The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My new project Amp
Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2020 5:52 pm    

I bought this Carvin BX500 amp from Jack Stoner a couple years ago, and just got around to putting everything together. I had a Nashville 400 cabinet which I modified in order to install the 500, changing the grill cloth, etc. I was thinking about trying a Weber 15 or a Emminence 15C, so I called Ken Fox for input. He just happened to have a JBL NEO 15 and suggested I try it. Wow It sounds fantastic! Ken also suggested that I close the back of the amp, because with that much power, the speaker could be blown! So, I finished that yesterday, hooked everything together, and tried it out with my Carter S-10, and my Gretch, and I am blown away with the tone with each guitar. Take a close look at all the settings available with both a parametric EQ, and Graphic EG, Plus several other options.

Carvin Co is no longer producing electronic products, altho they still produce an excellent line of guitars. So these amps will be hard to find, however, if you find one, a good amp tech, Like Ken Fox could service them if ever needed. I'm sending some pic's of my very handsome, dual purpose amp.
Notice there are no effects in this amp (there is a 12ax7 tube) but I found this TC Electronics analog delay at Guitar Center for $60 bucks, and it is the sweetest sounding delay I heard in many years, especially at this price. FWIW enjoy, I know I will!

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2020 5:53 pm    

I forgot to mention, it only weighs 38 1/2 lbs!!!!!

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2020 5:57 pm    

Thats not my Gretsch in the pics, but my custom made Wallace . Check out Wallace Guitars, Niota, Tn. David Wallace

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2020 7:24 pm    

Lonnie that is a great looking rig. And man, what a speaker. Gotta sound as cool as it looks.

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2020 4:47 am    

I love Carvin gear. Great looking setup Lonnie !

Tony Edwards

Six Mile, South Carolina
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2020 5:47 am     Carvin amp

Wow! Way to go, Lonnie! I know it has to sound good.
CLR Custom SD10 Pedal Steel; Telonics 500-B Combo w/ TT 15"; Hilton Low Profile VP; Telonics X-10 Pup; Frenchy's Steel Mill Strings; George L's Cables; BJS Tone Bar; Hoffmeyer Picks. This combination produces a Heavenly tone! Psalm 33:2 "Praise the Lord with...an instrument of ten strings."
"Listen and silent are spelled with the same letters!"

John LeMaster

North Florida
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2020 10:04 am     New combo amp

Looks great, and I can hardly wait to hear it. Didn't realize that the Carvin also has a 12AX7 tube. Preamp, I presume?

I also like the look of your new prototype amp stand.
☺