Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  One or many lap steels?
Ryan Lunenfeld

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2020 11:03 am    

Question for you all...

One or many lap steels?

Do you have one electric you love to death and use consistently, or multiple?

I ask because I recently started playing, but got the bug after researching, picked up 2 hawaiians, a 185 and an a22.

I love the a22, it's my go to. Not quite using the Hawaiians that much anymore because of this, and the 185 provides a different tonality I can't quite get with the a22.

Not sure having 4 electrics is overkill? I was thinking consolidating, and keeping the a22 around and trying to sell the other 3 to pick up a non electrified lap.

How do you all feel on this?

I don't really want to be a collector, and rather a practice, practice, enjoy, and play.

Nothing wrong with being a collector it keeps some of our greats in shape!

In addition to being a relatively new player, is it better to focus on one instrument and learn all it's intricacies before trying to use multiple?

Sorry for a possible super newb question! I'd appreciate any input!

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2020 11:09 am    

I currently own four single necks, two double necks, one triple neck and 3 dobros. They all get played. So, more . Consider this. We can’t walk into a store and play a bunch of lap steels. So the only way to see what is out there is too play a bunch of them and sell the ones you don’t like

Ryan Lunenfeld

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2020 11:13 am    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
I currently own four single necks, two double necks, one triple neck and 3 dobros. They all get played. So, more . Consider this. We can’t walk into a store and play a bunch of lap steels. So the only way to see what is our there is too play a bunch of them and sell the ones you don’t like

That's my thoughts exactly when I picked these fine instruments up. I went to the local guitar shop around Denver, and more often than not I get a weird face from the shop employees when I ask about lap steels... Laughing

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2020 11:14 am    

How many guitars does one person need? Just one more.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2020 11:18 am    

I try to justify each instrument with a reason. I have 3:
  1. A lightweight 6-string lap for jams in my preferred tuning.

2. A separate 6-string lap tuned standard C6th for teaching.

3. A heavy 8-string stand-up for recording or gigs in my preferred tuning

Greg Forsyth

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2020 11:24 am    

Having numerous lap steels means you can have them tuned to several tunings, and play songs that are in those tunings. Also guitars sound different from each other and can shine in a tuning where others tuned to that tuning are dull.

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2020 12:12 pm    

I have had 9 steel guitars and I loved each one of them because of the variations in tone. Each steel guitar with a different tone made it more interesting. I was never a one steel guitar man.

Last year, I sold 7 of these vintage steel guitars because of my aging and because my wife did not want to have them as a legacy. Laughing

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2020 12:52 pm    

Rick Barnhart wrote:
Just one more.

Laughing
As long as they all get played!!

Ryan Lunenfeld

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2020 1:12 pm    

Makes sense!

I was going to consolidate...but I think you all convinced me to keep em! Iv'e had a hard time thinking about letting them go...talk about quick attachment!

Joe Elk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2020 1:35 pm    

I totally with Rick Just one More!!!!!!
Joe Elk

Frank James Pracher

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2020 3:03 pm    

I have around 20 lap steels, so that puts me firmly in the collector category... I certainly don't need that many, I just enjoying have a variety to play. They all have different qualities.
Some people are totally happy with one or two instruments... I've always envied those people.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2020 4:27 pm    

I've bought and sold many over the years, but I currently have two 6-string lap steels, one 8-string, one D-8, and one pedal steel guitar.

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2020 8:41 pm    

I just added 2 new 8 string Adams resonators to my herd. Now I have 4 resonators, 1 Gold Tone Weissenborn, a 10 string lap for practicing on the bus, and a Marrs "Cat Can".

They all have a purpose----to enjoy. Very Happy

(I don't own golf clubs or fishing rods/boats so my wife gives me a pass.)

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2020 12:08 am    

You may wish you had a boat soon. I hope you ride out the storm and stay safe!

Jim Graham

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2020 3:01 am    

I've got five now, 3 of which are in different tunings. I tell myself I won't buy anymore until I know my way around all three tunings.....

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2020 3:41 am    

Lap steels are like Lay's potato chips; you can't have just one.

Most of mine are rescues (purchased as carcasses or basket cases and brought back into playing condition). Often times I have more $$$ into 'em than I could possibly expect to recoup on a sale, so I just end up keeping 'em. Here are a couple of recent examples:

Greg Forsyth

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2020 8:44 am    

Hi Jack,
I recognize one as a Gibson. What brand is your other lap steel?

Last edited by Greg Forsyth on 24 Aug 2020 8:49 am; edited 2 times in total

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2020 8:45 am    

I have two resonators, two 13 string lapsteels, A few more in various stages of construction and I have a little 6 string I bought it Hawaii at my wife's urging... I have to keep that one!

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2020 8:55 am    

“ Often times I have more $$$ into 'em than I could possibly expect to recoup on a sale‘

Think of it this way, it is the same with a car. But a lot more fun. And every instrument has its unique characteristics. It isn’t one size hits all. I play the Alkire tuning. Some steels sound great with that tuning, some don’t. Considering the simple multitude of options: tuning, strings, scale length, pickup, body type and material... and considering the relative low cost especially if you sell it, but even if you don’t : it is a crime not to have more than one. You can’t really begin to know the differences and capabilities until you’ve played a lot of them. Over the last 20 years, I have bought and sold more than 50. Cheapest and most beloved joy on the planet. There is no other thing that will give you more joy at such a cheap cost. I have put money in to guitars and then flipped them at a loss just for the joy of restoring an instrument for the next guy.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2020 9:26 am    

Greg Forsyth wrote:
Hi Jack,
I recognize one as a Gibson. What brand is your other lap steel?

They're both Gibsons. The one on top is an early model BR-9 that appears to have originally been fitted with the wide-oval/racetrack pickup. The other is a '54 Ultratone that I converted from a 6-string to a 7-string. Neither are museum pieces, but both of 'em play and sound just great.

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2020 3:55 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
I've bought and sold many over the years, but I currently have two 6-string lap steels, one 8-string, one D-8, and one pedal steel guitar.

Doug, what brands are your steels? You sure do make 'em sound good!

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2020 6:42 am    

I can -kinda- justify all of mine. I do know its a bit excessive.

My main guitar is a Clinesmith 8 string frypan. Beautiful guitar. Serial no 24.

Then I have two consoles...a Magnatone D8, which is sort of my secondary guitar (used to be primary), handy for gigs when I want to play B11 songs without a retuning interval. My first proper steel guitar (Stringmaster T8 ) also, and if I were being unsentimental I'd sell it off, as I prefer the tone on the Mag, but I'd have a hard time turning loose of it.

I also bought a S8 SX beater guitar. Really handy for just laying around the downstairs, or for travel. Basically a practice guitar but with a replaced Alumitone pickup, it sounds pretty darn good.

Then I have two acoustics...a Republic tricone tuned in C6 for Barney Isaacs style Hawaiian and a Regal squareneck dobro I bought to try my hand at that style in open G.

Oh, can't forget the Fender 400...sort of intended for me to someday properly learn how to play pedal with Basil Henriques A7 copedent.

Yeah, that's probably too many. I'd say I definitely "have enough" now, but as a student of Hindustani classical music, the various slide based veenas are interesting to me too. I may have to shift some unused guitars just to have space...

Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2020 6:48 am    

I only have three now - I returned the 8 string Emmons my friend sold me years ago for $50 -- he had zero steels, and that seemed like a crime against nature.

I still have three 6-strings: a Melobar LS, which is my experimenting platform, a 1964 Supro Jet Airliner with legs (amazing tone and great for when my shoulders are bothering me), and my blue StrapSteel, which is my main performing steel. They all sound different, which is a good thing.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@splinterville6278/videos

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2020 9:51 am    

This thread could be about any instrument, not just lap steels. Few serious musicians seem to have less than three of anything.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2020 10:18 am    

Ian Rae wrote:
Few serious musicians seem to have less than three of anything.

This is why I didn't become a pipe organist! Where are you gonna fit three of those? Smile