The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help me identify this Session 400
William Carter

Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2020 6:18 am    

I just bought this amp online thinking it might be one of the really good Session 400's that everybody talks about. The serial number is 5A-662-62. I have seen on the forum where some people are saying only the serial numbers starting with 4A are the original ones. Any help appreciated.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2020 6:36 am    

4A would be a 1974 which is the first year of Session 400 manufacture. 5A is 1975, but looks like early 1975 because of the smooth rounded knobs. I bought a new Session 400 in 1974 and still have it. I still have the lifetime warranty card (good for parts only). Yours is still a keeper. Good find.
Does it still have the JBL? If it has been replaced with a 1501 or 1502, it would probably sound good and hold up well with your keyboard also.
I fried 2 jbl's before the BW was introduced. Also, the amp could optionally be purchased with two 12". I think Electro-Voice? I don't know of anyone that opted for the two 12's.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

William Carter

Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2020 6:48 am    

The JBL has been replaced with the Black Widow. So I'm assuming what I have here is an amp that was made in 1975, but still made by the original 1974 specs before anything got changed. Would that be accurate?

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2020 6:51 am    

Side note: In 1974 the amp sold new for $400.00 with the JBL. The two 12's were more expensive. At the time, I thought $400 came to $1.00 per watt. lol Not the case anymore.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2020 6:58 am    

Could be? The only way to be sure is to have a good amp tech check the power output. The original 4A put out an honest 200w. Soon after, 160w. A local tech, Dennis Kleitch (sp) A/B'd a 6A against my 4A and showed the 200w/160w difference. It could be that Peavey lowered the wattage to spare the JBL's? Many were blown in the early years before the 1501. When the Nashville 400's came out they used the 1502 bass speaker to alleviate speaker replacing.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2020 7:04 am    

Fine amp, provided everything is in good working condition. I hate to see these old Session amps where someone has robbed the original Made for Peavey JBL K130's, but as mentiioned earlier, it may have just failed.

At any rate, the 1501 is actually a more reliable speaker and I seem to prefer them in the Peavey steel amps personally.

Best of luck with it.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2020 7:08 am    

I asked Buddy Emmons if he heard any difference between the 4A and those afterwards. He said, the early 400's had a fatter tone and he wished he still had the amp. I'm not sure what year of 400 that he used on the "Live At The Convention" double LP? It was recorded in 1977. I do know that he used a Furman PQ-3 with the 400 to record it. I asked him what he used the Furman for? He said, to control the lower mids. I'm assuming there was a notch in the frequency that he either added or lowered to get where he wanted to be.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2020 7:12 am    

Actually, the original JBL was the gray framed D-130F and well below the output of the Session. I blew it and Peavey replaced it with a black framed K-130. I eventually blew it and Peavey replaced it with the new 1501.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2020 7:27 am    

I have two of the silver knob Session 400s. One in Portland and one in San Diego. One has JBL in it. I think it says M31, I will check. I have an old Spider-Web backed BW in the other.
You can use a separate speaker cab if you want to get the weight down.
I like to use a Steel Guitar Black Box in conjunction with these amps to add a Tube to signal path.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2020 8:18 am    

Two general maintenance items: Notoriously, these amps would intermittently drop power and them come back up. Sometimes crackle and cut out. A fist rap on the top of the amp would bring it back to life. Usually the problem was the molex connections between the pre and power amp boards would get loose and need cleaning or sometimes crimped a little more to make connection. The other problem was the power transistor pins on the back would create the same symptoms and need similar attention.

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2020 10:36 am    

I have an 8A with spider web 1501. One of the better amps I own. The audible difference to me is when the 400 went to IC's rather than discrete in the early 80s. I think Peavey renamed it the Session 400 Limited at that point.

William Carter

Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2020 11:38 am    

Is this the correct speaker for this amp (post JBL of course)? I see people talking about 1501, etc., but I don't see a similar number on here.

It doesn't have the silver center like my other BW speakers. It's completely black.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2020 1:30 pm    

All 1501s had an aluminum dust cap. Your magnet is from a way later era than your amp. The number on the magnet is just a production number. Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like a DT [deep throw] basket with the square spokes. It could be any number of Black Widow models.

The only way to ID your speaker is by the tag by the speaker terminals:

It's hard to see mounted in the amp. A flexible mirror might get you a good look.

William Carter

Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2020 4:53 pm    

Will any black widow be just as good or should I have it replaced with a particular model to match this amp?

William Carter

Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2020 5:33 pm    

I found the label and it currently has a 1502DT - 4ohm.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2020 6:55 pm    

Not bad. 1502 DT was a Kevlar treated bass speaker from the late 80s, early 90s. Different still from the earlier 1502s that were used in some of the early to mid 80s Peavey steel amps.

Frequency response more toward the low end, still a workable speaker for steel. Some players like it better than the 1501 of the same era.

It's an acceptable speaker and if sounds good to you, that's all that matters. If you're one that likes everything to be in original configuration, I get that too.

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2020 1:19 am    

I have Reese Anderson's Session 400. He said he thought it was #5. He was pretty sure Curly Chalker got 1&2. Phil Baugh 3&4. Him 5. It's serial number 35 2154.

For Buddy Live at the ISGC I believe he used two Peavey LTD's. (I heard he ran into the first input and out of the second input to the first input on the second amp.)

www.BuddyEmmons.com

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2020 4:50 am    

I was there during the Live At The Convention recording. For sure he used the Furman PQ-3. I had to walk up to the stage to see what it was. It was the red knob model. Later, I asked him how he used it. From my recollection, he was playing through a single standard Session 400. I may have a snapshot of him on stage. I'll have to see if I can dig it up. He said, he used the PQ-3 to dial in the lower mids.

Last edited by Dennis Detweiler on 23 Sep 2020 5:15 am; edited 3 times in total

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2020 4:55 am    

The serial number on my 1974 Session is: 15-764. I bought it from the local Peavey dealer. I made a few purchases and had repair work done on my Fender Super Six prior to purchasing the Session 400. The dealer introduced me to the brochure that he had on the new Peavey steel amp which he didn't have in stock yet. I ordered it. The store ordered another 1-15 and a 2-12 to have in stock. I remember lifting the Session 400 with the 2-12 EV speakers. Too heavy. The Session that I purchased must be an early manufactured amp since the serial number is short. Plus, it came with the gray basket JBL D130F. Soon after came the black basket JBL with Peavey logo on the magnet. Then, the BW.

William Carter

Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2020 5:50 am    

So what speaker should I try to find for this amp? I have read everything I can find about the kevlar ones, and I have the feeling that my speaker might be substandard for this amp.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2020 6:44 am    

I would not say your speaker is sub-standard at all. It's a very workable compatible and efficient speaker for your amp. Peavey decided that the Kevlar impregnated cone might not be the best for steel guitar application, so they stopped using it for 1203 and 1501 steel guitar applications in the late 90s/early 00s. However, many players seem to get on just fine with them.

But if you want a period correct speaker:
Correct factory speaker for the era is the Made for Peavey JBL which was a model #K130. Smooth paper cone with aluminum dust cap.

Some folks say the very early ones had a D130, which I've never seen in them, however the D would definitely not handle the 200 watts of power.

The Peavey model of Black Widow for this amp is the Black Widow Spider Web 1501-4 with the smooth cone and alum cap or possibly the ribbed cone 1502-4.

Use caution sourcing either of these as many JBL's have been re-coned and may not have the original specs.

Peavey Spider Web speakers were discontinued years ago and the later baskets would not mate with the spider web magnets, so cannot be re-basketed except for units of the same era.

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2020 9:11 am    

Yes, please Dennis! I forget who told me that. My first convention was the following year.

In fact, if anybody has pictures from the 77 convention, please feel free to send me copies...

The Reese Session has a gray JBL. It's packed away. So this is the only speaker picture I have.

www.BuddyEmmons.com

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2020 9:15 am    

I defer to Dennis and Ernie considering the grey frame D130F. However, I'd be very concerned using this speaker now in the powerful Session 400 amp at any volume.

P.S. I think you would find any of the late 90s, through final production into the 21st century 1501-SB-4 drivers quite pleasing in this amp.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2020 11:46 am    

I blew the original D130F soon after I bought the amp. Peavey replaced it with the black framed jbl. After a few years I blew that one also. We weren't a loud band, so it wasn't abused. The 3rd speaker was the 1501 and I had it for several years until the black foam rubber filter behind the coil deteriorated, crumbled, melted and froze up the speaker.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2020 11:57 am    

The 1502 was used in the early Nashville 400's and seemed to sound good. Maybe the sparkle in the high end was missing? I never played through an early Nashville. Several years ago, I bought a NOS 1501 with the flat magnet and spider logo from a music store in Illinois. Can't remember which store? Maybe Corson Music? I have a spare used 1501 that is probably 1980's in a box in my music room that I would part with. I think it's a shallow basket? I have way too much
older gear and need to get rid of most of it. I'm into neo speakers to ease my old deteriorated back.