The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Well, this escalated quickly!
Jeff Crawford

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2020 8:46 am    

Hello all,

Im a long time lurker (and short time member), who used to own an old Sierra d-10 and had started to learn a decent bit on it, but ended up in a situation where it made more sense to sell it than keep it. However I did keep my volume pedal, bar, wrench etc...I was already planning then on getting another steel...but as some of yall know other things come up. I had a short list of steels here in town I was going to go check out (Sorry I didnt make it out there Johnie King- I saw this one and fell in love), and called one of my very talented steel playing friends to ask his opinion on the different guitars on the list, and he informed me that he had a guitar for sale...and since he already had a franklin d-10, and is going to be taking delivery on a new msa legend he ordered a year or two ago in just a few weeks that he would make me a good deal on it. And boy did he ever!!!!!

This steel has been up on the forum a few times, someone at some point shortened it, and my buddy who I bought it from had Jeff up at showpro set it all back right, and do some other showpro magic while he was in there. This is enough steel for me to hang myself with as it were. Its set up 9&8 these days, and came with Bill Lawrence pickups installed, a split case, and he even threw in a nice matching steeler’s choice doublewide seat. This will most likely be all the steel I will ever need, the price was truly too good to pass on, and it operates so smoothly it should be criminal....and it sounds pretty darn ok through my old showman rig with d-130f/d-140f 15s!

Back to the woodshed!

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2020 9:11 am    

Jeff, welcome to the forum. Beautiful steel and the amp is another great piece with those JBLs. You got a keeper there. Enjoy the ride.

Jeff Crawford

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2020 11:32 am    

Thanks Larry! I cant seem to keep my hands off of this steel guitar! I think it will be a fun ride for sure! It is so inspiring to play such a beautiful instrument, I feel very drawn to it whenever I walk into my music room. Its for sure more steel than I deserve, but it keeps seducing me into practicing, so I maybe it will all equal out in time!

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2020 11:36 am    

Beautiful!

I was expecting a story of 2 fellas insulting each others mamas and so on but this is much better!

Scott Truax

Florida
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2020 11:50 am     Show Pro

Jeff,

Congrats on getting that beautiful Show Pro !

MH is a fine musician and good guy. And, I know he treated
you well. Enjoy.

Jeff Crawford

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2020 12:46 pm    

Scott, he is! I worked with him for several years, he actually found me my sierra back then! Hes been helping me out with my pickin and slidin too!

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2020 3:47 pm    

It's great to be able to learn on a decent instrument instead of something aging or cheap. Practice becomes a joy, not a chore Smile

Ron Shalita

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2020 4:15 pm    

Congrats on buying that steel! I almost bought it last November myself.. but some things came up and i had to decline! Anyway keep on picken at it everyday is a new lick!

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2020 5:28 pm    

Cool rig, but now you have no excuses for anything.

At least I could blame my poor playing on my gear when I started trying to play.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2020 6:18 pm    

Congratulations Jeff on the beautiful Sho Pro l love Jeff’s Sho Pros for sure!

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2020 6:32 pm    

That's a beauty!!!! I bet it sounds as good as it looks!!!!

Jeff Crawford

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2020 12:43 pm    

Steve,

That is very true! It reminds me of the interview with they guys from the Byrds after they all bought Nudie suits with their record advance and had a really bad show. The gist of was “it’s pretty rough getting boo’d off stage at a country bar wearing $10,000 worth of flashy Nudie suits” Laughing