The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Paul Franklin's E9 Pedal Steel Vocabulary
John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2020 9:44 am    

Hi Everyone -

I hope you all are staying safe and healthy. I'm very pleased to announce a brand-new course I've just launched called Paul Franklin's E9 Pedal Steel Vocabulary.

For many years I have received requests from players to do a "Licks" course, where I demonstrate some of the classic sounds that have made the pedal steel guitar so beloved to us and to the public. I have hesitated to do so because I believe that just learning a bunch of licks is not a great way to learn how to play our instrument. There needed to be more to it than just a series of unconnected licks with no guidance on how to use them.

I wanted to find an approach that shows the vocabulary, but also teaches a bit of pedal steel history as to where these licks came from, shows you how to adapt and change any lick to fit other styles, and how I use this process to generate endless licks. To reach that goal, I recorded 50 lessons where I break the licks down into small components and make them easy to combine and alter. I cover some of the trademark sounds of the early greats and many of my own licks taken from my 50 years of live and studio playing.

These are the "pedal steel cliches" that artists and producers will often reference when you get a gig with a band or on a recording session. The marketing copy says "50 Licks", but there are many more than that as I dive deep into modifying them. As you work through the course, you can hear how I have absorbed the key playing styles of the early greats and added - or subtracted - to their ideas to create more. The ability to create an original part based on a style or genre is not magical...it comes from being familiar with this vocabulary and studying and analyzing it...learning how and why it works. Once you have done that, you now know how to generate your own new licks at will.

To learn more about the course, watch a trailer and read the FAQs, click here: E9 Pedal Steel Vocabulary

I hope you find the course as fun and inspiring as I did making it.

Paul

Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2020 4:09 pm    

Probably some of the best money you can spend. I've been playing for a lot of years and have still learned a ton from this. What's great about this course is that "licks" are like building blocks and can be tied together to make some pretty incredible new licks. I'm amazed at the phenomenal resources for learning , that are available now.

Corbin Pratt

Nashville
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2020 11:43 am    

I just bought this last week. Amazing course. Thanks Paul.

Show Pro SD-10, Shaw Amplifiers, Kemper

Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2021 5:06 pm    

This course is just plain fun! Great licks that challenge technique and some beautiful easy licks that sound great and are fun to play. A great deal!!!

Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2021 4:44 am    

This is a very informative addition to the PFM and as a stand alone lesson it has great value.
I think of each lick as a stepping stone on a path to becoming a better and more versatile player.
Thanks for sharing this with us.

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2021 8:38 am    

Does it come with TABS ? Thanks.

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2021 12:51 pm    

Hi John-

Paul does not use TAB in this course, he talk-teaches the moves. The course is an exploration of creating new variations on existing licks, and that'd be too much to TAB out.

We do include a downloadable blank "Lesson Notes" template that you can use to TAB out your own favorite versions, make notes on phrasing and nuances, and create a personalized Study Guide to refer to.