The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP Hiram Olsen
Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2020 5:56 am    

Hiram Olsen RIP!
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2020 7:57 am    

When my niece married in Honolulu 30 years ago, the band the entire weekend was the Hiram Olsen Trio. For the first two nights, Hiram's son Casey was the steel guitarist. On the third night, the legend Barney Isaacs played steel. I spoke to both Casey and Barney at length that weekend, an enjoyable part of a great weekend.

Also saw Hiram when he and Kalani Fernandes backed up Jerry Byrd at ISGC, another great highlight.

RIP Mr. Olsen. You were great.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2020 10:48 am     casey olsen

Casey seemed very approachable and friendly IMO, I talked with him at length about his Green Canopus he was playing at the Sheraton in Waikiki a few years back, he told me his Dad Hiram had a Sho-Bud Super pro at home that he played occasionally.He explained that he was using the C 13th tuning and what that was, and gave me a couple of tips also.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2020 2:58 pm    

Sorry to hear this! Hiram was a Great Musician! My connection, we became acquaintances thru Jerry Byrd. I have been listening to Jerry Byrd, since before I started to school 60 years ago. Hiram Olsen was Music Pals and Friends with Jerry Byrd for many years. Anyone that knew Jerry Byrd would know that he played and recorded music with Only the Best Musicians. Again, Hiram was one of the Best and he was a Great Guy too! I'm honored to have had that connection! Aloha RIP Hiram Olsen!

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2020 3:53 am    

Condolences to the Olsen ohana. Rest in peace, Maestro.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2020 12:59 pm    

RIP a strong player and by all accounts, a good soul.

Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2020 6:43 pm    

My understanding is that Casey , Greg Sardinha, Alan Akaka were students of Jerry Byrd.

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2020 5:31 pm    

Hiram will be missed by many. He was one of the best backup guitarist ever.

Hiram always backed Jerry Byrd and Jerry insisted that Hiram was the best backup guitarist.

Hiram backed his son, Casey, when he became a professional steel player and they played a number of years at the famous Halekulani's House Without A Key in Waikiki.

Dana says, "My understanding is that Casey, Greg Sardinha, Alan Akaka were students of Jerry Byrd"

That is correct and you can add Paul Kim and Owana Salazar. All of these players played professionally in Waikiki and elsewhere.