The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Larry Cummings RIP
Doug Jones

Oregon & Florida
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2020 9:34 am    

Long time Pacific NW player Larry Cummings has passed away. His deteriorating health of 9 years didn't stop him from sitting at the steel and entertaining many. He started playing steel at a very young age and was in bands performing the clubs by age 15. Along with his talent, his jovial and engaging manner kept him busy as a player. Originally from the Sweethome Oregon area and later performing mostly in the Springfield-Eugene area. He and his lovely wife Beth Ann enjoyed their beautiful ranch home up in the hills East of Springfield up the McKenzie River region. Larry was a master appliance repair tech and inventive tinkerer of the steel guitar. He is credited as the creator of the BELA gearless tuner. He had countless friends and known to most steelers in the PNW region.

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2020 10:59 am    

Doug,

Thanks for reporting this to the forum.

My condolences to Larry's wife, Beth Ann and to Larry's family and friends.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Danny Sneed

Morristown,Az.U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2020 1:28 pm    

Larry's been a friend forever. This is a sad day. He will really be missed, never forgotten. A wonderful musician.
See ya on the other side.
Love, Danny and Ruthie

Wayne Joseph

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2020 8:50 pm     Larry

So sad to hear Larry has passed away. We was truly a gentleman. I got my first pedal steel from him and he was always so helpful and encouraging. I used to go watch and listen to him and his wife play. I would sit real close to his amp so I could soak up some of what he was playing. I was just a beginner [still am] and he always treated me as one of the Steel Guitar brotherhood. Also met most of the other steel players in the Eugene area through him. He even came over once and fixed my washing machine ! In later years I moved to the Coast and one day I heard a knock on the door and it was Larry and Carl Johnson, came all the way over here to visit ! I really miss those days and my steel friends. Larry was a great player and a really fine man, they don't make them like him anymore, he is very much missed.

Steve Cattermole

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2020 9:56 am    

So sad to hear of his passing. I met Larry about 7 years ago at Frank and Fran Carter's house for a jam session. He pulled out his Infinity guitar with his name on the front and just played great. He was a sweetheart of a guy. Hanging out with Larry and Beth Ann was a joy I won't forget. My condolences Beth Ann

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2020 12:17 am    

Godspeed Larry.

Say hi to Nokie.

Condolences Beth Ann.

Len Ryder

Penticton B.C.
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2020 9:18 am    

Met Larry & his wife in Yuma Az. quite awhile back through his playing partner Jerry Ott. (also from the Oregon area.) Only heard him play once but very impressive. Sad day for all concerned.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2020 9:26 am    

Sorry I never met Larry. Sad to lose another player and innovator. Who can tell me about his BELA gearless tuner, is that a pedal steel thing?