The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Those of you who are using keyboard stands for lapsteel....
Christopher Blood

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2020 10:22 am    

What model did you buy and did you have to modify it?
I'd like to be able to play standing or sitting, Do you consider it to be stable? I'm 6ft. tall by the way so it has to come up to at least belt high when I'm standing.
I'm also considering buying one of those aluminum stands or screw in legs but those both cost around $200 and up.
This would be for my Asher electro hawaiian Jr. btw

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2020 11:00 am    

You get what you pay for. Deluxe34 stands are spendy, but they're excellent. And they're customizable to fit almost anything, even a pair of lapsteels at once.

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2020 11:14 am    

I use a Hercules Z-stand. It's far more stable than legs or any purpose-built steel stand I've tried.

Don Barnhill

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2020 11:16 am    

I just got this awesome stand for my lap steel at amazon.com. Assembled in a few minutes, this stand is very well made and comes with a great set of locking wheels as well as the adjustable feet. See the measurements at amazon to see if it will work out for you.
All items with a few extras were included in the well packed box. Highly recommended.
Here’s the link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079YWMH91/

USA company and sells for $69. 1 year warranty.

35” to the top.

Joel Meginsky

Springfield,MA,USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2020 1:28 pm     Steel stand

I use a walker. Light and inexpensive (at Goodwill).

Joel Meginsky, aka J Walker

Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2020 2:58 pm    

Laughing Laughing Laughing That would be my choice. Avail everywhere. (Free .. in some dumpsters)

David Venzke

SE Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2020 6:06 pm    

+1 on the Z-stand. I have one made by On-Stage Stands and it's rock solid. I have a plywood platform on top covered with inexpensive rubber shelf liner. No-slip, all-grip. I also own a Deluxe34 that will hold a number of different lap steels and is reliable, but if I had to choose just one it would be the Z-stand.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2020 7:43 pm    

this one looks promising for a larger console 2,3 or 4 neck. might have to tweak on it for the correct height. there are others that are on this design. some a bit less expensive.

https://reverb.com/p/ultimate-support-js-mps1-jamstands-multi-purpose-keyboad-slash-mixer-stand

Paul Seager

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2020 12:02 am    

I'm 6'2", 34" inside leg and I use what is often referred to as a "double-braced X-stand", designed for keyboards.

Mainly it's used for a Rickenbacker double 8 string, whether I'm either sitting or standing. I've used the same stand for single 6 strings.

No mods were needed for the Ricky but for the 6 strings (which are all felt-backed) I used an old shelf with velcro on the steel side and a couple of brackets underneath to stop things sliding about.

The first X-model I bought was a low-price Bepesco. It's lightweight, packs flat, takes 30 seconds to set up, very stable and still in use today. I borrow a K&M X-stand when I practise in a friends basement. Also recommended and if I was to buy another it would be a K&M.

Stages are never quite flat so grab some beer-coasters to make things stable!

\paul

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2020 11:34 am    

I use an x brace stand with a plywood table (covered with indoor/outdoor carpet)

I have plenty of room for my steel, effects, mic and mic mixer and velcro holds down to it great!

It's stable and adjustable. I also added some metal clips to the bottom that hold on to the stand. They are called "broom clips" or hardware hangers...

Don Barnhill

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2020 1:16 pm    

Nice set up. Thanks for the pic!

David Irving

South Australia, Australia
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2020 8:45 pm    

I got one of these: https://www.musoscorner.com.au/xtreme-keyboard-stand-heavy-duty-and-adjustable

It's adjustable for height and length, and folds flat. I screwed a sheet of MDF on top and stuck rubber sheet on it so the guitar doesn't slide around.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2020 9:34 am    

Here is a stand I put together for my Melbert steels.

Eric Gross

Perkasie PA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2020 8:11 am    

I use a $35 dollar keyboard "X" stand, on top I put a piece of shelf from an unused entertainment center, on the shelf I put some cupboard grip material so the steel doesn't slide, and velcro for my effects, which is convenient because I can make adjustments on the fly. Setup time is about 2 minutes, I use a One Spot for power to the effects. I am 6', height of stand is no problem.

Christopher Blood

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2020 11:04 am    

Some interesting ideas here.
I went ahead and ordered and X style keyboard stand and will use one of these ideas until I can afford a legit stand or adjustable legs.
Tom Campbell: what are those things sticking out of the top of the stand. I assume they are to hold the two guitars in position.
I might do this or do the board with either carpet or rubber shelving mat on top.
Dom Franco: Does the carpet keep the guitar from sliding around?
Paul Seager: Does the rubber shelving mat interact with the guitar's finish at all?
Thanks for all your input.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2020 7:28 am    

Those black "things" that are sticking up hold the guitar in position. They are a small bolt and nut. I then used a black "bolt-cover" to prevent scratching.

Christopher Blood

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2020 11:13 am    

Ok, I got the X keyboard stand and I really don't see it working out. Not giving up yet though. I have to raise the stand to the highest notch for it to be high enough, but then the stand seems not so stable. I would like to be able to play standing without hunching over.

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2020 11:59 am    

Christopher,
Not all x brace stands are the same height I shopped for the highest one. I also made some pvc pipe extensions Painted black, (4inch) and then the extra height with the plywood table was tall enough for me to stand and play.

Don Barnhill

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2020 9:46 am    

Christopher Blood wrote:
Ok, I got the X keyboard stand and I really don't see it working out. Not giving up yet though. I have to raise the stand to the highest notch for it to be high enough, but then the stand seems not so stable. I would like to be able to play standing without hunching over.

Stability is why I recommended the stand that I did. Rock solid and adding the plywood table and spacers would get it to desired height if needed. Good luck!

Carl McLaughlin

St.Stephen,New Brunswick,Can
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2020 1:06 pm     lap steel stand

I HAVE USED AN ALUMINUM WALKER, WICH IS FOLDABLE,LIGHT AND ADJUSTABLE IN HEIGHT.AS YOU GET OLDER IT CAN HELP YOU GET HOME.LOL
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it.

Joe Elk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2020 6:43 pm    

I agree with Carl. I have paid 6 dollars for one. They are sturdy and stable
At home use all that time
Joe Elk Central Ohio