The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Splits on the Emmons Push Pull
Kelcey ONeil

Sevierville, TN
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2020 6:54 am    

Hello all,
I’m just a young squirt( only 2Cool, and am an aspiring steel mechanic, and a much less aspiring player unfortunately! The Push Pull for whatever reason has comprised the majority of my work so far, and I’ve taken a particular liking to it for several reasons. While I personally have no complaints with it( and no one does with the tone), it’s seems that there is a general consensus that it is largely limited, and in some folks opinion, nearly obsolete. While there are many things that can be done to amend some of its quirks, it seems the lack of tunable splits is the biggest turnoff to most folks today. I’ve successfully installed some splits that tune from under the guitar, but no such luck as yet on anything that tunes from the endplate. That being said, if splits were available like what modern guitars have, is the old girl still a contender in the future?

Btw, here is a link to my page where I’ve documented a few things done by request to make a few things more user friendly. Any feedback appreciated!

https://www.facebook.com/Southern-Steel-Service-113470060288572/

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2020 7:11 am    

Interesting, Kelcey..
Does the long spring on the B pedal increase the travel for the raise significantly?

Kelcey ONeil

Sevierville, TN
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2020 7:19 am    

Jack Stanton:

It does not. That is a GS10 student model which has very short changer fingers and therefore pretty stiff leverages. A regular E9 changer wouldn’t require quite that much spring. It’s there to allow for room for the pull rod to compress the spring when it is pushed the other way for the split. We did some other neat things on that guitar, kind of meant to make the ultimate PP fly guitar with all the features, even if it is butt ugly lol!

Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2020 10:43 am     D10

Tommy Cass did this one...

Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2020 10:44 am     D10

Tommy Cass did this one...

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2020 11:11 am    

That’s how I do my split on 6th string. By utilizing A pedal to bring back 6th half tone. Works very well and doesn’t affect anything until you lower 6th.
Some great ideas you have Kelcey.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2020 12:16 pm    

This got me thinking way back to 2008, when I posted some diagrams of my ideas on this thread:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=136023

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2020 6:13 am    

I purchased my first push/pull from Clem Schmitz in Minneapolis in 1977 (a '73 rosewood 'mica fatback cut-tail D-10 that I still have). I had never even heard the term "splits" until joining this Forum. Ignorance is bliss, as I seem to have gotten by for 40-something years without 'em. What am I missing?

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2020 11:48 am    

A handy split I find - combine a full step raise on the B string, ie pedal 1, with a half step lower on the same string by some other mechanism, usually a knee lever. This gives you a C. This is easily done a an all pull and can be tuned at the end plate. There are others.

Kelcey ONeil

Sevierville, TN
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2020 7:17 am    

Thanks for the feedback! I guess another way of phrasing my question is the lack of split tuning a make or break feature when considering a push pull( or any guitar)? If so, which splits are considers essential, and what other copedent/ tuning limitations are considered a deal breaker?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2020 7:44 am    

I don't think splits make or break a PP. Most equate the PP with the tone.

I had a 71 D-10 PP bought new (Black of course). I had two "feel stops", one on the 2nd string lower and the other on the 6th string lower. I got used to the feel stops and never knew or thought about splits back then.

In Oct 82 I ordered a new Franklin D-10 and as I was unaware of splits I ordered it with feel stops for the 2nd and 6th string, just like the Emmons set up. About 5 years after I got the Franklin I found out about splits and had them put on the 5th and 6th string lowers.