The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  PSG Newbie Recording
Justin Schack

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2020 10:38 am    

Hey Folks,

I bought a StageOne from Doug Earnest a couple years back and spent a little time, with considerable help from you all on the Forum, learning the (very) basics.

I recently recorded an original song with several PSG parts on it and figured I'd share to show a bit of progress on the instrument. Far from a professional recording (and my singing definitely needs work) but here it is for anyone who wants to have a listen:

https://soundcloud.com/st-justin/dear-angie

Garry Moore

USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2020 6:51 am    

That was cool. I liked the lyrics too.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2020 7:15 am    

Overall, I'd say that's a pretty good effort! More than a little '70s influence, kinda like early Flying Burrito Bros. or Pure Prairie League stuff.

There's potential there. Mr. Green

I'd bring up the bass, add some changy flat-top rhythm and EFX, and lose the compressor on the lead guitar.

But what do I know?

Allen Sells

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2020 12:04 pm    

That's pretty good, Did you have any PSG experience prior?What type of amp, tone bar,ect did you use? I'm not familar with SoundCloud is that where you got the backing track?

Justin Schack

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2020 4:46 am    

Garry and Donny, thanks a lot!

I'm a big Burrito Bros. fan, so makes sense you'd hear that influence, Donny. And there's an acoustic rhythm track in there, but perhaps a bit buried, and to my ears the bass is already quite prominent. I actually worried whether it was too much. But I appreciate the feedback!

Allen, thank you. Before I bought the StageOne I had no PSG experience. Have played 6-string guitar since I was 7. Started messing with banjo and lap steel a decade or so ago. I think the tone bar is a Dunlop, but I forget the dimensions. I played this through a Tyler JT-14 amp, which is a Princeton Reverb circuit with a 12" speaker built by a guy near me in NJ. It has a mid switch on the back, which I believe I had engaged, with the mid dial turned to about 5. As for the backing track, that's all me playing different instruments and overdubbing them in Logic Pro X. I started by just playing acoustic guitar and singing the lead vocal at the same time, and recording them with two different mikes. Then I added in bass, PSG, electric guitar, harmony vocal, drums.

I will admit that the PSG intro and (especially) the PSG solo are comped from multiple takes! I've taken some online lessons but the finished product makes me sound more accomplished on the instrument than I really am. I definitely had in my head what I wanted to do but stringing together each lick you hear on this track fluidly did not happen in one take.

Allen Sells

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2020 12:48 pm     Stage One

Great effort, I'm sure those there's a lot of dubbing and mixing on those perfect records we hear everyday. I'm going to send a link of the song to my niece Angie.

Justin Schack

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2020 7:42 am    

Thanks, Allen!