The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Spark Amp
Reed Spencer

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2020 5:12 pm    

Just received the Spark Amp for my guitar and decided to try it with my Stage One steel. I wasn't getting much bass out of my Fender Blues Jr. on the steel and I don't have a pro's ear but damn it blew away (in my opinion) the Fender.
There are multiple 'amp' styles to choose from on the Spark. Anyone else tried it? Would like to hear from some 'real' steel players that have tried it.

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2020 5:00 pm    

I’m gonna be getting a vintage Spark...... I figure that by the time I get it, it will be vintage !!......Jim

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2020 11:16 am    

Reed, from what I can gather, it's a practice amp with a lot of features. Not sure how well it works with steel and the speakers are very small, so bass has to be limited. I have tried a variety of acoustic amps with pedal steel and was rather uninspired by the tone. Spark has a few good reviews but from order to delivery has been extremely slow. If you like it then that's all that matters.

Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2020 5:46 pm    

I'm waiting on a Spark amp as well. They get your money upfront of course. As for speaker size, it is meant as a practice amp and in a practice room, it doesn't take much.

Bill Duncan

Post  Posted 28 Jul 2020 3:08 pm    

Well, surprise. I was informed by UPS that my Sparke amp is to be delivered tomorrow. They must be shipping.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 3:44 am    

Bill, I trust you to give it a thorough workout and a proper review. These amps have a lot of hoopla surrounding them. A real world test should cut to the chase if any of it works for pedal steel. Looking forward to your response.

Bill Duncan

Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 1:43 pm    

I love this little amp. Mike, my picking buddy and I have played all afternoon. The sound is very good. It is smaller than expected, but it is loud. I like the way my steel sounds with it, the reverb and delay work and sound great. We played around with the amp sounds, but it sounds great set to clean. It has a surprising amount of bottom end. Clean really is clean. I have not noticed any mid-range honking. We haven't heard any breakup or distortion. It has a throaty, full sound. It sounds too big to be coming from such a small package.
Whether single note or with big chords, it stays clean. I have not used the accompaniment functions yet because Mike and I played so much. Mike was using a tube amp and his '59 Gretsch and I had no problem being heard. Mike and I both agree the steel sounds very good through the Spark. I love it. It is a practice amp, but it would be fine to take out to friends' homes to jam. It is not a replacement for my Session 400, but it is a great little amp!

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 1:56 pm    

Bill, thanks for an honest opinion. Amazing what they packed in such a small package. If it does half of its claims it a winner. At least for us, a quality sounding practice amp. How cool is that.

Bill Duncan

Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 2:27 pm    

Larry, I am really surprised at how good the reverb and delay are. Those are the only accessories I have used so far. I am going to play around with it tonight. When Mike and I are together all we do is pick and I didn't get to experiment with the many bells and whistles. I am also surprised that the mid-range was no problem. I have E66's on both necks. I did not use my RV3. I went straight in and used the onboard reverb/delay. It really is a great sounding little amp. I don't really care at this point if it doesn't do anything else. I am happy with it.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2020 6:25 pm    

Bill, I almost pulled the trigger on one a few months ago. My only hesitation was having too many amps now. I have the liberty of playing at serious volume at home so I questioned my need for it. Instead I bought a Line 6 Pod HD and made a mount for the steel leg. I use that for effects and to tweak the EQ and volume to my liking. I found a renewed use for amps I wasn't using with this intro the power amp, or effects return input. I may develop the urge to get one anyway.

Bill Duncan

Post  Posted 30 Jul 2020 5:07 am    

Larry, I know what you mean about a lot of amps. I have a fairly large picking room, but it is filling up with amps as well as guitars. I would not use the Spark to play out unless it was only jamming and drinking beer at friends' homes. It is certainly good for that. I "may" try it at church after I have had it a while. I do want to work through the accessories it has. At $225.00 it is a bargain. My wife spends that on groceries.

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2020 5:19 am    

I too just recieved my Spark !,,.....I don’t think that you can own too many amps.....I’d be willing to bet that I’m in the top 5% of the forum that owns what some would say “too many amps” , yet owning this little gem is a treat....I can’t believe how loud, clean and clear this little amp is for its size ! ......The features blow me away ! .....It can be used so many different ways.....It took forever to get here, but was packaged very well, and I’m very pleased with it....Now I have a small amp that I can bring with me to Jamaica !!

JB Bobbitt

California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2020 9:50 am    

I just ordered one.

Any bets on whether I receive the amp before or after I finish my lap steel build?

Thanks a heap,
-jbb

JB Bobbitt

California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2020 11:12 am    

And FYI, the web site shows stock left for the pre-sale: Spark: 48 (43202/43250)
Spark + bag: 47 (15873/15920)

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2020 11:50 am    

Having over 35 amps of various sizes I have to pass for awhile. I know I should sell some and get the newest gear. The latest and greatest got me into this fix. I'm waiting until the thing is around for awhile and see what's next.

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2020 1:06 pm    

JB,
Shave your face clean, and then don’t shave until you get your Spark....When your Spark arrives you’ll look like Billy Gibbons !!😱😱😱

Larry,
Don’t plug into a Spark !!.....or it’ll be amp #36.......Jim

JB Bobbitt

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2020 7:27 am    

SPARK AMP order update:

July 31 2020: ordered
August 6 2020: "Partially Shipped", Scheduled delivery: Friday August 7.

They said the bag and amp ship separately. I'm expecting the bag on Friday. We'll see.

Bill Duncan

Post  Posted 7 Aug 2020 5:44 am    

Ths Spark is my go to amp at home now. I love this little amp. It sounds good, is small, and has more options than a new pickup. The eq's actually work. Just a touch on a dial makes a big difference. It hooks up to the phone wirelessly quick and easy as well.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2020 6:02 am    

James Quackenbush wrote:
I don’t think that you can own too many amps.....

Bravo!

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2020 6:24 pm    

Mine is due to be delivered Monday. I'd like to see what settings are being used by those that are using these little amps,,,,????

Dale Stacy

Pontotoc, Ms. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2020 2:43 pm     Spark

My friend received one a few days ago & wanted me to try it out.
Mistake on my part. Had to have one. Unbelievable sound coming
Out of such a small amp. Great reverb & delay .
Much better than the Peavey 112 in my opinion.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2020 6:59 am    

Seems like all the controls on these amps are MUCH more sensitive than any other amp I've used. I'd love to hear what settings others are using. To me the "clean" is too clean,,or "sharp/cutting",,,so far I like the acoustic,,,but man, each touch of the controls makes a ton of difference,,at least to my old ears.

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2020 10:09 am    

I ordered one 2 weeks ago, and it's supposed to ship this week. Don't quite understand how they can have them 'in stock' and not be able to ship them sooner, but looking forward to getting it.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2020 5:01 am    

While I would agree this is an interesting amp in the $200 to $300 range, I read above that we may start the comparison thing, like mentioned to a Blues Jr. The 15 watt Blues Jr , El84 based , is Fenders response to the VOX line of small amps, such as the AC15. While many use it, me included for small guitar gigs and now and then rehearsal ( with the Steel) its purpose is not to be a clean amp, it doesn't even sound like other Fender 6V6 or 6L6 amps.

The SPARK is quite a nice concept. Well thought out apparently. 40 watts, 2x4 inch speakers, I guess the jury will report back ! Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2020 5:42 am    

Here's a link to 25% 0ff. Brings it down to $224.00.

CLICK HERE

Can any of you post a demo so we can here the sound?

Ron