The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Setup and Tuning in the Cleveland Oh. Mentor Oh. Area. 44060
Jeffery Mercer

Born in Portsmouth Oh. 12/10/1954
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2020 4:48 am    

I’m hoping I have the correct topic for this post, if not Bob please put me in the correct venue.
At any rate, is there ANYONE in the Northeast Ohio area, mainly Mentor Ohio, 44060 area, that can come and setup my new Pedal Steel for me? It’s a 1995 serial #2722 Mullen Pre RP that I recently purchased from a family in Michigan whose Grandpa recently passed away in April and had left it to the grandson whose name is Ryan, the gentleman had purchased it Brand New from Mullen and had set it up in his Immaculate music room where it sat and he played it 3-4 times a week I was told. They also revealed that he was quite the accomplished Steel player in his own right playing for the family was his express delight until his passing...so I have it now but would like to start fresh and have it set up by someone who is proficient in doing the setup and tuning...I will of course be happy to pay for this to be done ASAP, I’m a newbie looking forward to learning this Grand and wonderful instrument!
Please let me know if your close to me in Mentor Oh, 44060.
Thanks 🙏
Respectfully,
Jeffery Mercer

Last edited by Jeffery Mercer on 23 Sep 2020 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2020 7:27 am    

Put “Cleveland Area” or something like that in your topic, and put your post in the Pedal Steel section of the forum. Players are scarce in your neck of the woods. Hummingbird Music in Sugarcreek is mentioned in this thread as a psg dealer and tech:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=252571&sid=8525d841d8cb1f1866ed16f5b63d0d93
Not even close to Mentor, but may be worth the day trip.

I miss OH this time of year...

Kevin Swan

Medina, Ohio
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2020 4:18 am     North-east Ohio pedal steel

I'm not that far away, Medina County, and if ALL you're looking for is a bare-bones assembly and tuning, I can help with that. If you need adjustments, like knee and floor changes, here are two suggestions:

I took my Sierra 14 to Hummingbird in Sugar Creek and Rick Troyer and his crew got it all adjusted and cleaned and fine-tuned for me. Half of his shop is filled with steels and other instruments for sale, and a side room is sort of a little steel guitar museum. It's worth the trip just to see that. http://hummingbirdmusicstudio.com/repairs.php

Another guy up our way I've met is Mike DiAlesandro who runs an on-line pedal steel shop https://www.steelguitarsohio.com/ and also plays in a band called the Flat Earth Ramblers. Not sure if he actually works on other people's instruments, but he sure can re-build and restore the ones he sells. Both Mike and Rick are solid guys. They are both Forum members, too.

If what you're looking for is someone to come to YOUR place, I think that's a real long shot and one that if it were to happen might also add quite a bit of cost. My experience with Hummingbird was good overall but did entail TWO round-trips one to drop off and one to pick up, over a couple week time period. Let me know how it goes. There was a long-running thread about folks in Ohio playing pedal steel that ended up somewhere north of 100 players, as well as quite a few who started in Ohio but ended up in Nashville or other hot-beds of recording. I'd enjoy seeing that fine steel of yours some day, too. Cheers!