The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Opening a Goodrich L120?
D. Scheindlin

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2020 7:40 am    

I’d like to perform the tuner out mod on my L120, per the sticky at the top of this forum. But when I removed the back plate I see that the openings in the housing don’t really give me enough room to get in there to the jacks. Is there a reasonable way to remove the top/pedal from the bottom housing? Or am I just asking for trouble doing that?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2020 7:47 am    

Yeah, some trouble. The biggest being re-connecting the spring. Otherwise, the pivot shaft that holds the 2 parts together has a set screw. Loosen that and push out the shaft after the spring has been disconnected.

Putting the spring back on can be tedious and frustrating. You may be able to connect the spring first then wrangle the 2 parts to re-insert the pivot shaft, I've forgotten.

I've not done this mod yet, but it may be possible to work all the parts without disassembly. I dunno, I defer to the more experienced.

D. Scheindlin

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2020 7:50 am    

Thanks Jerry. I wish I saw a way to do it without disassembly but I don’t. Maybe others have somehow managed. I think the older Goodrich pedals had a bigger opening that exposed the jacks. There’s a switch box that keeps it all external but I’d really like to avoid going that route. There’s also the option of putting a resistor in the plug housing for the tuner but the mod on the tuner would be the ideal way to go.

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2020 9:39 am    

I took mine apart... faster and easier. Mine all have adjustable springs, but a friend of mine has a Goodrich that has a non-adjustable spring. I'd never seen that, but, use needle nose pliers to reconnect..might have to try a few times, but..
The adjustable spring type that I have was easy. Just loosen the tension, hook it up, and readjust.

D. Scheindlin

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2020 9:43 am    

Great, I think I’ll give it a go this afternoon. Thx

D. Scheindlin

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2020 1:34 pm    

Thanks guys, that was helpful. The whole thing is a bit tedious. Mine does not have an adjustable spring, per se. I ended up unscrewing the spring retainer from the chassis / much easier than than trying to pull the spring off. not too bad outside of that. The string came unwrapped, but Goodrich has a video on restringing and it is thankfully very easy to do - 10x easier than the old Ernie Ball volume pedal I had been using before this.