The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  need tuning peg replacement?
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2020 5:02 am    

I need to find some replacement keys for my lap steel, I dont have a clue of where to look...Help???
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2020 5:37 am    

Maybe here? You also can replace the buttons on those you have.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1311.R7.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xkluson.TRS0&_nkw=kluson+tuners+3x3&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=12&_odkw=fender+stringmaster+steel+guitar

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2020 6:10 am    

Norman,Thanks,I found some on Amazon,If they don't fit I'll return em'
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2020 7:08 am    

It's relatively simple to rejuvenate old Kluson Deluxes. I've de-gunked, re-lubed, and re-bottoned dozens of 'em. If you just wanna replace 'em, the Gotoh TK-0700-001 strip tuners are excellent.

Last edited by Jack Hanson on 2 Aug 2020 6:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Gary S. Lynch

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2020 4:55 pm    

Stu,
Whenever possible, I like to keep to keep the original tuners.
I am with Jack on replacement.
I just got a 55 National Dynamic with new white button tuners.
The seller also enclosed the original tuners with no buttons.
$15 at Stew Mac and I am going to put the originals back on with these cream buttons.
55 Klusons pictured below just keep that vintage look IMHO.

Stew Mac has a How to Video.. maybe worth a try.

Jim Newberry

Seattle, Upper Left America
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2020 4:57 pm    

Within the past hour, I removed, opened up, re-installed, then broke one on an early 50’s National Chicagoan. Sigh. String 4 was very loose and once I reinstalled it, one of the little tabs snapped when tuning up. I had already had the stewmac site up, chosen a model and all I had to do was hit “Checkout”, so I did.

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/tuning-machines/solid-peghead-guitar-tuning-machines/golden-age-vintage-style-3onplate-tuners.html

It looks like the Gotohs would work, too.

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2020 5:12 pm    

Stu, here is some info on replacing just the buttons from Stewmac.com. They also sell individual buttons.
https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-ideas/online-resources/guitar-tuning-machine-installation-and-repair-information/replacing-damaged-tuner-knobs.html

I know you don't like to do a lot of repairs, so I would caution you if you are buying replacement machines, be sure and measure the mounting holes carefully.

Also, there are 2 types of strip tuners...one has string posts for steel strings and the other for classical gut string guitars. Try and be sure you get the right type and the proper dimensions.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2020 6:08 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Also, there are 2 types of strip tuners...one has string posts for steel strings and the other for classical gut string guitars. Try and be sure you get the right type and the proper dimensions.

This is an excellent point. The correct Gotoh part number for strip tuners for use on solid headstocks is TK-0700-001.

Jim Newberry

Seattle, Upper Left America
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2020 7:54 pm    

Jim Newberry wrote:
Within the past hour, I removed, opened up, re-installed, then broke one on an early 50’s National Chicagoan. Sigh. String 4 was very loose and once I reinstalled it, one of the little tabs snapped when tuning up. I had already had the stewmac site up, chosen a model and all I had to do was hit “Checkout”, so I did.

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/tuning-machines/solid-peghead-guitar-tuning-machines/golden-age-vintage-style-3onplate-tuners.html

It looks like the Gotohs would work, too.

I got the Golden Age tuners from StewMac today and they are an exact fit replacement. I used my old screws since the new ones were smaller in diameter. They look great and work very smoothly. It was a fine update.

Also, the buttons are cream instead of white and match the rest of the “plastic” stuff on the guitar perfectly.

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps

Don Barnhill

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2020 2:17 am    

Very helpful post. Thanks Jim!

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2020 7:40 am    

On parts for old/vintage guitars/banjo/mandolins etc I email Elderly, Bob Smakula in WV, Gryphon in Palo Alto CA and a few local and non local stores that are really knowledgeable, here's contacts for first 3

https://www.elderly.com/

https://www.smakula.com/

https://www.gryphonstrings.com/contact-us/

Some of the other places are Fiddlers Green, Denver Folklore, Music Emporium in Mass., the place in Rochester NY Bernunzio's