The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  do raises override lowers on a P/P?
Marc Stone

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2020 3:33 pm    

writing out a copedant for this 8 string p/p. I remember there is a formula for when you combine raise and lower on the same string w a p/p. Plz refresh me?
If I half whole step raise and half step lower on the same string at the same time, what's my result?
Thx

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2020 3:46 pm     pp question?

marc, if you use a pedal or knee lever to raise any string, as long as they are engaged you cannot lower the string. but if you lower the same strings and then use the raise knee or pedal it will raise while the lower is still engaged....thanks jack

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2020 3:46 pm    

Raises take precedence.

Marc Stone

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2020 3:57 pm    

thx.
so if I engage a lower and raise simultaneously, or raise first, the lower will not affect the tuning of the raise?

And if engage let's say a D to E whole step raise with a pedal after lowering that same D to C# with a knee, what's the result? Full raise to E? BC p/ps don't split, correct?
Will that raise still be in tune?

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2020 7:50 pm    

Marc Stone wrote:
...if I engage a lower and raise simultaneously, or raise first, the lower will not affect the tuning of the raise?
Correct

Marc Stone wrote:
...engage ... D to E whole step raise ... after lowering that same D to C# with a knee, what's the result?
if you raise to E you always have an E, regardless of what else is going on with other pedals and levers (exception being a change that raised that string even further). Yes it will be in tune, though cabinet drop drop can affect this a little. That has nothing to do with the PP mechanism though.

Engaging a raise renders anything that happens with the lowering finger on that string meaningless, period. Push-pulls are tuned by way of hard stops, engaging a lower while a raise is engaged will have no effect on tuning.

Read through the sticky about tuning a PP at the top of this forum section, there are some animated diagrams toward the bottom of the 2nd page that illustrate the how and why. The way a push-pull works is extremely simple, they just require a little patience to set up and fine tune.

There is an exception that some folks do, a workaround to simulate a split, it's fairly simple, but that's a whole 'nother topic.

Marc Stone

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2020 8:36 pm    

Thx Ian

What’s the method for effectively getting a split?

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2020 2:07 am    

As Ian says, new topic. May I suggest a forum search?