The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Sho-Bud project
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2020 5:30 am    

They say beauty is only skin deep but that guitar needs help clean to the bone.
I wish you lots of luck! Very Happy
Erv

Tyler Button

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2021 11:34 am    

So I'm sure its common for people to join the forum, get excited, and drop off quickly. But I wanted to come in and assure you I did not abandon a thing.

As I was elbow deep in this, some actual work dropped in my lap and I've been pressed to find the hours to be able to spend in the garage. I am 100% planning on getting this thing completed at some point.

However over the last little bit I've been playing about on my fully functional Marrs. Had a lever slip and it was about at this point that I realized that maintaining these instruments is an incredibly active endeavor and not that unlike working on classic cars with the tuning of carbs with the change of seasons and upkeep of wearable rubber and such.

The positive part is at no point was my life ever in danger from the use of sub-par harbor-freight jack stands.

[img][/img][img]

Also over the last little bit I rescued this beautiful girl for what I thought was a near steal on eBay. Returned her here to her birthplace of Phoenix and cleaned her up a bit. Underside needs a bit of work but for now she sings absolutely beautifully. Absolutely wonderful tone.

Lastly..I have recently caved and bought one of these and I am so angry at my past self for not getting one of these sooner.

So that's my non-update update. [/img]

Loren Morehouse

Meadowlands, MN USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2021 2:28 pm    

What's the best procedure to get that white oxidization off the wood?

John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2021 11:00 pm    

No warranties but Oxalic Acid can restore weathered wood. Hardware stores sell it and you can buy pre diluted with the purpose to bring back timber desks, but you would end up with too much stuff.

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2021 5:22 am     NOS Sho~Bud Parts

Ian is absolutely correct regarding the guy in Georgia with nos Sho~Bud parts. About 6 months ago, I contacted him, asked if he had any parts for a “stand alone”, Sho~Bud volume pedal. I couldn’t believe it, he emailed back that he could get a complete nos volume pedal and here it is. I removed the bottom plate to inspect the pot. It has an Allen Bradley pot and what looks to be Switchcraft jacks. However, I look to Michael Yahl as my source for all brackets, pedal connectors, bell cranks, etc. Michael’s parts are high quality and his service is first class.

Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2021 6:58 am    

When it comes time, you can probably find another dust catcher fret board her on the forum or from one of your suppliers. If you don't specifically want a dust catcher fret board, you can buy a brand new, vinyl, Sho-Bud fret board from Tom Bradshaw at:

https://www.songwriter.com/bradshaw/fretboards.php

These are very nice fret boards.

For polishing - I've used Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish, which you can get at an auto parts store, or at Walmart. Great stuff. Also, buy some micro-fiber polishing cloths, which you can get in the car polish section at Walmart or other stores. I've even used old tube socks, pieces of old bed sheets, etc. Earlier this year I restored an old BMI, and I could see myself in the aluminum finish when I finished it up. If needed, use 1000 grit wet/dry sandpapaer with light oil, followed with 2000 grit wet/dry and light oil. After that, break out your can of Mothers and the cloth, and have at it.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2021 7:44 pm    

From the pictures, With most damage done on the front of the guitar to the end plates, wood and mechanics. I would guess the guitar was set down in its case, On a sidewalk, basement floor or garage and some way water contaminated with salt, lime or calcium chloride got in the case and went undetected for a few days.

My steel playing friend brought his guitar in from a gig one night and set it in his studio. It snowed and then rain on the snow that night. Water came into the studio The Sho-Bud he was playing had to have the front apron and front neck area refinished from water damage.