| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fake Reverb Advert!
Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2020 5:01 am    

I was checking out stuff on Reverb, and saw this ad:

https://reverb.com/item/34823213-appallachian-tom-warner-guitar-2019-l-body-myrtlewood-2019-satin

My first reaction was "Why is he charging $105 more than Tom Warner currently quotes for a Myrtle or other hardwood reso? But hey, if someone will pay it, fine! But when I looked at the pics, to see if there was anything "extra" about this one, I thought it looked like a birch ply reso - Tom's standard ones. Then, when looking at the picture of the soundhole with the label inside, I realized I'd seen that pic, or one very much like it, recently - and quickly found this ad for a Tom Warner reso that sold just 24 hours or so ago. All the pics are copies from this ad:

https://www.resohangout.com/classified/11120

Was the new owner trying to flip it fast? He probably does not even have it yet.... But if so, why is he describing a different guitar - Myrtle instead of Birch ply, Large Body instead of "Model 27" (this looks like the same body outline, but I presume might have significantly less depth like the early Dobro model 27 did). Also, note that he says "Paypal accepted. Friends and family of course." I don't know if you can use Paypal with Reverb.com these days, but I do know that if you use Friends and Family, you lose most of your rights and ability to seek a refund.

So maybe there is a logical explanation for all of this - maybe he needs to take pics of his Myrtle reso but is not at home and just used another Tom Warner reso as place holder - but I'd be very leery of dealing with him. I'm waiting to see how Reverb deals with this.

Ultimately, let it serve as a reminder to be cautious when dealing with used gear - even on Reverb!

Edit - between when I started this post and when I hit "send", Reverb (or the seller) took the listing down. You can still see the advert, but it's marked "unavailable".

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2020 9:07 am    

The photos are of course of the same guitar listed the other day on Resohangout by Steve Winters in Colorado who listed it for $650.

Along with listing the guitar incorrectly and asking $1700 the “flipper” is a poor speller.

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2020 12:34 pm    

zero feedback, wants "friends and family", hopefully everyone knows those two things don't go well together. I don't even think Reverb accepts paypal payments.

These scammers have to get their acts together.

(I only do friends and family with paypal if I'm selling something but I will document feedback on multiple sites. I think it's like someone sending you a check back in the old days. A lot of these things are pretty heavily biased towards the buyer. But if someone has zero feedback and wants friends and family that's a pretty good sign they are going to keep your money and no guitar for you!)
Michael Harrington

Michigan
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2020 12:37 pm    

Reverb accepts payments via PayPal but does not allow sellers to receive funds into their PayPal account anymore. I found out by accident when one of my items sold and I had to link my bank account in order to get squared up. Maybe the seller caught on and bailed..