The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bill Lawrence 705 wiring questions
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2020 11:14 pm    

I'm trying to get a Lawrence 705 wired and seem to be stuck. My pickup is the newer series with 4 colored wires plus the shield. I've read prior posts and been trying every combination imaginable.

I know both banks of the 705 work because I get a little over 10k reading on my meter when I connect to the Green and Black leads, or the Red and White leads. I want to use the pickup in full humbucker mode reading about 20k on the meter. There is no coil tap switch to worry about.

I know that you have to connect the two banks to get full humbucker performance. Most sources say to tie off/solder and insulate with either tape or heat shrink the green and white leads. I've done that repeatedly and always get a reading of zero. I know my meter is working. I've tried every other combination of wires for this connection of the two banks, and get either zero or 10k, depending on the combo used.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Is it possible that there is a short in the pickup that is preventing the two banks from connecting, even though each bank works independently? I know my soldering skills are not top notch, but I can usually get the job done.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 12:51 am    

Hi Paul, try tying the red and green for humbucking. White is hot, black is ground. This worked correctly for me, measures 20.6k Ohms. Also, be sure when you're checking it that your ohmmeter range is set high enough, 200k ohms or higher. It will register as open if set to 20k and the total series resistance of both coils exceeds that.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2020 3:28 am    

Success!! I use the same meter and I had been setting it to 20k. When I switched to 200k I got a steady reading of 20.9/21.0. So the pickup is good. Thanks Ian.