The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  will my 2011 BIAB hard drive work with new 64 bit computer?
Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2020 8:33 pm    

I don't want to screw anything up. Will that work?

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2020 7:50 am     Yes

It should. The installation isn't any different for a 32 bit or 64 bit operating system.

Unlike most programs, Band-in-a-Box and RealBand do not modify the Windows registry file during installation so Windows is not even aware the programs exist.

One step you can take to minimize the possibility is before you run the installer program, right click on the installer file name to open a sub-menu. At the bottom of the sub-menu select "Properties". When the "Properties" dialog opens, select the tab labeled "Compatibility". Check the "Run As Administrator" check box and select the "Change Settings For All Users" button and select the "Run This Program As Administrator" button again. You can also enable the program to run under an earlier operating system but I've haven't needed to select an earlier operating system with Windows 10. Windows 10 has turned into a pretty robust operating system.

The installation file should default to installing Band-in-a-Box to the "bb" folder and RealBand to the "Realband" folder just like they always have.

If you have any additional questions, ask. 😌
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2020 7:16 pm    

Thanks Jim! I'll give it a shot after my coffee in the morning. I can still run the BIAB drive on my last computer that has otherwise died, and don't want to damage it or my screaming new computer...but it would be great if they would shake hands! I have a killer DAW that I'd like to flesh out arrangements using BIAB.

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2020 10:00 am    

Rick,

What daw do you use to flesh out your arrangements? There's a bunch of great daws available now days. This is a wonderful time for people interested in music production. Powerful computers, great daws, nice sounding virtual instruments are all available for little to no cost.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2020 4:25 pm    

Hi Jim...I just got Mixcraft Pro 9 and digging all the things you mentioned. I used to be familiar with Logic back in the day when it was also on PC. Then when they went MAC I was SOL. I've heard the buzz is that Mixcraft is likened to Logic for PC. I just got BIAB up and running, but it's a little wonky. I'll PM you tomorrow.
Thanks!