st string provides a solid Fifth interval to the B13th chord (it's missing in 6,5,4,3 grip). This interval is also there on string 7, but an octave lower for other inversions.
For the AMaj7 and the AMinMaj7, this first string provides a major Sixth. These are pretty handy scale members to have on hand with these chord forms, so I'm inclined to leave the 1st string alone.
I was curious though if you had something other specific in mind. I'm just messing around with this idea and am always open to hearing new ideas. Cool

Nikolai Shveitser

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2020 1:12 pm    

Yeah, I was just wondering because a lot of folks get those voicings by raising the 1st string to G#. I do love an easy pull though. Wink That B13 chord would require you to have A+B down and raise your 1st string so I see the appeal of your P0 in such a scenario. But, if you raise both string 1+2 on that change then that voicing is out of the question...