The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Sale of guitar
Ronnie Robertson

Alabama
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2020 12:45 pm    

Please explain what I need to do to make a sale so both ends are worked out. Thanks

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2020 1:29 pm     selling

What are you asking about that's not in the stickied posts in Steels for Sale forum? Paypal, when shipping gets paid, something like that?

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2020 1:53 pm    

Pictures an more pictures here on the forum of the top bottom an sides .Good description of the set up.
Some sellers like too receive a check an wait for check to be funded before they ship too a stranger.
It’s best when the buyers can come an check out the steel it happens once in a blue moon.

Ronnie Robertson

Alabama
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2020 2:36 pm     Mullen

So how does PayPal work. Also I am being asked to give the buyer 24 hours to check out. Is that normal. I want the buyer to be satisfied. Could we do it on FaceTime or zoom.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2020 3:05 pm    

paypal is a service online that transfers money. you pay them a fee. you have to jump through a few hoops to get signed up, but it sure makes it easy to buy and sell things on line money wise.

24 hrs try out time....who is going to pay the shipping back to if they dont like it?? make sure its agreed that the BUYER pays return shipping. you ship AFTER you get your money and you refund money if you get the item back in good shape.....i would not do this type of deal. person who buys a guitar should know what it is.

set a price. deal if you have to, if you have a great item, stick with your price. if you want to get rid of it....then deal. be as honest as you can with the description and put on plenty of GOOD clear pictures. offer to speak to the buyer on the phone and answer questions. you will be surprised how well you can get to know a person with a phone call.

again....no to the 24 hr tire kickers.

Ronnie Robertson

Alabama
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2020 3:09 pm     Mullen

Thanks so much

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2020 3:17 pm    

Another option is to have somebody like Mullen factory, Mickey Adams, Jim Palenscar, Billy Knowles, Billy Cooper, John Widgren check it out and do any fine tuning, and that should satisfy the potential buyer that the steel is in top condition.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2020 4:55 pm    

Gene Tani wrote:
Another option is to have somebody like Mullen factory, Mickey Adams, Jim Palenscar, Billy Knowles, Billy Cooper, John Widgren check it out and do any fine tuning, and that should satisfy the potential buyer that the steel is in top condition.

thats a great idea...but...that cost money....who pays for that?

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2020 7:37 pm    

If you are selling, you decide on the method of payment. I have sold a few guitars, I like to talk to the potential buyer on the telephone, and try to answer any questions. I prefer not to use paypal, I have accepted a bank check, or a personal check. It's just simpler, I think. If a personal check, the guitar won't ship until the check clears. good luck with you sale.

Don Barnhill

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2020 11:17 am    

I use PayPal all the time and find it much simpler than waiting for a check then depositing or cashing a Money Order.
Depending on the PayPal payment method by the purchaser, the money is in your bank account almost immediately.
Take a good smart phone video of the instrument, showing details and it being played. Let the buyer know he will need to purchase based on what he see in the video. Then, if acceptable, he PayPal’s the money to your account on PayPal using your email address.
If the buyer is unhappy for some reason then the cost to have it shipped back fully insured,
would be on the buyer.
Once received in “as shipped condition” you can simply refund his money with a simple click at PayPal.
If using PayPal let the buyer know in advance the payment must be made under the Friends and Family payment that way they incur the cost of using PayPal and not you.
Best of luck!

J.D.White

Lafayette, Louisiana
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2020 2:47 pm    

This is my understanding about using paypal's "goods and services" vs. "friends and family".

When the purchaser uses "goods and services", they are protected - if the item doesn't show up, is damaged, not as advertised, etc,... - you can open up a dispute with the seller thru paypal & they give the seller a certain amount of time to respond - they investigate and arbitrate and you can get your money back (it does take time).

With "friends and family" - there's no dispute option that I know of - unless that policy has changed recently.

And about using money orders, bank drafts instead of personal checks to speed things up - my credit union treats all of these the same way - they take about 3-5 business days to clear. - the teller explained that with modern technology - it's too easy to forge or fake a document. (might be different where you live)

Anyway that's been my experience - so far.

Don Barnhill

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2020 5:59 pm    

Good points! Then use the Goods and Services option.